I'm a new CD-25 owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ned_Mellon

I'm a new CD-25 owner

Post by Ned_Mellon »

I just put the downpayment on my CD-25 today. I'm pretty excited. I'm planning to rent a slip at the Matthews Poiint Marina on the south side of the Neuse River in North Carolina. This forum was instumental in giving me lots of useful information in choosing the right boat for my family. Thanks everyone.

I have a couple of questions you might be able to help me out with.

1. My boat is missing its stern rail. I'd like to get a new one fabricated . Can anyone in NC recommend a fabricator? Anyone have one they want to sell?

2. The battery on my boat is stored in the engine compartment. I'm a bit nervous about having a potential spark source near my fuel source. Am I being over-cautious or should I move the battery.

3. I'm a bit tall and can just barely lie down in the setee berth. Has anyone tried to make the starboard shelf (where the stove might sit) removable to provide some knee room. Is this a difficult modification?

4. One of the light fixtures is missing. Can anyone suggest a source of an original looking replacement?

Thanks in advance,
Ned Mellon
Ron M.

CD25

Post by Ron M. »

Ned , congrates on your new boat.The 25 was my first CD and what a fine vessel to sail,(although wet at times).
Probably would be a good thing to get batteries out of the engine well and into the cockpit lockers against the bulkhead.
Defender may still sell stern rails or check local yards and marine consignment shops.
As for your missing light fixture;if it is one of those aluminum o.e. jobs I'd be glad to mail you one for the cost of postage.I replaced the ones on my boat.
________
Gm Vortec Engine Specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

New CD25 owner

Post by Carter Brey »

Hey, Ned, congratulations.

Do move that battery out of the lazarette immediately. When I bought my 25, the PO had a fusebox for the alternator wires attached to the aft bulkhead in there. I ripped all that out and ran the alternator wires directly out the front to a plug in the cockpit, with an inline fuse inside the cockpit locker. Sparks and gasoline in the same closed compartment could mean they someday find bits of you scattered from Cape Hatteras to the Great Smoky Mountains.

There's a moulded-in shelf at the forward end of each cockpit locker that's meant for the battery. You can use one of those and screw restraining strap guides into the wood bulkhead.

Lights: I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the brass bulkhead reading lights or the overhead lights used in the head and just aft of the DC panel. I have a spare one of the latter, probably needs a little cleaning to get it working.

Best regards,
CB

Missing light

Post by Guest »

Carter,

I am indeed missing one of the overhead lights, the one near the head. I'd gladly pay you for the light as well as any shipping.

Thanks,
Ned
Ned_Mellon

I'm still learning how to use this board

Post by Ned_Mellon »

The previous reply was from me, not some unidentified guest. I forgot to log in before replying. Oops.

Also, I used the search function to look through old posts and discovered the answer to my question about getting a stern rail fabricated. It seems that the Tops in Quality company located in Michigan can handle the job. For anyone else interested, their web site is http://www.topsinquality.com.

Ned Mellon
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Ned,

Hi Ned,

Welcome to one of the best sailing areas on the east coast. Hope you decide to join our local CD Fleet!

I was the CD dealer here in Oriental for many years and may well have one of the old style lights somewhere in the workshop. You can have it if you come over and pick it up.
Also, I solved the short berth problem on Rhiannon in a rather unique way but don't know if it would work on a CD-25. I can email pictures if you'd like.

I'm a comfortable sail from Jet's so come over by boat if you need an excuse to go somewhere.
________
Yamaha blaster specifications
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ned_Mellon

I'd lve to see how you solved the short berth problem

Post by Ned_Mellon »

Andy,

Please send me a photo or two on how you solved this problem. I'm definitely open to suggestion.

I plan on joining the fleet just as soon as I can and I'll stop by to pay a visit next time I'm coming to Oriental.

Thanks so much,
Ned
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Let me help if I may Andy....

Post by Scott MacCready »

Here's some pictures I have of Andy beautiful boat....I'll let him explain them.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/travel-rn/forwardportcabin.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/travel-rn/forw ... settee.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/travel-rn/forw ... eshelf.jpg[/img]
Didereaux

maybe this would help...I'm 6'4" so ....

Post by Didereaux »

[img]http://users4.ev1.net/~mphillip/Berth_xboards-sml.jpg[/img]
or
http://users4.ev1.net/~mphillip/Berth_xboards-sml.jpg

This was the test set up. I simply cut an old coffee table in two and then trimmed for width. They fit across the cabin sole and give me an almost queen sized berth I use one of the cushions from the v-berth to fill in. Amazingly comfortable.

hope this helps

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Andy Denmark

Thanks, Scott

Post by Andy Denmark »

While I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to post pictures on the BBS, my friend Scott does it for me! Now I have to explain them -- a fair trade, I'd say.

I don't know if my solution will work on a CD-25 but it does on a CD-27. I simply cut out the bottom of the bulkhead on the starboard bunk and converted it to a foldup shelf, giving room for an extended berth. Now the berth is over 7 feet long. This has added new comfort to sleeping aboard. The cushion has been replaced and covered with material that matches the other bunks. The shelf is hinged with SS piano hinge and the rest of the moldings are available from West Marine. I did this on both the port and starboard sides of Rhiannon in the main cabin.

The foldup shelf is great for a place to put the computer, a convenient and comfortable writing surface, and a place for the key and logbook for the ham radio installation. There is still enough locker space at the forward end for the few hangup items I usually take along in case there's an invitation to a yacht club party or some other fanciful ocassion (jacket, pressed shirt, khakis, tie, etc.).

