What was Cape Dory Thinking?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Barthel

Gorgeous!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Carter,

A classic look about her and it doesn't appear that she needs very much work if any at all. Coming from a CD 25, you're sure going to feel like you have a lot of room to move around. Have a great summer with her...just around the corner.

I hope to meet you at Oyster Bay this year. It won't take you very long to get there!

Dick
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Wanna race?

Post by Carter Brey »

I just cannot wait to race Yankee Lady against her....unfortunately, my heart says it would be a good, close race, but my brain tells me that I would get smoked!!
Clay,

I'm gonna lie in wait for you, hove-to, at the Twenty-six Foot Spot Lighted Bell Buoy 32A (40 58.13 N 073 32.82 W) off Oyster Bay on July 4th. Approximate time TBD. When Yankee Lady appears, she gets a five boat length head start into the harbor approach before I ease sheets and bring in the main.

First man to reach Red 4 (Oyster Bay Buoy 4) at Center Island wins and is obligated to host the other for Dark and Stormies once anchored in the Cove, in the ghetto reserved for Brand X'ers.

You have been warned.
Steve Laume

Be hoping for a NW wind

Post by Steve Laume »

Clay, I think your best chance would be with a NW wind and some sort of big ole cruising chute flying as you go by. I don't think Carter could heave to with that sort of rig hoisted so you would get a good run at him. May the best boat win, Steve.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Wanna race?

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Carter Brey wrote:
I just cannot wait to race Yankee Lady against her....unfortunately, my heart says it would be a good, close race, but my brain tells me that I would get smoked!!
Clay,

I'm gonna lie in wait for you, hove-to, at the Twenty-six Foot Spot Lighted Bell Buoy 32A (40 58.13 N 073 32.82 W) off Oyster Bay on July 4th. Approximate time TBD. When Yankee Lady appears, she gets a five boat length head start into the harbor approach before I ease sheets and bring in the main.

First man to reach Red 4 (Oyster Bay Buoy 4) at Center Island wins and is obligated to host the other for Dark and Stormies once anchored in the Cove, in the ghetto reserved for Brand X'ers.

You have been warned.

Both you chaps better bring your A Game to that race. Lemme see now. July 4th at Oyster Bay. There should only be about a thousand boats there lining the race course to witness this. The Coast Guard and the Bay Constables will be there for crowd control and to keep the race course into Oyster Bay clear. The winner will be mightily hailed by a fireworks display second to none.

Yessiree! Interest in this race will bring boaters far and wide from all over the Northeast. And all this time I figured the crowd was there because of the 4th of July! How very tedious of me! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Clay Stalker

Puttin' On a Show

Post by Clay Stalker »

Steve:

Thanks for the tip....but I honestly think my best chance lies with Carter leaving the head intake seacock open and the resulting flood and near sinking slowing him down, and/or his furler jamming so badly that he has to go forward for an hour to free it up, and/or the stern anchor on Yankee Lady coming loose and dragging behind on 100' of chain, or.....someone starting to sling Dark and Stormy's early and the wayward skipper of Yankee Lady forgets to appear at the line!! Oh, the obstacles! The sheer pain of it all!

Actually, I am not certain I can come to Oyster Bay for the 4th Rendezvous....Dick Barthel has been gracious enough to invite me to sail with him on Dream Weaver for this event, and also, the 4th of July is big in Bristol also, so I might stay there....but....if I can find some crew for a trip to Oyster Bay, I would really enjoy sailing Yankee Lady down there and seeing everyone....

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
yves feder w1ux
S/V "ALPHEE" (44) Sabre34 Mark II #282 (1986) Stonyngtonne, CT

AaaaaarrRRRRR!!!!

Post by yves feder w1ux »

I dunno if we can make it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there for the Fourth, but it may be something to behold! I hope there will be live streaming video available on the Sports Channel....... in any event I would have to refit the 24 pounders on the main deck, as the Royal Armoury has a new cast iron design which will handle langrage and chain shot more effectively than our Colonial cast brass barrels.

If we are out of Ordinary in proper course, it may happen, our gunners need the practice :D :D

Yrs as Always, &c &c &c
Y.
"Heisenberg May Have Slept Here"