Any Blue Water Cape Dory 28s Out There???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

saltysailordude

Any Blue Water Cape Dory 28s Out There???

Post by saltysailordude »

I'm interested in knowing if there are any CD28s out there that have done any serious offshore work. I ask because I'm considering the purchase of a CD28. I've heard nothing but great reviews on the entire Cape Dory line and how seaworthy and sea kindly they are.
Russell

Re: Any Blue Water Cape Dory 28s Out There???

Post by Russell »

saltysailordude wrote:I'm interested in knowing if there are any CD28s out there that have done any serious offshore work. I ask because I'm considering the purchase of a CD28. I've heard nothing but great reviews on the entire Cape Dory line and how seaworthy and sea kindly they are.
Check out:

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare/

CD28 thats done a lot of offshore cruising.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

saltysailordude

Will be headed that way real soon.

More info here:

http://www.sbastro.com/FeNIX/mainFrameSet.htm

Happy sails to you
Fred B
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
CaptRaul
Port Salerno, Florida

Cape Dory 28 offshore work

Post by CaptRaul »

Mary and I have sailed our CD 28, SARAH, for twelve years in Atlantic waters. From Stuart Fl to Charleston, Cape May to Block Island, Cuba and soforth. The boat is very seaworthy, safe and seakindly within the limits of 28 feet. Armond Parretta is the penultimate authority of ocean travel in a 28. We have logged about 11,000 off shore miles and cruise each year from 4 to 6 months. I'd be glad to answer any particular questions about our experiences, but Armond is the "go-to guy" in my opinion.
NOMN

Re: Cape Dory 28 offshore work

Post by NOMN »

CaptRaul wrote:Mary and I have sailed our CD 28, SARAH, for twelve years in Atlantic waters. From Stuart Fl to Charleston, Cape May to Block Island, Cuba and soforth. The boat is very seaworthy, safe and seakindly within the limits of 28 feet. Armond Parretta is the penultimate authority of ocean travel in a 28. We have logged about 11,000 off shore miles and cruise each year from 4 to 6 months. I'd be glad to answer any particular questions about our experiences, but Armond is the "go-to guy" in my opinion.
Any upgrades?!!!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Keep in mind as well the 25Ds that have crossed oceans. (Not because you should buy a 25D instead, but because the 28 is surely no less capable.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Russell

Post by Russell »

Neil Gordon wrote:Keep in mind as well the 25Ds that have crossed oceans. (Not because you should buy a 25D instead, but because the 28 is surely no less capable.)
Pretty much any CD from the 25D and up I would consider an ocean crossing boat, if properly maintained.

I noticed NOMN that you posted specificly looking for a 26D. May I ask why? They are terrific boats for sure, but they are rarish. What are your plans with the boat?

If long distance ocean sailing is your plan, you might be better off with a 25D anyway (and an easier time finding one). Its the same hull, so sailing characteristics should be very close. The 25D lacks a v-berth, but trust me, you wont be using a v berth to sleep in out in the ocean anyway, it will become a catch all storage area, which makes a better case for a 25D over a 26. The main advantage a 26D has is if you have a family and need sleeping room for more then you and your wife, but a couple kiddos as well. If single handing, the 26D makes almost no sense in comparison.

All that said, for similar prices, you can find 27s and 28s, if ocean sailing is your goal, the 28 is terrific and can be had for a similar price as a 25D and likely less then a 26D. But it will likely be older, but at this point, all CDs are old enough to need the major systems replaced before serious ocean sailing anyway.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)