Holiday Wish List

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

Holiday Wish List

Post by Peter Drake »

I've got my heart set on the solar-powered/wireless Tacktick T100 Speed & Depth System. MSRP only $999.

Probablility of finding this under the Christmas tree...very low.
Better adjust my expectations to more closely align with reality.
I could use a new sweater, though.

Happy Holidays!
P-
slaume

A long list

Post by slaume »

Peter, I have a long list but I just know I must have been just a bit too naughty (or not naughty enough) this year so I probably will not get any of it for Christmas. Chart plotter, new head sails and an up grade to the charging system are on my list. I will be making a list and checking it in time for the Defender warehouse sale late this winter. I hope Santa is good to everyone, Steve.
Dick Barthel

naughty

Post by Dick Barthel »

Slaume/Peter: This naughtiness must be contagious along the southeastern Connecticut shore. I've been told that Santa's already brought enough stuff for DW this year.

Peter you can take the lump of coal you get and tie it around a string and you've got your depth sounding covered.

Dick
slaume

Mugs from Santa

Post by slaume »

The last over night trip I did in November, I got up in the morning chill and brewed a nice hot pot of coffee. I set my plastic cup by the companionway steps and poured it full of that hot life giving nectar. As I was getting some milk the cup started to make a tic, tic, tic sound. That was followed by a snap and the flood of coffee onto the cabin sole! Boy was I glad I don't drink it black! I could have be sitting in the settee with scalding coffee in my lap and no Mc Ds to sue. So fellow sailors, nice mugs are a safety issue. I found some beautys at Ocean State Job Lot which is a close out store in CT and RI. These are insulated stainless steel with plastic handles and covers with a nonskid foam on the bottoms. They have a nice round lip without the cover and they float! For two bucks this may be the best buy in boating. Santa is getting us a full set with a spare, Steve.
Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

The gift of giving...

Post by Peter Drake »

Hey Steve & Dick,

I've got a great idea!
How about you go in together on my gift this year. Easy on-line ordering from Defender, only $500 each, plus 6% CT sales tax. Just think of the joy you'll bring.

Then, I'll be able to use the coal to heat my house. Brrr...

God bless you both,
P-
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Mugs from Santa

Post by Neil Gordon »

slaume wrote:So fellow sailors, nice mugs are a safety issue.
Not just mugs...

Happy sailors are safe sailors. (What would make you happier than a boatload of boat toys?)

Comfy sailors are safe sailors. (Too many things in this category to list!)

Sailors who rely on multiple means of navigation are safe sailors. (Lots of electronics here, but also sextants, binoculars, hand bearing compasses, etc.!)

Sailors who plan are safe sailors. (Think cruising guides and the like.)

Sailors who consider all available data are safe sailors. (A nice matching clock/barometer set would keep you out of trouble, don't you think?)

Sailors who know how to relax at the end of the day are safe sailors. (Think single malts.)

Remember, as Captain, your number one responsibility is the safety of the vessel and its passengers/crew. Do whatever is necessary to enhance safety.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Christmas Gift Problem Solved

Post by Oswego John »

I'm going to give each of two of my sailing pals a bottle of Whip N Dip. These guys are driving me sane when i see them cutting line and just leaving it to frazzle.

One of them is challenged by a severe case of lazyitis, so maybe in addition, I'll gift wrap a roll of black, plastic, electrical tape to be used instead of the Whip-N-Dip. (The junk tape made in Mexico, not the 3M good stuff.) Gotta be practical, ya know. I'm living on a fixed income. :D

Ho-ho-ho
O J
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey John, i give you half of the money. hows that...winthrop
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Go Halfies

Post by Oswego John »

Winthrop,

Sounds like a good plan. It's a deal.

Ho ho ho,
O J
bottomscraper

Magic Teak Elf

Post by bottomscraper »

I want a magic teak elf to come and strip my teak and put about 10 coats of varnish on it. Heck even if they come, clean it up a little and put a couple of coats of Armada would make me happy!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
mike feeney

I want

Post by mike feeney »

No living things attached to Pilgrim which aren't human.
Being on starboard and closer hauled than other sailboats in the area.
No powerboats in the area.
Fresh breezes.
No rain during the day.
Space in the anchorage.
Hard ice.
Not having to go ashore.
A nice view of the sunrise/sunset.
My wife not to have to wear a patch.
No mud or unidentifiable stuff on the anchor when it breaks out of the water.
My guest to haul the anchor.
A very high paying job at the marine supply store.
Highland Park (a single).
A longer sailing season.
Peace on CD's and goodwill to sailors.
Mike Feeney

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I want

Post by Neil Gordon »

mike feeney wrote:No living things attached to Pilgrim which aren't human.
Make exceptions for salty sailing dogs, okay?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698