Ty Restoration

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Restoration

Post by Oswego John »

Hi boat owners and DIYers,

Perhaps you could help me help another boatowner. I recently received a PM from a person who plans on doing hull and keel work on his new (to him) Ty. He is also interested in learning about restoration and color change. He asked me if I could recommend a book that could help him along and guide him in the steps and procedures involved to complete his intended projects.

The new boat owner mentioned that he never did this type of work before. In my mind, I think that the scope of all this work might be very huge to the uninitiated owner. I also think that, at first blush, he might possibly be intimidated or overwhelmed by the thought of what is involved to complete these projects.

Rather than myself naming a book or two to guide him, I thought it best to rely on the wisdom and experience of the board to suggest some books or specific periodicals that have helped them in the past when they were in his shoes. These books and possibly some illustrations would get him started in the right direction.

It goes without saying that the book(s) shouldn't be too technical but, rather, be written for the novice in simple, basic terms so as to be easily understood by the new boatowner and member of our board. He follows this board so any suggestions will be read by him

Thank you in advance for any help that you may provide for him and any others who may be searching for this type of info.

Think spring,

O J
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

"This Old Boat" It's practical and not overly technical.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ctId=42750
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Rollergirl

"Upgrading the cruising sailboat"

Post by Rollergirl »

by Dan Spurr.
Just discontinued in softcover, it's similar to the Casey book, but better written and more clearly illustrated. Spurr also writes about many other things germane to selection a boat like ours, and takes a holistic approach to what a owner should consider. If I have any criticism of the book, it is that some of the coating technology is out of date.
I found it invaluable when I repaired the decks and wood on my Ty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007145 ... 3?n=283155

Bill
bill2

Repairs and/or restoration

Post by bill2 »

I concur and have both sitting on the shelf front and center.

"This Old Boat" by D Casey and
"Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" by D Spurr

For hull/fiberglass repairs I also have "The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual" by A Vaitses but prefer the two above.

Good Luck
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Just to get him started

Post by Jim Davis »

The current "Good Old Boat" "Then Came Romance" Sandy had a good knowledge of painting, britework and use of epoxy. Her Typhoon was her first real restoration. It will give him an idea of what he can do if he puts his mind to it.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

West System has a good manual on fiberglass repair (with their products, of course) that I used when dealing with the blistering and rudder rebuild on my Ty.