Cleat inserted into arch of foot

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Will Angus

Cleat inserted into arch of foot

Post by Will Angus »

For the sake of amusement, I?ll share a dumb move. In a momentary lapse of seamanship, balance, and luck, I was able to insert, quite far, one end of one of the cleats on the combing into, way into, the arch of my foot. Of course I had to get mad at myself for bleeding all over the boat. Any one else have safety issues due to the position of the cleats?
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer Review
Last edited by Will Angus on Mar 11th, '11, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
rtbates

ouch!

Post by rtbates »

That had to hurt!
Randy 25D Seraph #161

cleats

Post by Guest »

I find that you learn very quickly where to step after breaking a couple of toes!
Reed
Home Port Avondale, RI

Post by Reed »

Wow, that was a nasty boat bite...and yes, my wife in particular and I also have never liked the position of those coaming cleats. They are definitely hazardous. One simple way to eliminate the need for them, is to change the sheet winches to self-tailing.

Reed

formerly CD31 #51 Mary Alice, and currently J42 #65 Cayenne
M. R. Bober

Ouch!

Post by M. R. Bober »

Usually I take the top (cutting edge) of the self-tailing winch to the mid-shin. Always a great bruise;periodically a bit of blood, but hey what's sailing without cuts & bruises?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where the bluebloods bleed red), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
bill2

oops

Post by bill2 »

Well if I have to -

While boarding my boat with friends at her dock some years back, I chose the only damp spot on the boat to balance as I stepped aboard. You know I slipped between the dock and deck with cooler and all . Fortune was somewhat with me as I caught my balance with my other leg and came up smiling ( at least that's what my friends thought ) . They never did guess why I didn't move around very much that day - probably attributing it to old age ;-)
So the bone(s) weren't broken but to this day the doctor says I'm a quarter inch shorter on the left side and I just shrug ;-) anything more would be admitting my sea legs aren't the same.

I just remember time heals all ( at least most ).
mike feeney

fending off.....poorly

Post by mike feeney »

While fending off a small powerboat which was approaching to visit I put the pointy end of it's smallish cleat into the fleshy part of my hand (between thumb and index finger. It hurt for a long time and left a gristly looking residue on the cleat.
I am much more careful now.
Mike Feeney

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

no bare feet

Post by guest »

From the time I was a boy my dad would never allow bare feet on the boat. 45 years later, when I'm on the foredeck with no shoes, I can still hear him saying "no bare feet". I guess he was right after all.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Ouch!

Post by Neil Gordon »

M. R. Bober wrote:Usually I take the top (cutting edge) of the self-tailing winch to the mid-shin.
That's my favorite, too. Doesn't need to be self-tailing, either.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

No bare feet

Post by SeaBelle »

I have a 'no bare feet' rule although one sailing buddy continously tests the rule; I suspect he thinks its 'salty'.

The reason for my rule is not to be against saltiness but rather my belief that a stubbed toe involuntarily cancels the 'one hand for the boat and one for yourself' rule. I don't want anyone overboard.

When images of barefooted crew climbing to the yards come to mind, we must remember life was cheaper in those days. Loss of life and limb was accepted then but not now.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

No bare feet

Post by Carter Brey »

The protruding rain deflector flange over one of the Spartan portlights was what convinced me to stop going barefoot on board. I had just finished laboriously scrubbing the deck-- including the nonskid-- when I ripped open a toe on that flange.

Despite my pain and foul language as I put on a bandage and cleaned up the mess, there was a part of me that found it amusing that my little sloop, just like a ship of the line at Trafalgar, had blood running from the scuppers.

Arr!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: No bare feet

Post by Neil Gordon »

SeaBelle wrote:... we must remember life was cheaper in those days.
Sure. And shoes weren't.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Didereaux

Carter, and now we know...

Post by Didereaux »

Aha! Now we know why you are moving up in size...no, not the implied more comfort. You want a boat big enough to carry cannons!

I can see it now..."Mary Ellen II" Capt. Horatio Brey

heheh
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

cleats and bruises

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The cleats that provide me with the most bruises are the ones on the foredeck. I manage to bang my knees or shins on one of them nearly everytiime I flake the staysail.

I've never hurt myself on any of the winches or cleats in the cockpit though I have had a line run through my hands (have worn sailing gloves ever since) and I've managed to trip on the yankee sheet a couple of times while getting off the boat -- this usually results in losing a shoe and/or falling in the dinghy, the launch or onto a dock. I suppose some day I'll fall into the water but that hasn't happened yet.

I guess I'm just a clutz.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have plenty of dings and scrapes and quite a few scars from boat time, but my favourite, and most public mishap came upon my first bareboat charter trip. Four of us had a wonderful sail and were just coming into an island park dock where several other boats lay tied up.

I made a good approach, the right speed, angle and all. Then I jumped to the concrete dock with the line. After feeling my legs fling forward and not letting go of the line, I knew something was amiss. The line was too short and in the drink I went, much to the amuzement of my crew and the others 'round the dock.

Since it was Lake Superior, and May, I simply bounced off the water and found myself on the dock very, very quickly with only a few gashes on my foot. To this day I always check dock lines to make sure they are longer than half the boat length! My pride was somewhat saved that trip by the fact that my crewmate messed in his own pants after a rather bad burger ashore. We were even. Needless to say, our partners had a lot of laughs that trip. The is no greater humbler than sailing, and no greater joy than walking away and learning from those humbling experiences.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Paul