Reasons why old CD owners have beards...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Rationale

Post by Parfait's Provider »

n. Children look in awe and embarass their mothers by saying, "Mommy, is that Santa Claus?"

n+1. I often wonder why it garners so many smiles, but I know both my wives, past and present, not simultaneous, like it.

n+2. Instant disguise. No one has seen me without a beard and mustache for approximately 30 years. Shave in 5 minutes and I am a different person. I did this in reverse once, it took much longer, but it was a lot of fun and I wasn't really trying to hide or run, just amused at the confusion. In the end, my voice gave it away.

BTW Carter, thanks for your presence in our living room on New Years eve. We enjoyed the performance and were delighted to be home by the fire and not in Times Square.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Remember that scene in "Airplane"...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Remember that scene in "Airplane"? Or was it "Airplane II"? Where the guy went into the head to shave and came out looking a "slasher" victim?

Anyway, nobody shaves while on a passage -- while at anchor maybe, but not on a passage.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Rationale

Post by Carter Brey »

Ken,

Actually my present wife dislikes beards. Perhaps it's because she's from Italy, where every third-rate journalist wears a 3-day growth to make himself look revolutionary.

As far as Times Square goes, I've never been able to understand why folks subject themselves to that-- even on a normal business day, let alone when all the weirdos and drunks are loose down there. As soon as the broadcast is over, I always rush home to cower in bourgeois safety with the rest of the Upper West Side.

Happy New Year,
Carter
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

Why the beard?

Post by greg phillips »

To get the girl who said," I like the boat", who later said "I'd like a bigger boat", who said" the blue one will do", who later still said "I do" in a wedding ceremony in Maine last summer. The beard isn't the greatest but it sure has helped.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/g ... a70c18.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/g ... 8475ea.jpg

Greg Phillips
tartansailor

I Want To Grow A Beard

Post by tartansailor »

Tried twice, and both times was put out to pasture. :oops:
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I Want To Grow A Beard

Post by Neil Gordon »

tartansailor wrote:Tried twice, and both times was put out to pasture. :oops:
Reminds me of one the guys I was in the Navy with. One of the regs that Admiral Zumwalt changed was allowing beards. The rules were simply stated... a well trimmed beard, either full, or partial in the form of a van Gogh or van Dyke. Anyway, Danny had this thing sort of growing on his chin for quite a while. The Chief told him to shave it off and Danny got into this debate with the Chief, pointing to the "Z-gram" (Zumwalt's reg change) and to the dictionary definition of van Goghs and van Dykes. Having heard enough about how the Navy allowed beards, the Chief finally passed judgement... "That," he said, pointing to half a dozen little scragglies on Danny's chin, "is not a beard!"
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Greg, where is that?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Greg, Is that picture Bucks Harbor? It looks familiar. Beautiful boat.

Joe Mair
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

where is it?

Post by greg phillips »

Hey Joe,

This is the floating dock for Brooklin Boat Yard with Chatto Island in the background. We moor SARAH in Center Harbor and this was unloading day for winter haulout. My old CD25 is moored less than a hundred feet away. The new owners are very happy with her. Hail us if you are ever up this way.

Greg Phillips
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Greg,

We have been by there many times but never overnighted in Center Harbor. Anchored inside the Torry I's a couple of times. We are hoping on being at the Wooden Boat School for their wooden boat gathering at the end of the summer. The Reach is a really nice break from the lobster pots and beautiful too.

Joe Mair
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Ted Gaidelis

beards

Post by Ted Gaidelis »

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know
"why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads
weren't paved.
Ted
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Beards

Post by Oswego John »

In winter up north, women wear fur coats, men wear beards. It may be 0° F outside but under the chinwhiskers, it's nice and warm.

Think spring,
O J
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Beards

Post by Carter Brey »

My only problem with my beard was wondering if there was an errant splash of soup in there somewhere after a meal.

Greg, lovely SS34. Those Luders Seasprites sure were graceful boats.

CB
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

shaving or knot

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Getting up in the early morning foggy, putting something very sharp to my throat, has never been a wise thing for me to do, hence the beard of 41 years!

Mike