Roller Furler Advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

CapnDave
#953 -- SOBX, NC,
Onslow Bay, Bogue Sound, Core Sound, Nuese River

Roller Furler Advice

Post by CapnDave »

In reviewing archives on the subject, it seems most folks are using the CDI furler on their Typhoons. I am in the market for a furling system for my recently purchased TY and was considering the Harken 436.

Would someone be so kind as to explain the pros/cons of the different furling systems?

BTW - This forum has been most valuable in determing to purchase this boat. I look forward to getting my little TY in top condition and splashing her this spring.

Thanks!
Life looks up -- When you look up...
Tom Tucker

CDI/ Harken Furler

Post by Tom Tucker »

Good Afternoon CaptnDave

I have a Harken 435 furler. I am not positive of that number. However, the important thing to be aware of is, with some of the Harken furlers(like mine) you can not use the furler to reef the sail nor can you change the sail without taking the mast down. I bought the furler because it was what I could afford at the time. The unit works fine as designed and you can reliably deploy and furl the sail very easily from the cockpit with no need to go out on the foredeck.

A CDI or similiar furler that can also be used to reef with is high on my wish list of future upgrades.

I have had my Typhoon for three years now and thorougly enjoy sailing it year round in the St. Augustine, FL. area. It is a great boat and I am confident you will enjoy your's.

Tom
Tom
David Hest

CDI, Harken design differences

Post by David Hest »

I also am a newbie when it comes to furlers, and as a Typhoon owner, as well. In addition to learning from general advice/likes and dislikes that may be forthcoming, I would like to learn about a technical difference I have noticed between CDI and the other major reefing/furling systems (Harken, Schaefer, Profurl, etc.). From what I can tell, all the systems except CDI have an upper swivel on which the furler foil rotates. How does this upper swivel affect performance of the reefer/furler and ultimately, the sail?

David
Dick Villamil

Typhoon roller furler

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have installed a CDI #1 with bearings on my 1976 Ty - It is extremely easy to use - makes it easy to singlehand to and from a mooring or evenb to a dock - do not even use an outboard. I just roll up the jib and sail in with the main. I have used other roller furlers on my other boats and like the simplicity of the CDI - have not had a twisted halyard as with the other firlers. One problem is removing the sail if you want to change headsails on the furler - you need to unstep the mast to do this. Fortunately with the Ty it is a 2-person task while at the dock although many can do it singlehanded. No need to go on the foredeck to catch a loose flogging jib on a windy day while trying to catch the pickup bouy!
John Martin

CDI Furler for Ty

Post by John Martin »

Hi Dick,

Question, your CDI furler should have an internal halyard in the foil to alow you to change head sails without dropping the mast? I talked to the folks at Cruising Direct, they assured me this is how it works. My sail maker recommended CDI for my Typhoon. Is your furler different?

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
CapnDave
#953 -- SOBX, NC,
Onslow Bay, Bogue Sound, Core Sound, Nuese River

Re: CDI Furler for Ty

Post by CapnDave »

John Martin wrote:Hi Dick,

Question, your CDI furler should have an internal halyard in the foil to alow you to change head sails without dropping the mast?JM
That is what the owner's manual indicates for the FF2 at least. I think that is the one I will go with.
Life looks up -- When you look up...
Dick Villamil

Ty Furler

Post by Dick Villamil »

John - you are probably right - I just haven't rtied it but at the end of the season I jusat removed the sail without noting if it would go back up. After your comments I am sure it will be OK. Nevertheless, the CDI is so easy to use and I never had a twist up top like I had with other furlers.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

CDI Furlers

Post by Neil Gordon »

If there's any remaining question about CDI furlers...

The extrusion fits over the stay and the entire furler is self-contained, including its own internal halyard system. Because the halyard is contained within the furler, the whole unit turns... extrusion, drum, halyard, etc. Except that it fits over the stay, nothing in the CDI furler is actually attached to the boat and so there's nothing to hang up. The sail goes up/down one slot and the halyard goes up/down the other.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698