Thru hull transducer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtbates

Dick

Post by rtbates »

You wrote
It is hard for me to understand how a transducer / depth sounder can be relied on in a boat that heels.
A prudent skipper would assign:
Piloting 99%
Depth gauge 1 %
IMHO.
Now a fish finder, that is another story.
Dick
Depends on where you sail. In NE with rocks come up fast from deep water, no way will a depth sounder keep you off the rock. Off the Gulf Coast where the bottom depths change in a very predictable and charted fashion, absolutely. One can follow the depth contours and know where they are in relation to the shore with a great deal of certainty.

As far as heeling, as long as I keep the sounder in the water all works great. Occasionally I'll see it stop reading from what appears to be very turbulent water and it's associated bubbles.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
tartansailor

Thanks Gents

Post by tartansailor »

Learn something every day. My original experience some time ago was quite different from above; every time I tacked the readings changed uncomfortably. Must have had a narrow cone. Will revisit depth sounders again with the boat we are upgrading now.
Thanks again all.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Thanks Gents

Post by Neil Gordon »

tartansailor wrote:... every time I tacked the readings changed uncomfortably. Must have had a narrow cone.
Depending on where the transducer is placed, it can be blocked by the keel on one tack but not the other, especially when you're way over. Since I reef early, I don't have that problem. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Thanks Gents

Post by Carter Brey »

Neil Gordon wrote: Since I reef early, I don't have that problem. :)
*Sigh* My hero.

CB
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Such a virtue

Post by Oswego John »

Who was it, Falstaff, who so aptly put it in a figurative translation? "Discretion is the better part of valor" :D

BTW, I'm typing this by generator power. A predicted line squall passed through today with winds up to 70 MPH or so, with higher gusts. A good portion of upstate NYS is without power. You should have seen the massive waves breaking high over the harbor breakwater.

After the high winds are gone, lake effect snow will come. It was 47° F this morning. By tomorrow evening it is predicted to be zero F or lower, not counting wind chill. Weathermen get their jollies with this kind of activity.

Elbows Wychulis, what's going on? Where are you when we need you?

O J