CD's for coastal North Carolina cruising

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mchaffie

CD's for coastal North Carolina cruising

Post by mchaffie »

I am continuing my search for the 'right' boat, being draw to the traditional lines and value of CD's. I'd like the opinion of the board on sailing a traditional full keel CD in the relatively shallow waters/light airs of coastal Carolina. I've got my eye on a well cared for CD 28 in Oriental ... but also am drawn to the 25D or 27 (if I could locate a suitable one in Carolina or Southern Virginia area).

Any comments or insights most gratefully appreciated.

John
Bill Michne

Go for the CD 28

Post by Bill Michne »

John:

The CD 28 is a fine boat. Its 4' draft should be of no concern unless you really want to get up into the shallow creeks, in which case some kind of swing keel or keel centerboard drawing 3' or less might be more suitable. The 28 should do well in the Pamlico chop. At a draft of 5'8" we have had no problem getting where we want to go, with the exception of being able to get out our channel after the wind has been bowing hard from the southwest for a few days. Then nobody goes anywhere! But our channel is about to be dredged so shouldn't be a problem. As with any vessel, watch your charts, depth sounder, and position, and stay in the deep water.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD's for coastal North Carolina cruising

Post by Neil Gordon »

mchaffie wrote:I've got my eye on a well cared for CD 28 in Oriental ... but also am drawn to the 25D or 27 ...
They're all good boats and they have a lot in common. I see two parts to your decision...

First, even though we debate endlessly where the extra space is, the 28 is, in fact, bigger than her sisters. So if more people on board and more stuff is an issue, bigger might be better.

Second... perhaps more important... there's a 28 you have in your sights and a 25D and/or 27 you have in your dreams. Unless you actually prefer the 25D or 27, go for the boat you can get.

I've had LIQUIDITY for 10 years, with zero regrets.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

Not Necessarily

Post by tartansailor »

Pick the boat that really turns you on, not what someone else says.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Garrick Martin
Pirogue

Post by Garrick Martin »

John,

We have been sailing our CD 33 out of Oriental for over 5 years. The 4'10" draft has never really been a problem as long as we are paying attention to the charts etc. Also, the Oriental area has a very active CD owners association.

GM
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Draft, Speed, Full or Fin Keel

Post by CruiseAlong »

Choices, Choices, Choices....speed/draft/keel or fin

If you compare closely you may find that the modified full keel actually draws less draft than the fin/skeg designs...i.e. it has more surface area but higher and longer in the water..... unless one is talking about a drop fin keel or centerboard. If one does go aground I perfer the full keel, especially the molded-in variety such as the CD. It is not going to try to push the bolted fin keel up through the boat...lot less damage. Kedging off an accidental grounding has been effective for me.

If you have crab pots in your area then you will like the idea that you will hang up on them as much...the crab line can run along the bottom of the keel and there is no aft skeg to catch on....

But the full keel does have additional surface area so it is a bit slower in light wind...but most here will tell you that the CDs surprise you as to their speed in light wind (narrow beam).
Bob B

Owned two of the three

Post by Bob B »

I have owned a CD27 and a CD25D and like them both. The 28 is always a beauty so if that is what suits you go ahead. Just for comment's sake, I have found the 27 a better sailor than the 25D. The engine in the 27 was a Yanmar 1GM that was underpowered for the boat in the sounds of NC. The 25D is about right for that engine and I never had much problem getting it where I needed to go. The storage on the larger boats is substantially more but if you are a couple or single hand a lot, the 25D is ideal. If you bring guests often get the bigger boat.
I echo the comments about the Oriental area. It is one of the best sailing areas. We bought our first CD in Oriental and lived on Ocracoke. A great place to sail for the day or any length of time. We have gone through the 27, 25D and a typhoon and love them all, each in its own element.

Have fun and enjoy being a part of this great group of sailors.

Bob B.
chase

cd for coastal carolina

Post by chase »

John,

I bought my Cape Dory 30 back in August and I've cruised the coastal Carolinas for 5 weeks since then, from Cape Lookout to Charleston. I believe the 28 is much the same boat as the 30 and I am very very happy with my boat. I've done 30-70 mile "offshore" trips and felt like I was in the right boat and done lots of gunkholing in shallower waters. I just finished a two-week trip returning my boat from Charleston to Wrightsville Beach. I went way back in the creeks of Cape Romain, where I once took my centerboard trailerable and enjoyed the shallower waters. I navigated creeks with 4.5 - 5 foot soundings at low tide, creeks that are barely as wide as my boat is long.

I've determined that I have the perfect boat for our area and only grow to appreciate it more. I've decided that with a four-foot draft, we really do not have the issues that bigger cruisers have with their 5- 6 foot drafts. With careful navigation, in places like Lockwood Folly, etc, one can get by without anxiety in a boat drawing 4 feet or less.

That said, I have not been north of Beaufort yet. There's got to plenty of places there with five feet of water to explore. For questionable areas just plan with the tides. I'll spend 2-3 weeks up that way this summer.

I hope you get your boat-

Chase
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Carolina Cape Dory Sailing

Post by Parfait's Provider »

John (and everyone else),

Come on down to New Bern for the CDSOA Carolinas Fleet planning meeting on the 18th; we will be at Captain Ratty's on the upper deck around 11 AM. We would love to meet you and tell our tales of sailing our CDs in those shallow waters. Over the years, I think we have probably had more problems with engines than draft.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
mchaffie

Carolinas Fleet planning meeting

Post by mchaffie »

Ken,

Thanks for the invite to the Carolinas Fleet planning meeting on the 18th; I've freed up next weekend and plan on driving down to New Bern next Sat morning. How does one get to Captain Ratty's ? :roll:

John
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Captain Ratty's

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Map and directions to

Captain Ratty's
202 Middle St.
New Bern, NC
252-633-2088

http://tinyurl.com/metv8
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
marilou

Post by marilou »

You may want to look at the CD 270. Offers the benefit of the full keel, while giving you a foot or more less draft. Being that it is a centerboard and not a drop keel, it does not have the problems associated with a heavy lifting mechanism (Board weight - 90 lbs. in water). It also does well in light air and other conditions with board up (lower wetted surface). With its somewhat wider beam, offers large interior space and headroom equal to many larger boats.

I believe that there is one for sale in Wilmington, N.C.

Any on the Cape Dorys that you are looking at would make great boats for sailing the Coastal areas. Good luck finding your boat! :wink:
RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

I have a CD 28 for sale in Washington, NC

Post by RichMason »

In case your preferred purchase falls through. It is listed in the for sale section of this board.

Best,
Rich
Rich Mason