Boarding Ladder CD25D West Marine Folding

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jddj

Boarding Ladder CD25D West Marine Folding

Post by jddj »

I plan to install a West Marine folding swim ladder on the port side of my 25D. This is unit that attaches to the deck with mounting plates. Some have used the 4 step model. Any experince with the 5 step model? It will hang further in the water but is it as stable as the 4 step? Will the standoffs take the weight of a 230 lb. crew?
Any suggestions or experience are appreciated.

jim

CD25D, hull #99, CYLAN II, Guilford, CT.
bobdugan

Re: Boarding Ladder CD25D West Marine Folding

Post by bobdugan »

jddj wrote:I plan to install a West Marine folding swim ladder on the port side of my 25D.
Jim,

The previous owner removed the stern ladder from Cricket. I like the way the boat looks without the stern ladder... but our flimsy plastic stow-a-way ladder is too awkward.

Can you keep this thread alive by letting us know how things go with your ladder selection, installation, etc.

I'd love to see a picture when you are done!

Thanks!

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Steve Laume

Ladders

Post by Steve Laume »

I found an old teak boarding ladder that I would like to refinish and set up to mount on the starboard side. Has anyone used one of these on their Cape Dory? We had one of those aluminium jobs with the plastic steps last year. It was made to work by cutting the candy cane shaped pieces so that the whole ladder set lower on the deck then lashing it in place between the stanchions. We kept the thing stowed on deck when not in use. It looked bad, worked okay and was relatively quick to rig. I am hoping to improve on those characteristics with the wood ladder. I don't see them offered anymore but the hardware is still available. There is no easy way out (or in for that matter) Steve.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello to all

I have this ladder aboard Rhapsody. ( am not sure if it is a 4 or 5 step model (I think 4). At 225 lbs I have had no problem getting aboard.

I also got an extra set of deck mounts and have mounted them on the starb'd side as well. I like the ladder.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
bobdugan

Ladder details.

Post by bobdugan »

Bill,

Do you have a picture of what you did?

Did you use a backing plate for the deck mounts?

Where did you place the deck mounts exactly? I'm wondering
if the ladder should line up with the lifeline gate... or if it should
be back towards the stern pulpit stanchions.

Bob
barfwinkle wrote:Hello to all

I have this ladder aboard Rhapsody. ( am not sure if it is a 4 or 5 step model (I think 4). At 225 lbs I have had no problem getting aboard.

I also got an extra set of deck mounts and have mounted them on the starb'd side as well. I like the ladder.

Fair winds
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Bob

First, yes I used plywood backing plates for the deck mounts.

2nd, I mounted the "attachments" with the aft most one in the general vicinity of the winch (or wench which ever is correct! I dont want to think right now!). More importantly, I mounted them where I felt the standoffs on the ladder best fit the curvature of the hull. This is somewhere between the wi(e)nch and the first stanchion forward of the wi(e)nch. I have another set of deck mounts for the starb'd side, but I just havent had a need as yet to drill those additional holes in the deck.

Take care and than you SO MUCH for your efforts on behalf of this wonderful board.

Fair Winds (and thawing ice)
Bill Member #250.
rtbates

slickest boarding ladder on earth!

Post by rtbates »

As well as the most expensive. I thought about it and eventually went with the WM 5 step. It seems plenty stable. I have no idea as to it's ability to handle 230lbs. The specs sheet should answer that question. I took a set of the mounting blocks and screwed them onto a piece of oak about 4" wide. I can now use the ladder anywhere on our 25D's sides(the toe rail keeps it in place) and I made no holes through the deck. I always place it beside a stanchion and use a piece of line attached to the ladder and secured to the stanchion.

http://www.mysticstainless.com/page2.html
Randy 25D Seraph #161
barfwinkle

WOW

Post by barfwinkle »

What a GREAT idea Randy. I can attest to the weight bearing ability as I WAS at about 225 last summer and it worked fine for me.

I love your idea of mounting the ladder. I have an additional set of mounting plates and will give your method a try using them. Thanks for the information.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
bobdugan

Re: WOW

Post by bobdugan »

barfwinkle wrote:What a GREAT idea Randy.
I agree! Thanks Randy. This board is GREAT!

Bob
jddj

Ladder

Post by jddj »

Thanks to all of you in helping me decide to get the 5-step ladder for my 25D. The idea of mounting it on a board for use on either side is terrific. We learn so much from each other on this board!
jim
rtbates

mounting hint

Post by rtbates »

You're more than welcome guys.

Place the mounting blocks as close to the outer edge of the board as possible. This eliminates its desire to rotate the board inner edge up.
Randy 25D Seraph #161