Far East Sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Far East Sails

Post by Carter Brey »

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience buying sails from this Hong Kong firm.

Thanks
CB
tartansailor

Import Sails

Post by tartansailor »

Carter,
It has been my experience crewing on big boat racers that my
skippers do not like import sails because:
The thread thicknesses vary way more than American.
The imports use fewer but larger threads.
The import threads are not packed as tightly as American, consequently longevity goes down the hopper.
The stiffening resins are not even in the same league as American with respect to durability. I'm a Che, I know that for a fact.
The import cruising sails that my buddies are ashamed of do not appear to my tired old eyes to have the degree of reinforcement that a good set of American sails have.
Buy American, and tell Kurt I said so.
:D
Dick
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Opinion...

Post by DanaVin »

Carter,
I just bought a set from The Sail Warehouse for GE a few months ago. These were made in the Orient. After seeing a lot of different sails here on the West Coast and getting pricing for them all, I decided to get these after a friend got a complete set for his 31' ketch. Later he left on the Baja HaHa (the annual trek south along the Baja Peninsula to Cabo San Lucas. He is now cruising the Sea of Cortez.) I spoke with his crew mate the other day (he flew home from Cabo) and he said the new sails worked fine. I did check the construction on mine very thoroughly when they arrived. I must admit, I was impressed.
In some areas they appear better constructed than the UK and US sails I inherited when I bought her. (The PO had provided me 13 bags of sails.) So there were three reasons for me buying them.
1. Quality.. as I had seen his 31' ketch rigged out beforehand.
2. Availability... My sizes were in stock (last ones!) as compared to 3 to 6 week delivery times.
3. Price....By far, the lowest price I could find.
I'm not saying these are the best that can be purchased. Far from it. But for the price, the quality of the ones I saw and then purchased were excellent.
I understand there is an American that oversees the fabricating site.
Just my two cents worth.
Thanks and Congratulations on a nice boat.
Dana
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Discount sails

Post by Carter Brey »

Gentlemen,

Interesting comments. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Well, it's only December, so I can continue to mull.

Best regards,
Carter
Woody

Domestic Sails

Post by Woody »

For Carter and anybody else thinking of new sails I would urge you to give Bill James of Air FX Sails a call. (800-748-5258) He will give you a quote over the phone. I bought a new Yankee, staysail and main and love them. The product and service were wonderful........ however, it is the price that will blow you away. I also bought new sail covers. Get this, they are made by HARKEN! They ran about $20 a foot when you purchase sails through Air FX.