Bow Pulpit for a Ty

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

vtsailor

Bow Pulpit for a Ty

Post by vtsailor »

I figured I would pose this question to this board, because you folks seem to have all the answers! I'm looking for a source for a bow pulpit for a Ty. I'm getting close to buying a Ty and she doesn't have one. I appreciate your help!
slaume

Do you really need one?

Post by slaume »

We sailed a Typhoon for a couple of years with no pulpit. At first I was thinking about trying to get one to put on. The longer I had the boat the less I felt the need. Others may differ in this opinion but I just could not justify messing with the lines of the boat by putting all that pipe up there. It would be a great place to mount running lights and hang an anchor. The anchor would have been the greatest justification in my opinion. What do you really want the pulpit to do? If it is a safety issue your money might be better spent on a harness. Others may feel differently but I would sail the boat one season stand back and look at her a few times and then decide if you really need a pulpit or if there is one of a hundred other things you would be better off to spend your money on. They are fine boats, congratulations, Steve.
vtsailor

pulpit

Post by vtsailor »

My desire to get one stems from a recent sail on a Ty in pretty choppy waters trying to retrieve a mooring. Having the pulpit to lean against/ hang onto was pretty handy. It was sized small enough so as to not detract from the beauty of the Ty herself.
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

The pulpit is a real comfort when you are changing head sails - which often happens as the wind pipes up and the water gets rough. I suppose if you had a roller furling system, this would be less of an issue. I was hesitant to put mine back on after rebuilding the deck (I hadn't sailed her yet), but one trip up to the bow by my wife to swap the genoa for the jib convinced us that the safety factor far outweighed the looks issue.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Bow Pulpit for a Ty

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...the company that made them does not make them any more, you will have to have one made your self, sorry...winthrop

vtsailor wrote:I figured I would pose this question to this board, because you folks seem to have all the answers! I'm looking for a source for a bow pulpit for a Ty. I'm getting close to buying a Ty and she doesn't have one. I appreciate your help!
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Defender used to carry a couple of sizes of bow and stern hardware.
________
Mercury M-Series Picture
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bob G.

Bow Pulpit

Post by Bob G. »

Consider your age and how sure-footed you are. I agree with the others, no need if you have a furling system. You might want to check out some of the marine consignment stores.
Andy Denmark

Typhoon bow pulpit manufacturer

Post by Andy Denmark »

The company that manufactured most of the bow pulpits, stern rails, stanchions, etc. for Cape Dory is Tops-In-Quality, Inc. I believe they are in Michigan and are still in business.

Give them a try. The standard pulpit height for a Typhoon is 18" but I think they will fabricate a pulpit to your specifications. TNQ may hae merged with another company (High Seas?) but they should still have the specs for a Typhoon bow pulpit on file. A Google search will turn them up no matter what.

http://www.topsinquality.com/mechpul.htm
________
Yamaha Cs1X
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
vtsailor
Charlotte, VT

bow pulpit

Post by vtsailor »

Thanks all for the advice!
________
Vaporizer store
Last edited by vtsailor on Feb 15th, '11, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Moore

Typhoon Bow Pulpit

Post by Brian Moore »

Hi,

I just bought a CD TYphoon and I am taking off the pulpit.Let me know if you need one and I'm sure that we can settle on a mutually acceptable price.Email me at bmoore@smireland.com

Thanks

Brian

Laura T # 897
Lang

Ty pulpit

Post by Lang »

Brian,

Would you please post a picture of your Ty with the pulpit on. I am interested to buy if it looks right for me. Thanks.

Lang
Brian Moore

Post by Brian Moore »

Hi Ty.

Pulpit gone I'm afraid.Thanks for your interest.

Brian.
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

There is yet another school of thought...

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Hi,

If it is that choppy that safety is an issue, why not just rig a jib dowsing line so that no one has to go forward?

The bow of the Ty is such a great place:
1. For crew to get on when pushing off,
2. ditto to step onto the dock when coming in under sail,
3. or too hot under power or a gust,
4. for lying down on to reach the mooring line, buoy penant etc,

that we made a conscious decision to not have a pulpit to have to work around.

Just my two cents...plusses and minuses for all hardware/rigging.

Serge