What Cape Dories have showers? Feature for next move up...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

It is interesting what topics bring the most responses.

Our 33 has a shower as Al describes only without the curtain. I feel it is excellent if the conditions are so:

Your sailing is mainly short to medium trips where extremem water conservation is not a priority, so weekends and weeklong cruises or so.

You have an engine heated hot water tank (we almost never are hooked up to a marina)

A real shower with more water is important to you or your family/guests

Your head drains into some form of sump and not the bilge. Mine drains to the bilge and frequent use will lend a funk to your sweet smelling Cape Dory.

You don't mind wiping down the head afterward which I think would be important to control mildew etc. A solution to this is to shower right after each other and then the last crew cleans.

It was a real nice thing for my partner to shower after a week and a half in the Isle Royale wilderness. She was so enthusiastic about it afterward she encouraged me to take one. I did and must admit it felt very nice, and I am a wilderness guy!. If traveling for much longer cruises I would probably use the same system with extreme conservation. But we are on the biggest lake in the world with pretty sweet water. On the ocean I would probably do the sprayer method.

A nice topic, we cannot underestimate the value of these luxuries to others who sail with us. But luxury it must remain if we are to keep it all in perspective. I do not go sailing in order to take hot showers.

All the best,
Paul Danicic
Paul
jambalaya

showers?

Post by jambalaya »

My CD30 C with "B" interior has a shower in the forward head area.
The main problem with an on-board shower is that when you are cruising, i.e. longer than a weekend, You cannot carry enough water in your tanks for showering and other essential uses too. Another essential use is drinking. If you are going to do any long term cruising, i.e. a week or more, shower when it rains, or use a sun shower.
Will
Jambalaya :D
Will Parker
dmulvany

Post by dmulvany »

The Deluxe models of the 1984 24 foot Cape Dory Trawlers have showers. Haven't used one myself, but happen to know this since I looked up information for the standard model (which I'll be selling soon) and then looked at information for the deluxe model.
Dana Mulvany
dmulvany@usa.net
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Our 32 has the usual shower in the head as well as a shower in the cockpit. We rarely use the shower in the head.