Open Day Sailor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Open Day Sailor

Post by Jim Davis »

Spent the day helping a friend bring an Open Day Sailor home. He had just bought it. The winds weren't any good for sailing the boat, but it still was a pleasant day on the Chesapeake. Took us just over six hours to motor 28 miles on 1.5 gallons. He is going to spend the winter cleaning it up. In the spring my wife, with hers ( http://ladypauline.com/typhoon/P5210116.JPG ) and his, on hers, will do some real "One Design" racing.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

It seems there are at least two different models of Ty daysailers. See a photo of mine. Does anyone know whether these different models were offered simultaneously, or if Cape Dory switched from one to the other at some point. Anyone know how many of each were made? Were there other daysailer models?

http://www.capedory.org/specs/TYdaysailer.jpg
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Antares...

sorry to tell your this, but you have a weekender.
most people think the cabin is to small for any thing,
but you can sleep in there and do long weekends on your typhoon, or as long as you want.
allot of people do weekends and sleep on board.

but she has a day sailor, her typhoon is all open...

winthrop

Antares wrote:It seems there are at least two different models of Ty daysailers. See a photo of mine. Does anyone know whether these different models were offered simultaneously, or if Cape Dory switched from one to the other at some point. Anyone know how many of each were made? Were there other daysailer models?

http://www.capedory.org/specs/TYdaysailer.jpg

Daysailor versions

Post by Guest »

My Daysailor appears to be identical to the photo posted by Antares. If you look closely, you will see that the cabin roof is shorter than on a Weekender, and the cockpit longer. A photo shot from the stern would show that there is no cabin, just open space with a small, box-like storage area going forward to the bow (at least mine). I don't have any info on the "open" version.

Have seen various posts on this forum regarding the number of Daysailors manufactured, from roughly 40 to 200. If I understand hull ID numbers correctly, the middle four numbers indicate the sequential number of the hull. My hull is number 0021 and was manufactured in 1979. If other Daysailor owners with boats built in the 80s would be willing to share this number, we might be able to determine how many were manufactured.

Jim: Do you know your wife's boat's hull number and date of manufacture?
Nick Price

daysailor numbers

Post by Nick Price »

My Typhoon daysailor, open version, is hull number 55. It's my understanding that these were the first made followed by the cuddy version and then the weekender. Daysailors and early weekenders had no self-draining cockpits.
Nick

Year manufactured

Post by Guest »

Nick,

What year was your boat manufactured? (2nd and 3rd to last digits in the hull ID number, if I understand correctly)

David
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Day Sailers

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Antares,

Your Daysailer looks beautiful, congratulations. Could you tell us what number and date of manufacture it is? I see by the picture that it has a keel stepped mast, not a tabernacle.

Nick is correct in saying that the earlier models didn't have self draining cockpits. Is your cockpit self draining?

FWIW, my Weekender #42, 1969, is keelstepped. I recently sold a weekender #56(I believe), 1970, that had a tabernacle and self draining cockpit. This gives some idea of the many changes that have occured in that short time span.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Nick Price

Daysailers

Post by Nick Price »

Unfortunately I don't have the boat or documents here in London but my memory is that it was made in 1970. If O J's weekender was No. 56 and was self draining it would seem to shoot down my supposition that they were not made concurrently. I have a friend with the cuddy version and will ask him to check his hull number and date of birth.
Nick
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

I believe that Cape Dory must have built all three versions of the typhoon more or less simultaneously, since you see all three versions from about all the years TY's were manufactured. (with the exception of the very early weekenders with the wood slat seats and keel stepped masts).
We have an open cuddy daysailor, "Ondine" nearly identical to "Antares". She is definitely a daysailor as indicated by her open interior, mast top rig and hull identification code ("K" I believe). She is hull #141 and was manufactured in '86. I believe her to be one of the very last, if not the last, typhoon built. We sail her on Puget Sound where the deep, well protected and warm cockpit is much appreciated. She does not have a self draining cockpit but does have full foam floatation and a large manual bilge pump with no through hulls save for the garboard drain. She came with a keel-stepped mast which I converted to a deck-step, so I could step the mast solo, other than that she is completely original. When not in use the whole rig fits into the garage.

