Are Cape Dory Sailboats as Cool as they Look?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

WAY UP NORTH

Post by Oswego John »

Bill2,

It gets worse than that. Some day, when I'm not so busy, I'll relate my experiences sailing from the Prudhoe Bay Yacht Club.

One hand for the boat, one hand for the harpoon. :D

Have a good one,
O J
David Hest

Minnesota Typhoons, etc.

Post by David Hest »

Scott,

I see by your first post that we are fellow Minnesotans. There are many CDs on Twin Cities lakes (4-5 Typhoons on Lake Harriet, for example), but typically not many on the market at any one time.

I own a Typhoon Daysailer, which doesn't have a cabin. The benches are 8 feet long. Another option, if you are interested in a roomy cockpit, would be a Pearson Ensign. Same designer (Alberg) as the Typhoon (and most of the CDs), but in the 22-23 foot range.

Good luck as you explore your options. If you would be interested in looking at my boat come spring, let me know. It's in storage now, but I will be working on it in the garage beginning in March or April.

David
Scott

Cape Dorys in Twin Cities

Post by Scott »

David, I didn't know what a Cape Dory was until I sailed over and asked that gal what she was sailing. I'd seen the boat out before and was taken with its sleek classic look. Once I learned what the "TY" was, then I remembered seing "TY's on the lake so there are a few out on WBL too.

Thanks for offer of a boat tour in the spring. I'd like to take you up on it.
David Hest

CDs on White Bear

Post by David Hest »

Scott,

I am familiar with three Typhoons and a CD25 on WBL, including a gorgeous boat moored at Matoska Park and another on the north side of the lake. I may even know the famed silver-haired single-hander (was that you, Carol?). I am hoping to moor my boat there next year as well, although slip/mooring availability is very tight, so that might not be possible. Send me a private message sometime to arrange the Miss Ty tour.

David
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

CD25's

Post by DanaVin »

Hi,
Just read your post on CD's. FWTW Dept., I've owned "Gladys Erzella" since 2002. Completely refurbished her from stem to stern, from bottom to masthead. What a solidly built boat! My youngest son and I have had her out at 40 degree heel with the seas just barely coming over the rail! Although I much prefer sailing around 15 degrees, we wanted to see if she could make the 40. We've gotten her up to 6 knots with her new sails but generally 5.5 is our normal speed. When the winds die, the Honda 5HP pushes her at about 5 knots. Very forgiving boat but we feel safe and secure aboard her. Still get plenty of compliments on her looks and restoration every time we take her out or just sitting in the cockpit in her slip. Not as easy to set up, etc as a TY but still we trailer her home once a year for upgrades. Restoration can be seen at
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com
We probably went a little overboard on her interior (microwave, 1200 watt inverter, SSB Marine Radio, VHF, Split Screen GPS/Depth Finder, new upholstery, cushions and curtains, AM/FM/CD player with portable speakers, new head and holding tank, water pump for sink, rebuilt ice chest, etc. but it's like home when we sit and relax inside. She's home now, in fact, and we still take pride in seeing her every day. A great little boat. DIY, I believe it was, stated something about "any Cape Dory sailboat is a good buy." I believe we can all vouch for that sentiment!
I've seen a TY in San Diego and must say I really like her looks! Owner has redone her, as well, and she is beautiful.
DanaVin
1977 CD25, #541
"Gladys Erzella"
San Diego Bay
Troy Scott

cool TY

Post by Troy Scott »

Scott,

I had a Typhoon about 25 years ago. It was SOOOOOO beautiful. I've kicked myself several times for ever selling it. I single handed it all over Mobile Bay and occasionally farther. I never had an engine.

Try to find one that hasn't been "monkeyed-with". The more original it is, the better. The only problem I know about is that occasionally the deck will be crushed down a little under the mast, probably from mis-rigging. You can fix that.
Regards,
Troy Scott