Problems , Sailing in south Florida

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Mike C

Problems , Sailing in south Florida

Post by Mike C »

Is there anyone in the group that has done the Ft. Meyers, FL. thru Lake Okeechobee to Stuart, Fl. Your opinion on going that route with a Cape Dory 28, Draft 4, mast height is 41 feet. Is there anything I should watch for when the diesel uses fresh water from saltwater bay. Like temperature, special filters or something?
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Crossing Florida

Post by Jim Davis »

Other than it is an interesting trip and fun. Your draft should be no problem, nor will your "air draft". A couple suggestions Spend one night at La Belle and take the rim route anchoring in the kidney shaped lake near the swing bridge. The engine won't know the difference being in fresh water for this trip. Also last time I did it I saw a couple big alligators, so wouldn't recommend swimming. In Stuart we had to anchor across from the mooring field as it was closed and no one was allowed to use the area.

Isa Lei has a draft of 5 1/2 feet and "air draft" of 48 feet.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CaptRaul
Port Salerno, Florida

Crossing Florida on the ICW

Post by CaptRaul »

Nice trip..you can anchor off Indiantown Marina when going toward Stuart. Anchor in Manatee Pocket off Hinkley's yard. You can tie your dinghy up at the small park on the west side. Look me up...small pink house right by park..I have a 28CD "Sarah". phone no..772-283-9262
CaptRaul
Port Salerno, Florida

errata on phone no.

Post by CaptRaul »

make my phone no: 772-283-9264
Bill Watson

Stuart to Ft Myers

Post by Bill Watson »

I finished the trip from Stuart to Ft Myers then Ft Myers Beach on Kittiwake, a Cape Dory 28, without any problems either draft or height-wise. Single-handed the biggest issues were the locks, but they were okay once you figured out what was needed. They all had lines hanging, so it was pretty much fenders. Alot of 55 ft bridges, and the 49 ft railroad bridge just east of the lock at Port Mayaca.
I stayed at Stuart a few days at the municipal mooring field, waiting for a couple of days with light winds while crossing lake Okeechobee. The mooring field is pretty good, except it gets pretty rough with NW winds. Watch the railroad bridge just NE of the Stuart mooring field, it closes 10 to 15 times a day, so listen carefully for the horn warning of a closing. Anchored the first night just before the Port Mayaca lock, after the railroad bridge. The next day, motorsailed across Lake Okeechobee to Clewiston, then along the rim route to Moore Haven, through the lock, and tied up at a pier there ($1/ft with power/water). The next day to LaBelle, tied up at the free dock at the city park, then to the mooring field at Ft Myers. The last day was out the Caloosahatchie, through the channel at Shell Point into San Carlos Bay, and into Matanzas pass and the Ft Myers Beach mooring field. The trip was pleasant, although alot of the way there are levies along at least one side of the canal. Not much problem in the way of currents, no problems with depth.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Boyd

Time of year?

Post by Boyd »

I made the trip several years ago when the water was quite low. We bumped the bottom in the rim canal several times. If going during the warmer weather bring lots of bug repellent and have screens for everything. Worst bugs I ever saw on that trip. Also carry extra diesel. At times there is NO wind on the lake. Other than bugs it was a nice trip.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD 30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Skip

It's a nice trip, enjoy!

Post by Skip »

I've crossed it several times on tugs and recommend it as a good way to see that Florida is not totally covered in concrete (yet).

Ditto to the preceeding posts, good info. I'll further add a precautionary note about the total insanity of some power-boat drivers ("drivers" being a perjorative) who choose to blast their way across, often in convoy. They seem to have forgotten about common courtesy and dangerous practice.

Also, be mindful of tug and barge traffic in "the ditch." They don't have many options at times.

I've witnessed channel markers knocked down and mostly submerged; a true hazard as one Hatteras owner who poleaxed one will attest. It ripped a ten foot long gash in his bottom and he had to run up into the sawgrass to avoid sinking. I believe that a barge had rubbed against it (the marker) the preceeding night, pulling it down. The wheelman probably didn't even realize it.

Take plenty of fuel. You'll probably need it, and take warning: Lake Okeechobee can be extremely treacherous in a blow. It's typically around 12' deep, and when it's blowing has the motion of a toilet being flushed with a cross-chop. The seas are close and steep and jumbled up at times, so pick your weather for crossing. People die on that lake nearly every winter.

Despite these cautions I encourage you to make the trip. It's a very pleasurable eye-opener and LaBelle is gorgeous; a real old-timey sleepy town.

Skip
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Hey Skip, plagiarizing my quote?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

That's OK. Great minds think alike. Just substitute "Joe" for unknown.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Bill Watson

missing markers

Post by Bill Watson »

I agree with all above - especially the missing markers - there were more this winter, especially in the lake. Diesel was pretty much not around - Port LaBelle Marina routinely takes Mondays and Fridays off to do construction work, and I stopped on a Tuesday that was really a Monday, but had more than enough to get to Ft Myers Municipal Docks. Fortunately, bugs were not an issue this time of year, but the big opening of the bass fishing tour was, they were all over the rim route, Clewiston and Moore Haven getting ready for the tournament. If you like birds, they were amazing, more variety than I had ever seen in one place.
There is not much in the way of supplies except Clewiston after you go through their lock, and LaBelle, where there is a real good grocery store not far from the library, where there is room for 6 boats Med moored (I didn't try it, only 1 space, no one around, and windy).
Skip

Hey Joe

Post by Skip »

Sorry, I sure didn't mean to plagairize you or anyone else. That's why I put ~unknown~ at the end; to clarify that I wasn't taking credit for the thought. I saw that quote on Forbes.com and related to it immediately, having , ahem, arrruh, snort, snarfle...experienced it a time or two, so-to-speak...again.

I think I'll find another quote since you used it first. Sorry.

Skip
Skip

Quote-free zone

Post by Skip »

'Til I find another. :)

Skip
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Skip

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I'm due for a change anyway. They all get old after a while. I think this is my new one: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Skip

So true

Post by Skip »

Yep, that's a good'n for sure.

S
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Will my CD-33 make it across? I draw 5 ft., mast height is 46-1/2 ft. Anxious to make the trip. Any info welcomed. Thanks.
Zeida
Bob B

Lake Okechobe

Post by Bob B »

I did it many time on the Intracoastal tugs. It was a fun trip. Going through the locks wasn't any problem. You just need to be ready on deck to let slack into the lines or take up slack. The lock tenders are very good about telling you where to tie up. Depth is no problem but there are some shallows going into the Clewiston side. I think it has its own beauty though can throw a little chop in a breeze.

Have a great trip.

Bob B.