25D and 26 dimension question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Within the next two years I am replacing the barn behind my house. One of my criteria is that my Typhoon, and any other future boat I end up with will fit completely inside so that I can have a heated, enclosed area for winter storage. Like many people who have growing families and enjoy spending time on the water, the need for more space will prevail and a larger boat will be in my future (albeit at this point distant future.) Having had the luxury of bringing my boat home each winter for the past two winters, the advantages of a trailerable boat are very clear to me and I don't think I will be able to lose that luxury. Knowing this, I have just narrowed my pool of future potential boats. At a glance the 25D and the 26 seem to fit my criteria. My question is how high off of the ground are each of these boats. If anyone has either of these on a trailer, that dimension will be most helpful. As always I appreciate the responses.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 25D and 26 dimension question

Post by Neil Gordon »

Good plan.

I've wondered why the height from keel to cabin top was not expressed in the spec anywhere.

While you're at it, get the dimensions for the 27, 28 and 30. You never know.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

A couple of years ago I had my boat out and was trying to put her in a garage with, IF I remember correctly, a 14' door. The only way I would have attempted backing her in there would have been with flat tires and I didnt want to do that.

As I recall I measured and on that trailer (not the trailer I have now) she was right at 13' - 14'. I may be off a bit but not much. Hopefully I am pulling in the next couple of weeks and if time permits (I am going on a road trip), AND I can remember I'll get you a measurement.

Some one may well get it for you quicker than that.
Bill Member #250.
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Neil Gordon wrote:
While you're at it, get the dimensions for the 27, 28 and 30. You never know.
Neil, that would be nice, but having to transport it from the North Shore to the Berkshires limits me to something with a beam of 8' or less. I can picture the trooper now out there with a tape measure on the side of 90. Besides if I want to use a 28 I'll shoot down to Boston and borrow yours. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Tim,

I don't have the answer, but I have a way to get it. (You've probably thought of this...) The lines drawings on the back of the CD brochures are reasonably accurate dimensionally. You can use proportions and derive many dimensions based on the ones given with the drawing. I've done this successfully many times.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Tim Mertinooke wrote:Besides if I want to use a 28 I'll shoot down to Boston and borrow yours.
FYI, the single malt is stored behind the port side settee, against the forward bulkhead.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Tim,

After a quick look at the CD25D drawing in the info section it looks like the boat is about 10 feet bottom of keel to top of the bow pulpit.

Adding the trailer height should make it about 12 feet or slightly less.

My CD28 with the stock bow pulpit was 12'6" above ground sitting on a 2' high trailer.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Tim,

I built a shed for my 25D. The joists are 12' 6" above the ground. My keel sits 20" above the ground. This gives me 35" of clearance above the companionway, and crouching headroom to go forward along the deck. You will need considerably more height if you don't unstep the mast.

Steve Kuhar
CD30B, (why I needed the shed) and CD25D "Aikane"
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Post by George Shaunfield »

Tim,

I can get the diminsions for a CD26 tomorrow. Just need to take a tape measure down the hill to Wings of the Morning and measure from water level to the top of the bow pulpit. Then we simply add the draft. I don't have a trailer so I guess you will have to estimate that measurement.

George
rtbates

PM me

Post by rtbates »

PM me and I'll e-mail you photos of our 25D, Seraph, sitting on her trailer with an 8' ladder visible beside the cockpit. A rough idea of total hright can be gotten from this photo. I'm guessing about 11 feet.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Post by George Shaunfield »

Tim,

On my CD26 it measures 5'5" from the water to the top of the bow pulpit. To that add the draft of 3'7" and we get 9' from the bottom of keel to the top of bow pulpit. As mentioned by others the trailer height should be about 24" or a little less.

Hope this helps.
George
Carl Thunberg

Don't forget the approach angle

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Tim,

Remember, you also need to consider the angle of approach when backing in. If everything is exactly level, then the heights you've been given will work for you. If your land is anything like mine, you have slopes to deal with. The worst situation is the floor being higher than the approach ramp. You will need an additional foot or more of doorway clearance if you're approaching from an angle. The best thing to do is make a scaled drawing of the boat on the trailer with the hinge point at the approach angle. I've always subscribed to the belief that if you can draw it, you can build it! Good luck!

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Tim Mertinooke

magnus ianua is est

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

As usual my curiosities are no match for the wisdom of this board. Thank you gentlemen. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hey Tim...

go with the 25 or the 25d it sits lower on the trailer and essayer to work on, beside there is more of the 25's around then the other two, there for it will be cheaper in cost in the long run...

thats the best answer any one can come up with...

besides both of the 25's sail the same, the 26 is a little more in wt and harder to ramp launch and trailer to your home.

think about how you are going to get it home.

i have an employee that has a thirty footer and he has to pay some one to take it out of the water and take it too his house and park it in his back yard, twice a year...

he has to go 125 miles one way so by the time he gets the bill its $1275 one way X 2 ever year... fun...

thats why he is selling the boat and getting a 22 footer at least he has a truck to pull it.

think about it.
winthrop