centers and sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike C

getting home

Post by Mike C »

[quote="Mitch F"]Mike - Where there is a will there is a way.

So far this has been an adventure even if I don't get it home. Yes we thought of towing with a outboard and the bolt on motor idea. At the moment it would be a an island to island hop, and in best case we have planned it down to about two months, with normal waiting for weather and the best winds as we go. Believe it or not the technical issues are not as daunting as to the certain official we are dealing with, who, - I think - sees a glint of "fees".

by the way, I have also been searching for salvage boats along the gulf states. There is a hidden problem - caution is advised in buying any boat that has been "totaled" by insurance claims. It seems that getting clear title becomes something of a question, once it been stamped SALVAGE.
rtbates

buy a GOOD liferaft

Post by rtbates »

Be sure you have a good liferaft on board and know how to deploy it in a blow. A Mustang Survival suit may come in handy as well.

Best of luck
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: centers and sails

Post by Neil Gordon »

John Vigor wrote:If your destination lies to leeward, ... get the mainsail down and use the storm jib alone for reaching and running.
Depending on how close your leeward destination might be. A leeward destination evolving into a rocky lee shore might suggest clawing to windward while you have room.

Quick comment on reefing and boat speed. If you're thiniking about reefing, you're probably going as fast as hull speed will let you. Reefing might not reduce that speed at all and, in fact, the more comfortable ride will often let you steer straighter, using the same speed to greater advantage.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Lindsay Smith

stainless steel

Post by Lindsay Smith »

You could get 3 six foot sections of heavy wall (.25 inch wall) stainless steel square tubing and secure it to the mast with metal strap banding. The metal strapping kit should be available from Graingers, and can be carried in a suitcase. The stainless would have to be shipped I suppose. With one tube port and starboard and one tube forward of the mast, a lot of strength would be added. The metal banding is 1/2 or 3/4 inch wide, so you could put on 40 or 50 bands if you wanted to. Also, you might be able to band up past the gooseneck and still be able to drop the mainsail. Also, somehow get a low stretch line from the top of the mast to the stern. I think the outboard is a good idea. You won't get the engine repaired down there for a reasonable price, and the repair may not hold. If you stay on the"inland" side of the Bahamas - the side away from the open Atlantic the outboard should be OK for the leg up the Bahama chain. Then it's one day to Florida. By far the most important things you can do are listen to the weather predictions and take your time. EPIRB, liferaft, H2O. I offer this as a novice for your consideration.