Winter projects??

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fenixrises

Winter projects??

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Now that I 've nearly completed my new dingy I thought this might make a good winter project for you handy boat owners out there.

Its always nice to have a good hard dingy but it is hard to find a way to carry one on a smaller boat.

The design I chose is by Phil Bolger and plans are sold through Harold Payson . It is a Nymph design. 3'6" wide X 7'9" long. The particulars on the boat can be found here.

http://www.instantboats.com/nymph.htm

I simply modified the design and cut the boat into two parts. Now it will stow on the cabin top aft the mast.

As designed this dingy is quite light. I beefed mine up a bit 'cause I know it's going to see a lot of use.

Take care,
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Mike Rodriguez

CD30C "Sunshine" #233
Roosevelt Roads NAS Puerto Rico

Dinghy

Post by Mike Rodriguez »

Fred,
That is wicked sweet. Makes me wish I was handy.

Cheers,
Mike R.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Tell us more

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Fred,
How about some details about the split? How did you do it, how they nest together, etc. This is too good for such a short look.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
fenixrises

To Jerry

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Jerry,

I built the dingy somewhat according to the plans. The main changes I made were to add two additional frames(bulkheads) where the split would be. I made all the frames from 1/2" plywood instead of 1/4". I added a doubler to the transom for a small outboard motor and various re-inforcements at load points.

After assembling the plywood parts I taped the inside joints. Then I fiberglassed the outside, this is the normal method of construction for this type of technique, called "Stitch and Tape" or "Tack and Tape". I then installed the gunwales.

During the initial building I made the two extra bulkheads by measuring the inside of the dingy where I wanted the split to be. These two bulkheads where added before the dingy was cut in two.

I also made one new partial frame. The design calls for a frame just forward of the split. This I left in temporarily and removed after the partial frame and "split" frames were added.

After the fiberglassing, fairing and gunwales were all done I then cut the dingy in two between the "split" frames. To make this easier to do I seperated those two frames with a few pieces of cardboard. This left enough room for a sawsall blade. Then I smoothed out the cuts and fiberglassed over the unfinished surfaces. The reason for doing it this way is so that the dingy maintains its shape after it is cut in two.

Here you can see the "split" frames.

For a couple more pictures look here

http://www.sbastro.com/FeNIX/Projects/P ... temsFS.htm

Take care,
Fred B.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: To Jerry

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... you did a nice job, you could have done that on both ends...winthrop

fenixrises wrote:Hi Jerry,

I built the dingy somewhat according to the plans. The main changes I made were to add two additional frames(bulkheads) where the split would be. I made all the frames from 1/2" plywood instead of 1/4". I added a doubler to the transom for a small outboard motor and various re-inforcements at load points.

After assembling the plywood parts I taped the inside joints. Then I fiberglassed the outside, this is the normal method of construction for this type of technique, called "Stitch and Tape" or "Tack and Tape". I then installed the gunwales.

During the initial building I made the two extra bulkheads by measuring the inside of the dingy where I wanted the split to be. These two bulkheads where added before the dingy was cut in two.

I also made one new partial frame. The design calls for a frame just forward of the split. This I left in temporarily and removed after the partial frame and "split" frames were added.

After the fiberglassing, fairing and gunwales were all done I then cut the dingy in two between the "split" frames. To make this easier to do I seperated those two frames with a few pieces of cardboard. This left enough room for a sawsall blade. Then I smoothed out the cuts and fiberglassed over the unfinished surfaces. The reason for doing it this way is so that the dingy maintains its shape after it is cut in two.

Here you can see the "split" frames.

For a couple more pictures look here

http://www.sbastro.com/FeNIX/Projects/P ... temsFS.htm

Take care,
Fred B.
slaume

Nice dink!!

Post by slaume »

Nice dink, a very elegant and clever solution to the stowage problem. I just have to know; have you tried rowing it without the bow section bolted on? Just looks like one of those temptations we are constantly faced with in life, Steve.
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

What a beauty!!

Post by Christian Sava »

Fred,
You are to be commended for a job well done. Kinda makes me want to trade in my well loved, yet abused Achilles inflatable for something a little more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.

Well done!
Christian Sava
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

As of yet the dingy has not been in the water. I still have to get oars and oarlocks.

