Typhoon Cockpit Cushions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robert brown
Beverly, Ma.

Typhoon Cockpit Cushions

Post by robert brown »

Any advice on where to look and what they should cost to have made? i stitched them all last summer, but the seams and stitching are shot. Local would be good or mail order as well. Bevery Farms, Ma. here...

She is a pretty little boat.
John Martin

cockpit cushions

Post by John Martin »

Here in the South, during the Summer doldrums, we spend a lot of time swimming and on the beach. Our cockpit cushions double as water floats/beach seats. We found C-Cushions at the Annapolis Sailboat Show many years ago. They made full length cockpit cushions for our CD28 INTREPID. For our current boat (CD31 CARINA) we had them make 4 individual, smaller, cushions to fit our cockpit. I like this arrangement better because they can be used as a seat and backrest, easy to store, 4 people can float. Our cushions are made of a sealed, closed cell foam, with boat name on each cushion. We leave them propped-up in the corner of the cockpit.

John
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon Cockpit Cushions

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Robert...
i got mine from bottomsiders two year ago, you can get them in any color and you can have your name put in them as well.
custom fit to the boat...
they make allot of things for the cockpit, thats where my back rest came from too...
besides you can go swimming with them, they float. it holds me up just fine....
but they are a little high in price, three idems and name put on were around 275 plus UPS around 300 total...
but if you keep the boat along time its well worth it, it was to me.
i have had that ty sense 85....
winthrop

robert brown wrote:Any advice on where to look and what they should cost to have made? i stitched them all last summer, but the seams and stitching are shot. Local would be good or mail order as well. Bevery Farms, Ma. here...

She is a pretty little boat.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Typhoon Cockpit Cushions - Cheap

Post by Mike Raehl »

Robert,
I got mine on the cheap from Target. In the swimming department, I bought on sale for $15 a swimming pool mattress made from one inch thick closed cell foam in royal blue. I cut it down the center lengthwise with an electric bread knife. With a little additional trimming, the two halves fit my Ty cockpit seats just fine.

I sold the Typhoon :cry: and now must survive with just my CD27. :D
Mike Raehl
Lang

Bean bag cushion

Post by Lang »

Hi,

I had someone made for me 4 pieces of 3'x14"x12" bean bag out of a synthetic quick dry material with a overlapping opening and velcro for sealing the slit. Then I bought 5kg of styroform beans and filled 'em up. It has worked very well indeed.

I use 2 pieces on each side to make them full cockpit length. All my crews like them alot. Have also loaned them (upon request), and had very good reviews.

I made it in a life jacket yellow (sort of like the same material), and the beans makes it floats, we use it also for MOB. Havent had to use it for that, but I think it will help.

Cost of each one is US$30 not including the beans.

Lang.
P.S. Currently, crewing on board cruising vessel Calliste.
With admirals' priveleges and personal cockpit cushion :)
Mollie and Josh

Typhoon Cushions

Post by Mollie and Josh »

You can get a quote at newJSI.com Just put in your measurements, fabric and type of foam.
If you want to it yourself, you can get a precut kit (just needs sewing) from sailrite.com.
I have a budding part time business doing cushions and marine canvas. I will be glad to discuss cushions as well. As I am just getting started, I will beat all quotes.
You can contact me and joshuashenker at yahoo dot com.
Josh
Sal Randazzo

CD 22 Cockpit seat cushions

Post by Sal Randazzo »

I am interested in getting seat cushions for my Cape Dory 22. Can you tell me about the materials you use, how the cushions are made and how much it would cost for two cushions for the bench seats in the cockpit of a CD 22.
tnx
Sal Randazzo
Mollie and Josh

Cushions

Post by Mollie and Josh »

Sal,
I just need the measurements of your cushions to run a quote. Additionally, let me know if you would like to use your existing foam or new foam. I will run a few quotes for you using different materials. I have full access to all the normal materials and fabrics, including Sunbrella and Phifertex.
Just email me at buffleheadcanvasworks@yahoo.com
Thanks
Josh

If anyone else is interested, please send me a note and I will be glad to get back to you.