Typhoon Compass?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Appleton68

Typhoon Compass?

Post by Appleton68 »

I'm looking for recommendations and/or comments with regard to size, type, brand, cost, etc. of a new bulkhead mounted compass for a Typhoon Weekender. TY
Greg
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon Compass?

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey,
most use the saturn compass,
bulk head mount,
5" 3/4 inches in dia, there are two sizes,
i put it in the bottom hatch board,
so you can see it from any seat.
winthrop

Appleton68 wrote:I'm looking for recommendations and/or comments with regard to size, type, brand, cost, etc. of a new bulkhead mounted compass for a Typhoon Weekender. TY
Neil Mietz

compass location

Post by Neil Mietz »

That's a good idea, putting the compass in one of the hatch boards. Don't get a lighted compass with wires to a battery.

The other Neil
________
DISCUSS VAPORIZERS
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 15th, '11, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Compass

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

I mounted a Plastimo Contest 101 on the bulkhead. Putting the compass on the drop board may be a better idea, as it is in the center, and you don't give up a backrest![img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... d352b8.jpg[/img]
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Compass II

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

This is a Tacktick solar powered compass. This is the one I go by-I find the digital readout easier to use.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 4c8311.jpg[/img]
Tod Mills

I use a Plastimo Mini Contest on my small boat...

Post by Tod Mills »

which works fine for me, although it does interupt the backrest a bit.

I know a fellow who mounted a compass atop the sliding companionway hatch, on centerline, just forward of the aft edge. The thing to beware of there is that when lowering the mast, there is a potential for it interferring with the compass. On my Thistle, the compass mounts similarly on a horizontal surface, but is easily removeable with a small twist.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: compass location

Hey Neil,
i don't put on the bulk head, because people like to lean on it, you don't want it in your back.

and on the mast your lines can get hang on it.

on your hatch board, what i did was get electric connecters that pull apart for the light.
beside you don't need the light all the time.
winthrop
Neil Mietz wrote:That's a good idea, putting the compass in one of the hatch boards. Don't get a lighted compass with wires to a battery.

The other Neil
John Vigor

Winthrop's right

Post by John Vigor »

Winthrop's right. Placing your compass on a hatchboard is the simplest and most practical way to go about it.

I had a cruising Santana 22 on which I did just that. When the compass wasn't needed, I simply turned the hatchboard around so that the compass was inside. I also closed the boat up with the compass inside, so it didn't need any protection from the sun when I wasn't there.

I had a Silva compass that doubled as a hand bearing compass as well. It slipped into a fitting (supplied) on the hatchboard. It had a small red LED and battery in the handle for night work. It was perfect for a small boat.

John Vigor
CD27 "Sangoma"
Bellingham, WA
slaume

The hatch board

Post by slaume »

I vote for the hatch board. When we were sailing the TY I did a crew pole and the bulk head location was soundly rejected. I went one step farther and made up a dedicated hatch board for the compass. On most day sails, in familiar waters, the whole bundle stayed safely wrapped up down below. Just get a compass big enough to read, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Compass II

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mike Wainfeld wrote:This is a Tacktick solar powered compass. This is the one I go by-I find the digital readout easier to use.
Nice, and according to their website, there's lots of stored energy to get you through fog, night, etc. Still, rather than rely solely on an electronic gizmo, I'd be carrying a traditional magnetic compass as well.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Appleton68

Thanks & One more question?

Post by Appleton68 »

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate it.

With the dedicate board, what type of wood did you use?

Teak, marine plywood, something else?
Greg
slaume

Decking

Post by slaume »

Paloupe (sp) is a decking material available at many lumber yards. It typicaly comes 5/4 X 6 so I had to joint the edges and glue up a wider piece then plane it to 3/4" for the hatch board. It looks very much like teak for a fraction of the price with most of the same qualities. If you buy yourself an 8 or 10 foot piece you will have some for all sorts of projects, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Thanks & One more question?

:wink: teak of course.......
Appleton68 wrote:Thank you for all the input. I appreciate it.

With the dedicate board, what type of wood did you use?

Teak, marine plywood, something else?
Appleton68

Thanks Again

Post by Appleton68 »

Thanks.
Greg