Format/size of postings on our computer screen?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jean Keevil

Format/size of postings on our computer screen?

Post by Jean Keevil »

Does anyone know why some postings appear on our screen in a wider format that requires scrolling to the right in order to be read (as in "Ash Strip Interior" from Mike Johnson,) while most (as in "Windlass on 30MKII" from Shanna Paxton Merrell) fit nicely on one screen? This is clearly NOT a life and death question...just a rainy day query from the mountains of southern Oregon...
Jean
David van den Burgh

Width differences

Post by David van den Burgh »

Generally it is because people have included images in their posts that are too large to fit the screen without scrolling left to right.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Posting size

Post by Carter Brey »

Probably my fault in that case; I couldn't upload a reduced-size image to my ftp server for some reason. I apologize for that.

CB
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Controlling size of images...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You'll find the instructions for controlling the size of images (they should be no wider than 540 pixels) in the "About this Board" forum. It's one of the "Stickys" near the top of the forum. Read:

Sticky: Include a photo or graphic in a message posting....how to... - Cathy Monaghan Sat 2/5/05 10:20 am (503 views)

You must use HTML coding, BBCode (the default used by the message board) won't do the job.

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Follow Cathy's lead. That reference she gave cured my "wayward" photo postings on this board and its simple to do. Just write it down and keep it handy for the next time you have to resize a picture. :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
David van den Burgh

Or try Photobucket.com

Post by David van den Burgh »

Warren Kaplan wrote:Just write it down and keep it handy for the next time you have to resize a picture.
For anyone who hasn't tried Photobucket.com, you might like it. Nothing to urge here but a FREE, easy-to-use storage site that allows you to generate thumbnails and appropriately sized images without using a photo editing program. Photobucket.com automatically sizes your uploaded photos to 512x384 (approx) - well within the Board's specifications.

Again, nothing to urge. Just hoping to make life a little easier.
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

You could also just switch to a browser like Firefox that automatically resizes photos for you on the fly while you browse.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
bottomscraper

Free Software : Easy Thumbnails

Post by bottomscraper »

I have been using this free software for resizing pictures. It works great if you need to resize a bunch of pictures. You can have the program process all photo's in a directory (folder) and either name the new reduced copies using a prefix or suffix or place the results in a different folder. It works with most versions of Windows and is very small by todays standards only 1.4MB.

Easy Thumbnails Web Site
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com