CD25 Wooden Cradle on Trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ronellis
Location: Starry Eyes - CD25 #448 (Dad's Boat) - Port Aransas, TX

CD25 Wooden Cradle on Trailer

Post by ronellis »

I've built a wooden cradle using the plans that Brian McGowan contributed to the website. I'm going to bolt the cradle to an 18' flatbed trailer and use it to move the boat about 30 miles from Rockport, TX to Port Aransas, TX.

First of all, have any of you CD25 owners built and used a cradle according to these plans? The plans are well written and drawn, and the cradle is sturdy. I'm looking for any tips on how to have the lift operator set it on the cradle.

Secondly, I'm looking for tips concerning where to place the cradle on the trailer. It seems to me that the cradle is designed such that the boat's bow-to-stern center of gravity (tipping point) is at the midpoint of the cradle. If that's true, I think the midpoint of the cradle should be slightly ahead of a line between the trailer's two axles to give the trailer a little tongue weight. Any thoughts on that?

Here are some photos:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ ... radle2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ ... radle3.jpg[/img]

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Statue of Liberty play
It only works once
Don't throw it away
gsd46

Cradle plans

Post by gsd46 »

I used his plans---actually the dimensions he was kind enough to send me to build a steel cradle for our CD 25. We picked it up in Cape Coral FL and trailered it back to Mobile, it was about 600 miles. We didn't have any problems whatsoever--floated the boat on, lowered the mast and away we went. I made adjustable arms for our cradle and was glad I did--it allowed me to "TIGHTEN UP" the whole boat before we went down the road! Good luck!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CD 25 On Wooden Cradle

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Ron,

That's a nice job you did on the cradle and trailer. Very nice.

You asked if there were any thoughts on the subject. I'll mention a few things that come to mind. I'm sure that you have given much thought to this project already, but there might be others who will benefit from this in the future.

It is recommended to have the tongue weight at least 10% and no more than 15% of the total Gross weight being pulled. The gross weight is the sum of the trailer, the cradle, the boat and any incidental gear in or on the boat.

The weight of the CD 25 is 4,000 lbs, or two tons. You can find out the weight of the trailer and cradle by towing it to a local weigh station or a local recovery and landfill site that should have scales.

Let's assume that the trailer weighs 1,000 lbs and the cradle weighs 400 lbs. Add to this, 4,000 lbs and you arrive at 5,400 gross weight (GW). Using this arbitrary figure, the least tongue weight at 10% GW would be 540 lbs. There is a web address that will show you how to measure tongue weight with a bathroom scale and leverage. http://wwwrverscorner.com/articles/tongueweight.html

Some other random thoughts are:

#1 It is a good idea to have a swingaway tongue jack.

#2 You may never have a better chance than now to seal the plywood edges and paint the cradle, especially under the bottom.

#3 Cushion the plywood where it supports the hull. Some people use carpet remnants or indoor/outdoor carpeting.

#4 Build a mast support up front near the hitch to help take the whip out of the mast overhang.

#5 Keep in mind that there will be hull overhang fore and aft of the trailer. Even more overhang of the mast.

#6 Carefully measure the placement of the lifting straps so that they will miss the plywood.

When I have dealt with cradles in the past, I have always had stout stringers attached under the edges of the cradle, running fore and aft. I would use a pair of farm jacks to lift one end of the cradle and boat up. Then I'd place a pipe across the bottom of the cradle under the stringers near the center of the weight. Using a comealong, I'd tug the boat and cradle one way or the other until the tipping point on the pipe was found. Then mark the cradle accordingly.

Knowing where the load center is, Place the tongue on the bathroom scale. Tug the cradle fore or aft until the desired tongue weight is arrived at.. Mark the location on the trailer bed. Jack up the cradle, remove the pipe roller, secure the stringers to the trailer bed and you're good to go for many years.

Good luck,

O J
Richard Bell

Towing

Post by Richard Bell »

Would it not have been easier to sail or tow the boat to Port A up the intercoastal though AP or the channel with the lighthouse?

Rick
Rick Bell
CD 33 Pegasus
ronellis

Post by ronellis »

OJ,

Thanks for your tips and thanks for the link. All very helpful stuff.

Rick,

Yes, it would be much easier - and much more enjoyable to sail down through the Lydia Ann Channel to Port Aransas, but the boat is going to spend at least a few months on the trailer in my backyard in Port Aransas. I have a "to do" list a mile long...

Ron
Statue of Liberty play
It only works once
Don't throw it away
marv brinn

cradle

Post by marv brinn »

I have looked at the great pics
I am concerned that the side beams that have one bolt could split if ther is a short stop
I would like to see the side walls closed in with plywood then glued and fastedned
or at least glue the side beams to the main frames
none
ronellis

Post by ronellis »

Marv,

By the side beams, do you mean the 2x4s that run horizontal and diagonal on the sides of the cradle? Is your concern that in a stop the cradle would 'fold' or collapse forward?

Ron
Statue of Liberty play
It only works once
Don't throw it away
Skip

Help please!

Post by Skip »

The cradle pictured looks like the cat's meeooow for my purposes but I cannot find the post with the dimensions or plans. Can someone who has it or can tell me how to find it post it here please?

Thanks,

Skip
mike feeney

The easy (perhaps sloppy) way

Post by mike feeney »

I once owned a CD25 which came with a two bunk cradle, not three as in your picture. The cradle was used for winter storage at Lake Sunapee NH and had a convenient mark showing where the center (Fore and aft) of the keel should be placed.

When the boat was finally moved 150 miles to the ocean we bolted the cradle to a single axel trailer which was in other respects very similar to your flatbed. We, using the eyeball method, placed the cradle so the "mark" was two or three inches forward of the single axel. The rig was then backed under the boat which was suspended from a two ton hoist. When we thought we had the center of the keel kinda/sorta near the mark we dropped her on and drove off to the nearest ocean with no troubles.

The trailer had a tongue jack which had no dificulty lifting and lowering the trailer on and off the trailer ball. I could not lift the tongue by myself but could with the help of a rugged companion. I suspect we were close to OJ's suggested tongue weight.

When I am retired I will do it OJ's way but our method took minutes and left time to sail when we arrived.

I am reminded of the old Maine guide who was being asked a multitude of questions as to how best to use snowshoes. After listening a while he said "just strap the suckers on and walk!"

Good luck with your tow. My guess is that you will have no difficulty whatsoever.
Mike Feeney

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows
ronellis

Post by ronellis »

Skip,

The cradle plans are on the CDSOA site.

The link is:

http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... radleplans

Stay tuned to find out how well the finished product works. The boat should be on the cradle/trailer Monday.

Ron
Statue of Liberty play
It only works once
Don't throw it away
Skip

Allright!

Post by Skip »

Thanks, Ron! This'll help lots!

Skip