Glenn
Glenn Barnett
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Daysailor versions

hey...

sorry i am wrong, i should have look at it a little longer, you are right.

but why don't you use your name ?

the dog house is allot longer on the weekenders and allot more on top of it, besides there is no port holes in the picture.

sorry, so are you going to tell me your name ????

winthrop

Guest wrote:My Daysailor appears to be identical to the photo posted by Antares. If you look closely, you will see that the cabin roof is shorter than on a Weekender, and the cockpit longer. A photo shot from the stern would show that there is no cabin, just open space with a small, box-like storage area going forward to the bow (at least mine). I don't have any info on the "open" version.

Have seen various posts on this forum regarding the number of Daysailors manufactured, from roughly 40 to 200. If I understand hull ID numbers correctly, the middle four numbers indicate the sequential number of the hull. My hull is number 0021 and was manufactured in 1979. If other Daysailor owners with boats built in the 80s would be willing to share this number, we might be able to determine how many were manufactured.

Jim: Do you know your wife's boat's hull number and date of manufacture?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Daysailers

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Nick,
There is a good chance that your theory is correct. It is my belief that the hull numbers for the Daysailer are unrelated to those of the Weekender.

Because of the difference in number manufactured in regard to both models, I would think that the hull number/year of manufacture for one model would be entirely different than that of the other model. In essence, there is no correlationship of determining the year of manufacture of one model by factoring in the data of the other model. The two year/hull numbers of each model are two separate entities.

But I don't know for sure, just my thoughts. Maybe someone else can clue us in.

Best regards,

O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Oct 3rd, '05, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
David Hest

Sorry, Winthrop

Post by David Hest »

Winthrop,

Sorry for being Mr. Anonymous. After lurking on this site for almost two years, it's time to register (hopefully it "took") and begin contributing, or at least ask questions. Your posts over the years are among those that convinced me that a Ty was the boat for me and my family.

This forum was a matchmaker of sorts in the purchase of our Ty daysailer early this spring (after contacting the PO, who had posted several renovation questions here in preparation for sale on Ebay). We moved her from Wisconsin to her current home on Lake Minnetonka, just west of Minneapolis.

Thanks to all for your encouragement of my growing passion for sailing.

David Hest
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Sorry, Winthrop

well its about time david welcome to the cd board....

we stayed at mistic lake for two weeks in april and came home with a few hundred in our pockets...

we like it up there...

have fun with your ty...

thanks...winthrop

David Hest wrote:Winthrop,

Sorry for being Mr. Anonymous. After lurking on this site for almost two years, it's time to register (hopefully it "took") and begin contributing, or at least ask questions. Your posts over the years are among those that convinced me that a Ty was the boat for me and my family.

This forum was a matchmaker of sorts in the purchase of our Ty daysailer early this spring (after contacting the PO, who had posted several renovation questions here in preparation for sale on Ebay). We moved her from Wisconsin to her current home on Lake Minnetonka, just west of Minneapolis.

Thanks to all for your encouragement of my growing passion for sailing.

David Hest

Pair of open Ty's

Post by Guest »

I will get the years and hull numbers for both in about a week. Right now we are out on the big boat for a short cruise.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep meet to decide what to have for dinner. Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Hi everyone. I'm relieved to find out that I hadn't overlooked a cabin on my boat all these years, and that I really do have a daysailer after all :) . My hull identification number is CPDK0103M82L. I think the nameplate in the cockpit says 103, as well. I have a jpg of the interior that might be of interest to others. I'd like to post it, but I don't know how. Can anyone explain how to do that?

Joe