To Steve: I did look at the aft section and think it might be possible to row it by itself. In that case the stern transom would become the bow. It might work for one person but stability could be iffy.

As for nesting the two parts, it does work. But the thwart is fore and aft. So unless the seat is lowered or replaced with an atwartships seat the front part does not seat as far down inside the aft part as possible. Therefore rather than nest the two parts I may stow the front part in the v-berth.

Take care,
Fred B.
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Another Nesting Dinghy

Post by George Shaunfield »

I decided earlier this year that a nesting dinghy is the best way for me to go as well - one that I can row or sail. For any who might be interested, here is a 9' one from B&B Yacht Designs that is only 4'7" when nested. That means it will fit behind the mast of my CD26 with just a 3" overhang of the main hatch for offshore trips. Maybe I will find time to build it in a few months.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/spin.htm

George
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Nice dink!!

Post by Neil Gordon »

slaume wrote:I just have to know; have you tried rowing it without the bow section bolted on?
Reminds me of the half boat that Slocum used while sailing around the world.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
BuscaBrisas

Nice! I rowed one recently...

Post by BuscaBrisas »

and was very impressed with it.

Here's the start of my winter project: Access stairs to my 26'er that I built over the weekend. There were still a couple more things to do when this pic was taken, but I finished her up last night. There is a 4'x8' landing at the top next to the boat.

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/LF-T26stairs.jpg[/img]

*NPWSB uncertified picture :D

Tod
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Nice! I rowed one recently...

Hey tod, looks good. can you move it or do you park your boat next to it ?
you need a hand rail on one side.
winthrop
BuscaBrisas wrote:and was very impressed with it.

Here's the start of my winter project: Access stairs to my 26'er that I built over the weekend. There were still a couple more things to do when this pic was taken, but I finished her up last night. There is a 4'x8' landing at the top next to the boat.

[img]http://www.todspages.net/images/LF-T26stairs.jpg[/img]

*NPWSB uncertified picture :D

Tod
Tod Mills

winthrop...

Post by Tod Mills »

...the boat is blocked up, braced with boatstands. The stairs/landing is just sitting there. If I had to, I could slide it around, but it is kinda heavy. I made the landing a bit big so I'd have a place next to the boat to set tools, etc. A carport is coming, to help shield her from the weather. Lots of stuff to do, including repairing some spongey sections of deck, paint, etc.

Questions for ya: You own the Ty and the 22 both now, sailing them both, right? Which do you sail more? Do you like the way one handles better than the other?
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hey todd

hey todd...

i just added it to let people see we have both boats.

you see we had sail boats and power boats for a long time, so as the years past in the late 80's my wife sailed on the 22 and she like the size so later i got her one, three years old at the time.

it's really her boat. but i do ever thing on it, its ok, i like too.

she likes the ty but for long weekends or cruising she wants her boat, allot moving around room.

she named her boat easy rider as well and added the SR on the end.

we use both boats about the same amount of time, we have a slip and dry slipe as well by the lake, but in the winter i bring both boats home.

the 22 sits in the back yard and the ty sits inside because i make changes from time to time for off shore sailing and the larger lakes up here.

we have one lake here that is ten miles wide by over fifty miles long and it gets really windy, 35 knots and up with three foot waves small. its all right for the sailing.

i like both boats for sailing the 22 stays allot dryer and can take allot more then the ty as well, but i like the ty for the smaller size.

i don't want to bore you,

but it sounds like your boat is coming along, nicely.

i was working on a potter 19 for around a year and allot of tlc and small repairs, but i already sold it and put around thousand in my pocket.

i am looking for a nother fixer upper under twenty feet, they are easy to sell around here.

all i use is a five foot ladder on both boats for getting on board.

have fun with it.
winthrop

Tod Mills wrote:...the boat is blocked up, braced with boatstands. The stairs/landing is just sitting there. If I had to, I could slide it around, but it is kinda heavy. I made the landing a bit big so I'd have a place next to the boat to set tools, etc. A carport is coming, to help shield her from the weather. Lots of stuff to do, including repairing some spongey sections of deck, paint, etc.

Questions for ya: You own the Ty and the 22 both now, sailing them both, right? Which do you sail more? Do you like the way one handles better than the other?