Beautiful Typhoon Daysailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Andy Denmark

Beautiful Typhoon Daysailer

Post by Andy Denmark »

Sandy Davis, wife of Jim Davis who posts regularly to this board, has restored a Typhoon Daysailer and it's gorgeous. The boat is featured in the latest issue of Good Old Boat just hitting the newstands.

Some may think that using the adjective "beautiful" and Typhoon Daysailer in the same phrase is oxymoronic. Until I saw Sandy's little boat first hand I would have been counted in that group. After all, the porcelain white Daysailer from Cape Dory looks more like a bathtub with a mast than a sailboat. Ask almost anyone who's seen one and that's the inevitable reaction.

Sandy has proven me -- and many others -- terribly wrong. With an artist's touch and and real eye toward what makes classic boats have such appeal, she has tastefully used color and trim to turn this Daysailer into a very attractive little craft and I think Mr. Alberg would be proud! (Which begs the question of why didn't Cape Dory apply some similar ideas?)

The paint job on the topsides is top notch. My first reaction was that it was an expensive sprayed Awlgrip job, only to find Sandy had rolled and tipped it. And Sandy's choice of colors overall prevents the "bathtub" appearance.

Check out the article to get a picture of a true labor of love come to fruition. If you're thinking about a restoration then there are some great guidelines and sequences contained therein.

Way to go, Sandy!!![/b]
________
Rolls-Royce 10 Hp
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
Scott F

The Article was Wonderful, What a Gorgous Daysailor

Post by Scott F »

Good old boat arrived yesturday and imagine my surprise to see that great article on the restoration of the Typhoon daysailor. What a gorgous boat and what a great restoration job.

Is it me or are the Cape Dorys the prettiest gals on the lake?
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

It's not you...

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Of course Ty's are the best looking sailboat on the lake! I know because I can't even begin to tell you how many power and sail boats have come by and told me so!
More than my 2¢ this time!!
Serge
Scott F

Its Not Me

Post by Scott F »

Last year I kept seeing this gorgous sailboat throughout the summer. Finally I sailed over and asked the skipper about the boat, a Cape Dory Typhoon. THe skipper was probably irritated with me because I think she was racing. So in the heat of the racing battle, some jack-a$$ (me) sails up, probably covers her, and asks about the boat :)