Recommendations for a dinghy?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dustintodd

Recommendations for a dinghy?

Post by dustintodd »

I am going to put my CD 25 on a mooring this summer but I have no dinghy. I am looking for a good deal for something sturdy. Any thoughts on the outboard is appreciated also.

- Dustin -
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

There was a recent thread on this. If you do a search you should find more. What are you looking for, hard, RIB, inflatable?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

My recomendation

Post by Paul Grecay »

I have spent more money on cheap dinghys than I care to admit. Finally I bought a Walker Bay 8 and it is perfect. Indestructable, light and easy to manage....and best of all, it doesn't leave a mark or gouge if I bump up against the hull. I recommend one. Sometimes I tow it and it does fine.....I also bought the sail kit...which can be fun when anchoring.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Walker Bay 8

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'd second Paul's comments about the Walker Bay 8 (and I said so in the earlier thread). It's inexpensive, lightweight, won't mar your topsides and it tows well.

The only negative that I've found is that this plastic boat won't take antifouling paint (don't try, the solvents will dissolve it)--so if you have to store it in the water, as I do, you'll have to pull it regularly and scrape off all the sea squirts, sea weed and barnacles.

Best of luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Didereaux

Here are two really good 'hard' ones

Post by Didereaux »

The two 'hard' models I am familiar with are 'The Dink' and 'Fatty Knees'.

The fatty knees is top end w/sails, molded lapstrakes and found on Hinckleys heh Used about $2500-3000

The one I own is 'The Dink'. Double hull fiberglass, unsinkable. Weight is slightly over 100#, mfr says less(they LIE!). Tows really well and can handle upto about 5hp engine, load cap around 600#. Length is 9+ft. Very easy to row, and has a small(read very small) skeg/keel that actually helps.

VERY stable. Because it is FG you can bottom paint it and leave in the water; HOWEVER, make or buy a cover, pumping out dingys really sucks after heavy rains! ;)

I have seen these used in the $300-600 range. It wouldn't be much of a job to put on leeboards and add a mast so you could sail it.

As others have mentioned the Walker boats are nice, plus fairly cheap, but as was pointed out they are plastic, not easily repaired at all, and pretty much un-paintable.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Jack & Jo Chamberlain

Boss Boat

Post by Jack & Jo Chamberlain »

Jack & I bought a used Boss Boat when we were in Daytona Beach last January. We were not familiar with them but they are fiberglass dinghies shaped like an inflatable. We haven't tried to put it up on deck yet because we have our 8' Pilot there now, but it should fit. Anyway, the Boss has all the advantages of a hard dinghy with the stability of an inflatable. The bottom is like a rigid inflatable so it rows well and our 2 horse Honda moves it well enough for a sheltered anchorage.
Jack & Jo Chamberlain
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
you can get a $400 sand piper 8'6" long from boaters world,
they have small boats starting at 8' feet long...
its hard to beat that price for new...
and just put a 3.5 hp on the the back or row or sail...
hows that for you...
winthrop
Len

Post by Len »

Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Dyer Dhow

Post by Kurt »

I'm partial to the Dyer Dhow...available in either an 8' or 9' model. The sailing models feature a 2 piece mast so the whole rig can be carried inside the boat when in tow. The 9' model is the first fiberglass production boat ever built (circa 1949?) and they're built identically the same way today as back then. They're beamy, stable and sail/row/outboard like a dream.
viejo

Post by viejo »

FWIW, there's a guy here in Jax that is talking to Andy V. at Robin Hood about getting the rights to build the CD10 in a production mode. If that works out, I'll let ya'll know.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

A little Dyer trivia...

Post by bhartley »

My grandfather bought that first Dyer Dow off the floor at the NY Boat Show. They used it for their tender on their Lawley Weekender "Phoenix" for many, many years. I was always hoping that it would somehow come down to me, but it was long gone by the time I would have had the gumption to ask!

He thought he was very progressive to be buying a fiberglass boat for his beautiful wooden boat!
Steve D

Dinghy

Post by Steve D »

Here is another one. I just ordered one and I should have it by April. It is a rowing dinghy, not made for sailing, but then most people who have a sailing kit don't use them anyway. To big, bulky and takes up to much space to store inside a boat.

www.gooddogboats.com

Steve