Tender/Recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Chuck Bell

Tender/Recommendations

Post by Chuck Bell »

We have sold our Cape Dory 27 and, at least for the time being, have crossed over to a Trawler.
Our new boat is a Nordic Tugs 32. We don't have a dinghy. Just wondering if anyone can make some recommendation.
Not really interested in an inflatable, and not really sold on a Walker Bay.
We would really consider a Cape Dory 10, but I haven't seen any for sale lately. I have even thought of attempting to build Martha's Tender, one of Joel White's designs.
Comments are appreciated.
David van den Burgh

Fatty Knees

Post by David van den Burgh »

You might look into this nice little design in the 9' model. I had a Fatty Knees as a kid and absolutely loved it - wish we had it now. http://www.fattyknees.com/index.html
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Was looking last fall.

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I was looking for a had dink last fall to add to my collection of two Avons: a 11'2" RIB with a fixed mount 25hp 2-stroke Tohatsu ( had that before I bought the CD) and a 9' with a 5hp 4-stroke Merc. Don't ask why I need three, its a long story, but I was looking for a hard sailing dinghy. I was considering Bauers, Dyers, Trinkas, the CD 10 (heard that they are a little tender for a tender) the Eddy and Duff Fatty Knees and a couple of others made up in Maine that I don't recall right now. If you can pick up a copy of Maine Boats and Harbors there are always a few adds for hard dink builders. I wound up buying a Dyer Dhow when I found a 2001 model in mint condition with sails, oars and a trailer close to home for $2,500. Haven't had it in the water yet so I can't give a sailing review but it looks pretty. I'm planning on awlgripping it dark green to match Quest hull
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

CD10 is not a 'tender'

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Chuck,

I purchased a CD10 with the same 'Tender' thoughts - it did NOT work out. It is a great bay/cove sailboat with a capability of rowing - nice. Loved the boat, but way to tender and limited to two small to medium, agile sailors :wink:

Sold it about 2 years after purchased.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

I'm still using the 9' Dyer dhow that my grandfather purchased new in 1953. It might be the perfect tender - stable, rugged, light (relatively), and easy to launch/row/tow/sail/motor.

Joe - we need to have a Dyer regatta!
viejo

Post by viejo »

We've been using a CD10 as a tender for about four years now, it works fine in that regard, beside being a dinghy that turns heads.

Bill H.
Steve Laume

Tender?

Post by Steve Laume »

We have a CD-10 we are using as a tender. It rows, sails and tows very well. It is also very pretty and of the quality you might expect of the manufacturer. I read an old review of small boats published during the time the CD-10 was still being manufactured. It was mentioned in the comments that it was a high quality boat but it was a bit "tender" for a tender. I did not give that too much concern as life is a compromise. The fact that it is a bit narrow also makes it glide along when you row. I come from a background of canoes and kayaks and it seems very stable to me. If you are rowing with two heavy people one must sit in the bow station to row and the other needs to sit in the stern. This is probably no different for any boat in this size range. You certainly can't step on the gunnel to board but it sure is a sweet little boat to play around in. It does have all the drawbacks of any hard dinghy but it seems like you are already aware of those limitations. The other thing I have heard as a good rule of thumb for a boat you intend to row very much is never to go shorter than ten feet. The shape has a lot to do with it but you can't cheat the water line length. An 8 or 9 foot dink is getting a bit short for really nice rowing. If you really want a treat you try our CD-14 with 7 foot Shaw and Tenney sweeps. What a joy it is, Steve.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Mitch F

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

If you ever make it up to Boothbay Harbor this summer we can have that regatta. Of course since you have been sailing it for so much longer some type of handicap would be in order.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

The Fatty Knees that David offered is a great classic dingy...however.....I have the 8' model and made the mistake of towing it across Buzzards Bay behind my CD330 on a short sail. About halfway across the wake from a passing trawler (NOT a Nordic Tug - which is a wonderful boat) caused the Fatty Knees to swamp and roll. It is a wonderful boat for use with Davits and the kids love to sail it around the bay. It should not be considered towable or seaworthy in heavy seas.
Chuck Bell

Post by Chuck Bell »

Thanks, everyone, for your imput.
Has anyone attempted to build one of the dinghys from plans that are available from Wooden Boat? Just curious as to what level of skill is needed and how much time required to actually complete one of these projects.
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Nesting dinghy

Post by SeaBelle »

I've dreamed about but never built a nesting dinghy. If you are going to build look at one of these. I don't think they are much harder to build - just 2 additional bulkheads. You build it to partial completion and then saw it in half! A 11 footer nests and stores on deck in 5' 7".

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/yachtt3.htm
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Speaking of nesters you might consider Chuck Paine's "Two Bits".
It is a 10' nesting dingy that you can row, sail or power with a small outboard. I think he also has a 9' version. Designed to be built by the "Stitch and Tack" method. I built one back in the mid-80's. I was a sweet liitle dink. I still have the plans.

Harold Payson http://www.instantboats.com/ sells lots of dink plans mostly by Phil Bolger.
I built one for myself this past summer. Have yet to test it out.

Take care,
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

Good read on dinghies

Post by greg phillips »

Chuck, I would suggest that anyone considering purchasing a dinghy first look thru Stan Grayson's book, The Dinghy Book. I own the second edition but found the first edition better in some respects. Either one is informative and is a great source for reference when it is time to buy, upgrade or improve the dinghy that you end up with.
I bought a copy used for a dollar... the list is about $16.00 from the publisher, International Marine Publishing Co. in Camden. Shopping for a dinghy can be fun and this book is well worth a read.

Good Luck,
Greg Phillips
Brooklin, ME
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
ever one has good ideals, but david is right...
i had a fatty knees for a long time and its the best around....winthrop
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

I'm building an Eastport Pram from Chesapeake Light Craft. It's quite light (60 lbs), which was an important consideration as we need to move it around on shore quite a bit. It seems to be a good shape for towing (behind a Ty) and rowing but I won't know until July.