Open Day Sailor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Montana
Member 781

Answer for O.J.

Post by Joe Montana »

Oswego John -- I forgot to answer your question: my cockpit is NOT self-draining. The deep cockpit is one of the things I like best about this model. The mast is stepped on the keel.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Thanks - Welcome - Wow

Post by Oswego John »

- - - in the above order.

Antares, thanks for the info.

David Hest - Welcome to our sailing community. No more lurking around in the anonymous shadows. Welcome aboard.

Glenn Barnett - Wow. Full foam flotation. That's a new one on me concerning CDs. Was it factory installed or was it done aftermarket by you or a PO? Whatever, it really stimulates my interest.

Best regards to all,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
David Hest

Thanks, flotation, etc.

Post by David Hest »

Thanks for the welcome, Oswego John.

My daysailer also has foam flotation. I believe that much of the bow, the space beneath the seats, the enclosed area at the stern (I know there is a term for this, but it escapes me) and the space between the liner and the hull (at least at the chain plate port) are foamed. I have never seen the foam in the bow or beneath the seats, since these areas are covered by the liner. But I recall seeing an ad for a Ty daysailer awhile back that mentioned having removed the foam beneath the benches to increase storage space.

Winthrop: Most people who leave Mystic Lake with a small fortune start with a big one. Luck must have been with you.

David
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Thanks, flotation, etc.

Post by winthrop fisher »

david,

it was the biggest one we had ever seen, the one in kc is small to mistic lake, and one night they had fire works that lasted for 15 mins, it was the best display of fire works we had ever seen before.
we are headed up there next year, we loved it....

foam in a typhoon day sailor, never heard of that one, maybe.

there is things they did to there boarts thru all the years, that sum have and others did not have.

like sea cocks in typhoon, the late model one's had them but all the olders one did not.

winthrop
David Hest wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Oswego John.

My daysailer also has foam flotation. I believe that much of the bow, the space beneath the seats, the enclosed area at the stern (I know there is a term for this, but it escapes me) and the space between the liner and the hull (at least at the chain plate port) are foamed. I have never seen the foam in the bow or beneath the seats, since these areas are covered by the liner. But I recall seeing an ad for a Ty daysailer awhile back that mentioned having removed the foam beneath the benches to increase storage space.

Winthrop: Most people who leave Mystic Lake with a small fortune start with a big one. Luck must have been with you.

David
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

Oswego John,

Yes, it's true. Foam flotation. As David suggest it is definately factory installed. There is foam in nearly all the spaces between the hull and the liner {and the hull is fully lined up to the hull-deck joint). It has it's pros and cons. It makes getting to the interior parts of the hull a real pain, but I like the warmth, security and quiet.
Glenn Barnett
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Flotation In A Ty

Post by Oswego John »

Winthrop and all,

Well, what do you know? Foam flotation in a Ty. As I've already said, that's a new one on me. I wonder if the larger, later models of CDs have any flotation? I don't believe that I've heard anyone mention it before.

Speaking of seacocks in older Tys, like you said, some have them, some don't. My Ty Weekender, #42, built in 1969, supposedly the first year of production, came with a real marine head. It had two seacocks for it, in and out. This was before the newer laws required holding tanks, etc., I guess.

There is no room on a Ty for a holding tank or other associated paraphenalia so I yanked it out by the roots and put in a porta-potti. I removed one of the seacocks and it's through hull and installed a paddle wheel for a knot meter in it's place. The other lower seacock was serviced and properly capped off, ready for hull drainage or whatever circumstance might arise.

Knock on wood, after all these years, everything seems to be holding pretty well.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Flotation In A Ty

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi to all....

no foam in my ty 75 weekender or the 22 its a 84.

i had the paddle wheel, but one time we were sailing and it came off. i did not like it...

got to go, buy...

winthrop

Oswego John wrote:Winthrop and all,

Well, what do you know? Foam flotation in a Ty. As I've already said, that's a new one on me. I wonder if the larger, later models of CDs have any flotation? I don't believe that I've heard anyone mention it before.

Speaking of seacocks in older Tys, like you said, some have them, some don't. My Ty Weekender, #42, built in 1969, supposedly the first year of production, came with a real marine head. It had two seacocks for it, in and out. This was before the newer laws required holding tanks, etc., I guess.

There is no room on a Ty for a holding tank or other associated paraphenalia so I yanked it out by the roots and put in a porta-potti. I removed one of the seacocks and it's through hull and installed a paddle wheel for a knot meter in it's place. The other lower seacock was serviced and properly capped off, ready for hull drainage or whatever circumstance might arise.

Knock on wood, after all these years, everything seems to be holding pretty well.

O J
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

More on the Open model

Post by Jim Davis »

My wife's boat is a 75, hull number 11 (CPDG0011M75G). It seems from following this thread that Cape Dory used three different model identifiers in the HIN:
Weekender "D"
Fully open "G"
"Hutch" "K"
As with the other Day Sailors the boat has most of its unreachable space filled with foam. As a result I find that my wife's electric carving knife has become an important tool. While she has a genny, we seldom use it as the boat is easily driven with the main and jib. Having a self tending jib makes an afternoon/evening sail a real pleasure, no scrambling with sheets when we tack. With a deep reef in the main she will take almost anything we are likely to run into here on the Chesapeake and generally only takes a little spray over the bow.

That said, I would recommend that other Day Sailor owners put an electric bilge pump in. A small lawn tractor battery (Home Depot) will provide plenty of power. This isn't so much for when sailing but when you get heavy rain at the pier. It is nice to go down to the boat after the storm and see her floating on her marks. The battery can also power running lights and if you get carried away a radio.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep meet to decide what to have for dinner. Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Jim, thanks for clarifying this...at last. My daysailer ID has a "K", which makes it a "hutch." Is that really CD terminology? "Cuddy" sounds a little more nautical to me, and the C/K sound would make sense. Anyway, thanks again for finally clarifying this.

Joe
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Cuddy/hutch

Post by Jim Davis »

I made it up as I went. Cuddy sounds like it can do more than hutch, like hide a porta potty for example.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Just to continue the thread

Post by Jim Davis »

My friend called today and his open Daysailor is a 75, hull 37. I have heard that only about 40 of this model were built so I will guess they are all about 1975 and followed by the ones with the small cabin, or hutch as I called it. From other posts these seem to have been built up to the end.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei