Lifeline netting on CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lifeline netting on CD25

Post by Guest »

Hey.

I am a CD25 owner. I also own 2 sailors ages 2 and 4!

I am planning to go with lifeline netting next year for safety reasons.

I am looking for advice re installation. Should I drill a few holes in toe rail / run a second lifeline or a cord along the deck / or what?

Im sure some great ideas exist out there.

John B
Buffalo NY "sailing capital of the Great lakes"
tartansailor

2 yr & 4 yr old Sailors

Post by tartansailor »

With all due respect John, and children's' lives at stake, this is the wrong place to form a basis for a decision.
Go to a professional rigging shop and have them install something they will guarantee.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Lifeline netting on CD25

Post by Neil Gordon »

I installed mine with some lighter line from stanchion base to stancion base, then laced the netting around the lifelines at the top and the line at the bottom.

Even with netting, young sailors should be tethered and strongly attached to the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
barfwinkle

Like Neil said

Post by barfwinkle »

I too installed mine as Neil described. However, I used a much heavier line at the base using a trucker hitch to gain purchase and really snug that bottom line.

Also, instead of purchasing the net from WM or other Marine joints, I got my from Memphis Net. They sell it (or did) by the pound. I purchased something like 30 lbs and it cost $17 or so including shipping. If you search on this site you should find a thread on this subject. I do need to replace mine, but that is one of those round toits.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

I THINK

Post by barfwinkle »

this is the link

http://gmocart4.gmotion.com/store/merch ... ting_seine.

And I think I used either .30 or .36 weight
Bill Member #250.

reply to Dick

Post by Guest »

Rest assured that safety is first.

This past year when my son was still 1 and my daughter 3 I had them appropriately tethered. I later rigged 2 car seats up against the cabin on either side of the companionway facing aft. This worked nicely and freed my wife and me up a bit to pass around ginger snaps.

....I suppose that I would need to rig the netting so that jib sheets could run freely to the winches...

Thanks for advice...

John B
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: reply to Dick

Post by Neil Gordon »

Anonymous wrote:....I suppose that I would need to rig the netting so that jib sheets could run freely to the winches...
Rig the netting first. Then you can see what adjustments might be needed. I had no problem with the sheets, but needed to cut away some of the netting on either side to provide room for winch handles.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Lifeline netting on CD25

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi. i did that for my kids along time ago, its works...winthrop

Anonymous wrote:Hey.

I am a CD25 owner. I also own 2 sailors ages 2 and 4!

I am planning to go with lifeline netting next year for safety reasons.

I am looking for advice re installation. Should I drill a few holes in toe rail / run a second lifeline or a cord along the deck / or what?

Im sure some great ideas exist out there.

John B
Buffalo NY "sailing capital of the Great lakes"
Ed Norton

Netting installation

Post by Ed Norton »

John
I installed the netting on my CD 25 as well. I did not run a lower life line. I used 3 truss head SS sheet metal screws along each toe rail to secure the netting. The netting was installed only as an insurance policy, and to give my wife a comfort level. When you have childern on the boat you should handle them like you do not have netting. Safety and very definate rules and regulations must be taught. The netting should only be there for the unexpected trip or slip not as a primary type of device to keep children on the boat.
My children are grown, now we are thinking about reinstalling the netting to keep our yellow lab on the boat. Unfortunatly his reasons for ending up in the water are voluntary and I would need SS safety netting to keep him on the boat.
Ed Norton
Neil Gordon

Re: Netting installation

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ed Norton wrote:... we are thinking about reinstalling the netting to keep our yellow lab on the boat.
I keep Roxy tethered, most recently with a line that runs from the center of the dodger frame to her pfd. It gives her enough slack to go from port to stbd and back again (all on the command "Helm's a'lee!," of course) or lie on the cockpit floor but not enough for her to leave the boat. I suspect I'd tether any young crew member in similar fashion (although I'd probably consider a stronger attachment point to the boat).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698

Post by Guest »

Good ideas.

I think I like the idea of running a taught line from stantion to stantion, perhaps no screws would be necessary along the toe rail, then cut out a small segment if needed for winch handle/jib sheets.

No need to pay a "professional" to do that.

'Professional' - defined; A sailmakers flunky nephew.

Thanks again

This is the first year owning my boat. I plan to get her on the hard this week after a final sail Sat am.

I am looking forward to working a bit on the teak etc etc.

John
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

Hey I registers! :D
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

oops ...I mean I registratified
bobdugan

Post by bobdugan »

John B wrote:oops ...I mean I registratified
Now you can edit and delete your posts!

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

John,

I have a 2 year old who is rather on the move. As an infant, I just adjust the conditions (read as CHOSE) we went out in. And we strapped a child carrier to the binnacle and dropped him in there when Carmela and I needed to work hard. It was great and though he got wet when it rained he was happy as Larry as he was in the middle of the action yet safe and sound.

I digress, now, with a mobile young guy I needed a way to keep him aboard. After researching kiddie harnesses I sewed up one myself from some climbing webbing. This works well and should keep him aboard for real. The lifeline netting I got at a net shop for rather more than $17 but it is white. (Carmela didn't like my cheap orange plastic almost free snowfence idea, why I'll never know!) Anyway, I met a couple on a steel schooner who have two kids and he used plastic ties to attach the netting to the lifeline and parachute cord line at the bottom between stanchions.

This I plan to do next spring being intimately aquainted with both items and pushing on his rig. I didn't really need it this summer as our time was limited aboard and we did no big trips. The schooner couple lived aboard last summer and he said it worked well, keeping the older guy aboard when he snuck out of site occasionally. It looked like it had saved some adult weight too.

I forget the net suppy place in Texas I got the netting from but this previous link sounds like a better deal. I did not go for large working load as the harness and lifelines are for that. When Asher is on deck, one of us is as well. I agree with the post saying the netting is for preventing the accidental slip. In Lake Superior, there is not much margin for error for a crew overboard so we take that rather seriously up here.

I love having my little guy aboard, though it does take some extra work. My goal has been to make it as sweet as possible for the customer (his mum). Netting will go a long way to that end. Might even save that damn dorade vent cover too!

All the best,
Paul