Epifanes wood finish gloss

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom

Epifanes wood finish gloss

Post by Tom »

Now that the sailing season is over it's time to start working on the winter projects beginning with refinishing the teak on a 78 TY weekender. I have all of the wood prepared except the rub rails. I would like to retain the natural color of teak and am considering using Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss however I don't know that this will give me the color(or lack of color) I'm looking for. When Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss is applied to teak what is the resulting color? Any pics?Thanks
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

In my experience the Wood Finish Gloss's final finish is virtually indistinguishable from the standard Epifanes Spar Varnish.

The size of the image in this message has been restricted by the webmaster. For instructions on including images within posted messages, and how to control their size, please read "Sticky: Include a photo or graphic in a message posting....how to..." located in the "About this Board" forum.

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
<Image deleted by dasein668 due to being resized to a point where it no longer conveyed useful information.>
Last edited by dasein668 on Mar 23rd, '06, 19:52, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Nice Boat!

Post by Sandy D. »

Beautiful boat Nathan.
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

Thank you!
Nathan Sanborn
dasein668.com
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Epifanes WFG

Post by Carter Brey »

I agree with Nathan-- this product looks like spar varnish. I used it for two seasons and was very pleased.

Damn, Nathan. Dasein looks kickass.

Best regards,
Carter
Dick Barthel

A beauty

Post by Dick Barthel »

Nathan,

How much head room do you have in Dasin with that raised doghouse? She sure is beautiful with the contrasting colors and great teak.

Dick
Tom

Post by Tom »

Nathan,
Thanks for the reply and picture -beautiful boat. Tom
dasein668

Re: A beauty

Post by dasein668 »

Dick Barthel wrote:How much head room do you have in Dasin with that raised doghouse? She sure is beautiful with the contrasting colors and great teak.
Thanks. I'm quite proud of how she turned out after working nearly full time on her last winter. Note that the "teak" is actually mahogany, though!

As for headroom, I haven't measured, but based on my height (5' 10") and the overhead clearance, I would say that it's probably just about 6 feet in the main saloon. Forward in the head area I have to just duck my head, so something in the neighborhood of 5' 9" I would guess.
Nathan Sanborn
dasein668.com
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Carter wrote:

I agree with Nathan-- this product looks like spar varnish. I used it for two seasons and was very pleased.

What would the reason be for picking the Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss over the Epifanes Spar Varnish? Is it the look? Do they both have similar UV protection properties?

Dick
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

The only real reason that I can see is that the Wood Finish Gloss is a no-sand product when recoated within (if I recall correctly) 72 hours. This lets you build up base coats quite quickly with less hassle. With my coamings I applied about 5 coats in a week then sanded them heavily to flatten them before applying 3 or 4 more coats with sanding between.

They seem to have similar UV resistant properties. At least, here in Maine I can't see any difference between the two.
Nathan Sanborn
dasein668.com
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

Dick Barthel wrote:What would the reason be for picking the Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss over the Epifanes Spar Varnish? Is it the look? Do they both have similar UV protection properties?
WFG is specially formulated to adhere to teak and it "breathes" somewhat like Cetol or Armada. As I have said before, however, it is not a "slap on three coats and your done" product like Cetol or Armada. It still needs six or seven coats like varnish.

The other advantage is that, in theory, you do not have to sand between coats as you do with varnish. In practice, I doubt you will be able to apply six or seven coats without having some "holidays" that need sanding. I know I can't.

I do not agree that WFG is "indistinguishable" from varnish but it's close enough for most people. I started experimenting with it this season and so far I am very pleased.
Lee Kaufman

Post by Lee Kaufman »

Let me add what you already know . . .

BEAUTIFUL BOAT
Dick Barthel

CD available from Epifanes

Post by Dick Barthel »

Spurred on by this thread I went to the Epifanes website and found out you could get a CD from them with a lot of info on all their products including usage tips. My CD within a week.

One thing you learn is Epifanes (EPEE-FAWN-US) is the greek word for Epiphany. Definitely a high end product line to include great brushes,etc.

Dick
Russell Skinner

Epiphanes

Post by Russell Skinner »

I redid my teak with it last year and am really pleased. However, one lesson I learned was you really need to put a bunch of coats on. In the spring I only got three coats on, telling myself I'd put more on later, of course I didn't and it stared to were off by the end of July. I'm in Virginia, so the UV is intense. I'd say 5 coats is what you need. No sanding within 72 hours is wonderful and it looks absolutely great!

Go for it.
Russell Skinner

Epiphanes

Post by Russell Skinner »

I redid my teak with it last year and am really pleased. However, one lesson I learned was you really need to put a bunch of coats on. In the spring I only got three coats on, telling myself I'd put more on later, of course I didn't and it stared to were off by the end of July. I'm in Virginia, so the UV is intense. I'd say 5 coats is what you need. No sanding within 72 hours is wonderful and it looks absolutely great!

Go for it.