There's another significant difference that shows here. I took out the lower part of the port and starboard berthside lockers, cut away some of the FRP sections (that did nothing but support the locker fronts anyway), and sheathed the sides of the boat with ash ceiling strips. This is a tricky operation as each strip must be custom fitted. I am reluctant to say how much time and effort was spent on this project but the end result is a much wider bunk, very little loss of storage space, and a much larger and aesthetically appealing interior. Seating comfort is not affected and the bunk sleeps much better as I am a big guy and need some "turnover"room that wasn't there in the original design. None of the above is difficult but does require some head scratching and considerable engineering.

The electronics stuff you see is the "boilerplate" of the ham radio installation -- for the hams out there, this rig is an ICOM 706 MkII that goes to an SGC-230 autotuner at the base of the backstay. I work mostly HF-CW and meet the ICW net in the mornings on 40 meters (7265 @ 0745) when I am aboard, a great benefit to anyone who traverses the ICW and Bahamas. This has proven to be an excellent setup. I have worked all over the world from Rhiannon as WD4MIA/MM2.

While in the "ham mode" here (better discussed in more detail as another thread), the usual questions about "grounds" on ham/SSB rigs is simply answered by Gordon West's latest theory, that all one needs to do is connect to the water. I'll be glad to discuss this with anyone seriously interested but running strips of copper all over the bottom of your boat is NOT the answer. My (his) system works as well as any copper foil system I've ever seen and several local hams now use it with great results. The signal reports are proof enough.

As for "boilerplating," this is a carryover from my engineering days where we always constructed a mockup (prototype) of a new product before attempting to manufacture it. Doing this almost always shows up some changes that need to be made that impact the final design. The ham rig installation shown here is currently being modified to incorporate HF email via PACTOR III, XM radio (great addition), and a battery monitoring system. When all of this is working and redone properly I will post pictures on the BBS (That is, if I've have figured out how to post them by then ----- otherwise, I'll get Scott to visit here, give him a Dark & Stormy or two, and let him do the pictures!!!) :D

Hope this helps in some small way as to extending berths and/or ham rig installations on the smaller Cape Dories.
________
VAPORITE SOLO
Ed Norton

CD 25

Post by Ed Norton »

Hi Ned
I just sold my CD 25, I own a CD 27 which I love. Different boat than the 25. I owned the 25 for 20 years lots of great sailing memories. You are going to love the boat trust me. I suggest Defender(www.defender.com) for stern rail. I had to replace the bow rail on my boat. Defender sells tops-in-quality rails for 1/4 the price tops quoted (don't ask me how they do it) The rail I purchased fit perfectly and looks great I paid $386 to include shipping and handling.
Move the battery! I don't like batteries and gasoline next to each other. My battery was in the seatee locker against bulk head. This also get some weight out of stern and protects battery terminals from accidental contact.
There are a ton of web sites offering lighting for boats. Might be time to upgrade. I switched all interior lights to LED type great light very low energy consumption.
Good luck, fair winds, enjoy owning a great boat
Ed Norton
Andy Denmark

Errata sheet for above

Post by Andy Denmark »

First, my apologies for the verbose and off-topic post last night.

There have been "snowbird" friends at my pier for the past few days and we celebrated their (first light) departure this morning with steaks on the grill and way too many Dark & Stormies yesterday evening. Before hitting the sack I read the BBS and couldn't resist responding to Scott's kind posting of the pictures of Rhiannon on my behalf. Almost certainly those D & S's contributed to this late night posting and the errors that inadvertently crept in.

1. The foldup shelf is only on the starboard side berth. To do so on the port side would eliminate the head. That might prove highly inconvenient at times.

2. If the fact that I take some "dressy" clothes on my treks up and down the ICW leads anyone to suspect that I am a "yacht club" sort of person then that illusion needs to be dispelled. My so-called "yacht club" -- Hancock Yacht Club at MCAS Cherry Point, NC, is about the least "yacht clubby" organization one can imagine -- but our members enjoy reciprocal privileges with many other YC's up and down the coast and some of these require coat and tie for their dining rooms. This is a small price to pay for a free slip, great food, and other club privileges.

3. Except that Scott's pictures portrayed the first iteration of the ham radio installation on Rhiannon, the subject was certainly off topic. Sorry for the verbiage about all that. If any of the CD hams out there would like to continue the ham thread then let's move it to a different posting.

So, with the air cleared on the BBS and another beautiful fall day upon us, I'm off to get some yard work done before the next snowbirds, now leaving Norfolk, show up. If I finish early enough maybe I'll take Rhiannon out this afternoon for a night on the hook to enjoy the full moon tonight. Sounds like a plan!
________
NEVADA DISPENSARY
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Lights!

Post by DanaVin »

Hi,
I, too, replaced all my original aluminum light fixtures with brass ones.
If you need any, let me know.
Thanks,
DanaVin
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com
CD25, San Diego Bay
1977, #541
Ned_Mellon

Thanks for the input everyone

Post by Ned_Mellon »

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Here is what I've decided to do about my problems.

1. The stern rail. I got a quote from Tops-in-Quality for a new rail. They already had a drawing for a cd-25 stern rail on file. The cost will be $535 plus $130 for shipping. I'm still awaiting a quote from Custom Marine Fabrication in New Bern. Hopefully, their quote will be cheaper and I won't have to pay any shipping.

2. First order of business I'll move the battery back to its customary location in the port cockpit locker.

3. I appreciate the suggestions I've seen so far. I'm still not sure which way I'll go for the permanent solution. I will definitely by using the piece of plywood across the setees as a short term solution.

4. Rather than try to use original light fixtures I will upgrade to high intensity LED lamps.