Row a Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Mac Phee

Massachusetts Law About Oars

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

My understanding about the Massachusetts law requiring an oar or paddle is that the law only applies to boats less than 16 feet in length. There is an exemption for PWC.

My 14 foot Cape Dory Handy Cat (gaff rig) has the traditional aspect ratio for a Cat (50%) and so is 7 feet wide. It came originally with oar locks and they have been used although it is not easy to row a boat 7 feet wide (you need long oars or long arms).

Joe Mac Phee
S/V Iolanthe
CD-30/K
Bristol, RI
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Massachusetts Law About Oars

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Mac Phee wrote:My understanding about the Massachusetts law requiring an oar or paddle is that the law only applies to boats less than 16 feet in length.
Thanks for the clarification. That's a recent change, at least since they printed my (decade old) safe boating booklet. I did the Google search and the state's summary of the rules say they "now" require oars only on smaller boats. The change makes complete sense.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

We used oars on our Ty for the first year we had it. They worked, and it was fun to row, although we really needed oarlocks that raised the oars well above the rail as the oar rubbed the genoa track. I was able to clip along at a fairly good pace. The problem was that our mooring is only about 30 ft from a large granite boulder that is near the lee shore in our cove. If I missed the pickup on the mooring and the prevailing wind was blowing 20 knots, I had to row like hell to stay off the rock. Scary times. Now we have a 2 hp Honda and fewer worries about the rock. The oars are still available and I've just recently found a supplier of the raised oarlock.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey ever one,
oars are required in all the states only on smaller boats and the in land lakes as well...
if you want to rowe a typhoon you will need seven to eight feet oars, not fun unless you want a good work out and don't for get if there is any wind or waves you will be out there for a long time to come....
have fun with it.
winthrop
Lang

Sculling a Typhoon

Post by Lang »

Ahoy.

I tried sculling Eleanor after reading the NZ website about sculling technique.

For my test, I made simple plywood oars and mounted an oarlock on the transom. First, I had a 12' Yuloh which didnt work at all. Then I made it 16' with a 3' blade and it gave me 1/2 knot. Not very easy to scull out of a tight marina with such a long oar too...

So I tried with a 8' straight down oar with a fishtail shaped blade. It required more energy than the 16' Yuloh for 1/2 knot and was hard to keep straight line.

Finally I decided to use 1 paddle. Sitting on the transom and paddle over the side. That was simple, easier to store, wont be knocking into neighbours when getting in or out of slip. Its a OWO(One Woman Operation)

If anyone knows a sculling system that work for a Ty, I would really like to know.

Happy sailing
Lang
Bob Schwartz

Thanks for all your great help

Post by Bob Schwartz »

I just bought a Typhoon and plan to sail it without an engine. As usual, input from CD Board is helpful, thougthful and insightful - also humor and good cheer.

Thanks for all your help. I will be making good use of your advise.

Bob Schwartz
(Typhoon to be renamed)
Bob Schwartz