continue CD25 outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike C

continue CD25 outboard

Post by Mike C »

to those who have 8 hp and 9 hp in the well let us see some photo's. The previous owner of this CD25 could not fit the 9.9 yamaha in the well so put it on the stern. I will trade anyone this 9.9 yamaha for a small engine like a 4 to 6 hp. It looks Uuuuugly and cheap. From my measurements the largest that will fit is a 5 hp.

If to you would like to see how terrible trashy it looks I can send you photo of this one.
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Pix, please

Post by DanaVin »

Hi,
Had the same issue. Since in CA. we can't buy 2 stroke engines, we have the larger 4 stroke. My measurements dictated a 5 h/p. as the largest I could install without major cutting and redesigning the well.
Just lately, I've been this close () to installing it on the stern but after a lot of thought, have decided to leave it where it is.
We'll just pull it out and flush it, then store it after each use.
I'd really like to see those pictures and how it was installed.
By the way, I believe the Honda, though a great sturdy engine, is one of the larger ones on the market. Still, we move along at 5 1/2 knots at 3/4 throttle. We get about an hour travel time on 1/2 a gallon, depending on conditions.
Please send to
scGladysErzella@netscape.net
Thanks,
DanaVin
CD25, 1977, #541
San Diego Bay
tartansailor

8 hp Honda 4 Stroke

Post by tartansailor »

The above fits in the engine well of Picaroon (CD 25) quite well, with no modification. It came with the boat, and quite frankly I am thinking of dumping it and doing without all that weight in the stern.
Another thing I do not like is the handle sticks out of the bulkhead thus restricting rotation.
It is after all a sailboat.
Dick
Lee Kaufman

NIssan

Post by Lee Kaufman »

I have a Nissan 6 hp in the well of Morning Star CD25 #12 and it fits just fine. I am able to turn it and close the hatch over it. It seems like it is a bit noisier (is that a word?) than necessary and has a little more vibration that I would like. It pushes the boat along well though.
bill2

9.9 hp

Post by bill2 »

Mike

I just purchased ( a couple weeks ago ) a cd 25 that came with a 2 stroke "Sears Gamefisher" short shaft 9.9 hp that may really be a "Mariner" under the paint and it does fit the well with the throttle sticking out ( up somewhat ) above the hull yet below the hatch which won't close with the engine in the well because of the throttle. It does take quite a bit of finagling to get it into the well, turn it sideways lower, tilt, straighten, lower, tilt, etc and is a pain especially if you're by yourself. I don't particularly care for the short shaft part but it came with the boat so I'll probably keep it for now.

As for pic's - well since its now on the hard ( just this week ) in Baltimore and the engine at home, pics would not be available till launch in March or so. If you'd still like pic's then I'd be glad to post ( or email ) them if you want.

I've seen pic's of other cd 25's that either have the throttle protruding like mine or better yet where the owner has removed the throttle, lowered/installed the engine, then reinstalled the throttle through the opening at the front of the well. Definitely the hot lick for a "cleaner" install.

You might have some luck finding pic's right away by going to Google and instead of during a straight search, hit the images drop down box and then search for cd 25 - it will return images of cd 25's ( or whatever else you want to search for ) and one or more should show the cockpit/engine well with an engine installed.

Good Luck
DanaVin

Pix of engine installation

Post by DanaVin »

When I lower my Honda into the well, I turn and lock the lever that normally prevents the tiller from going down past 90 degrees. This makes it quite easy to mount on first attempt. As she is lowered, I bring the tiller (which is pointing straight down), up a little to go under the horizontal boards. Finally, when in position, I lock the throttle lever again.
Some installation photos can be seen at my website.
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com
Since you can't leave an o/b in seawater, the pain, as you mention, is raising and lowering the o/b so often.
DanaVin
CD25
San Diego Bay
Mike Johnson

outboard for CD 25

Post by Mike Johnson »

I have a Honda 8hp 4 stroke in ERRANT ONE. Had to search for an older model which fit in the well. I have a 2002 long shaft and it fits perfectly. I have the motor out for the winter but I could put it back in and take pictures if you need me too. I just have to take the tiller handle off each time it goes in and out.
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

CD-25 Outboard....

Post by Dave Brandt »

If you do a search you will find quite a bit on this topic.

I shoe-horned a 8hp Honda into mine, would not Recommend it, required a custom motor mount and enlarging the well.

There are some photos at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debhgxc/d ... m=2570.jpg

Dave
DanaVin

One last item!

Post by DanaVin »

Forgot to mention to things. One, the PO had installed a small frame around the engine well top so the hood is actually about 2" higher than original. He had a Mariner engine, if I remember correctly, and told me he had to do that for clearance.
Second item is that when motoring, I have to tie the hood so its open about 2 to 3 inches. This allows the Honda 5 to breathe so much better and run smoother. Before doing this, it use to choke on its own exhaust.
DanaVin