criusing boats how big should the be

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Didereaux

ha! long-winded indeed! & books & such etc

Post by Didereaux »

harumph! Was going tro forego this discussion...but best laid plans and such...

Any quoter/believer of "Those who can, sail, and those who can't, write books..." are full of %$#^^! Period
Sloacum, Dumas, Smeeton, Letcher, Moitessier, Pardeys' and on an on.

end of post
(HA! I can so write a terse POST! so there pbfthhhhh!
:)
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: ha! long-winded indeed! & books & such etc

Post by Neil Gordon »

Didereaux wrote:harumph! Was going tro forego this discussion...but best laid plans and such...

Any quoter/believer of "Those who can, sail, and those who can't, write books..." are full of %$#^^! Period

end of post
Edited for additional terseness, without changing content:

Was going to forego this discussion but any believer of "Those who can, sail, and those who can't, ..." are full of %$#; Slocum, etc.

Nice try though. <g>
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bill Watson

A good teacher's view

Post by Bill Watson »

I need to comment - anyone can teach, but only those who can do something very good, and have thought about how to transmit that information to others so that they can build on it and make it "better", is a good teacher! Part of that is listening carefully to everyone, whatever their viewpoint. One of the benefits of this board! (Guess its touchy to an "old" teacher)
Peace and fair winds, Bill
rtbates

Walden Pond error

Post by rtbates »

NOT RWE it was Henry David Thereou sp?

rnady 25D Seraph #161
Didereaux

Randy, we could both be in a heap of ...

Post by Didereaux »

Shoot, Thoreau, Emerson, hell throw in Dickinson...the fact remains if some folks down in these parts get wind there are twoin the region here who even recognize the books, let alone the authors...why, they'll run us til' we hit the lower forty counties of Minnesota!

I simply shudder to think what would happen if one of my Nadia Sonnenberg albums was ever overheard down the way!

;)
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
rtbates

ssshh Didereaux!

Post by rtbates »

I try to keep it quite most of the time. Especially when it comes to opinions about what's so wrong about an economy that's driven 75% by consumer spending? If you think the economy is a tad slow or slowing now, imagine what it would be if we ALL saved like we should and lived in the same house for 35 years and paid cash for cars and kept them for a minimum of 10 years?

Randy 25D Seraph #161
rtbates

Dick, Neil

Post by rtbates »

Dick Good luck with convincing the other half!

Neil Who needs more bottom to clean ot hull to wax?

Dick: There it is. Tell your wife that you'll get any boat that she's willing to wax the hull and sand the bottom by hand!

randy 25D Seraph #161
rtbates

Winthrop 100,000 miles offshore in a little ty?

Post by rtbates »

Was Sally adding a few extra 0s?
If Not that's a lot of miles? That's 100 per day, a good day for a Ty sailing non-stop, 365 days a year for 2.7 years! Or 19 years sailing 100 miles every weekend. That's a lot of miles!! Do you work for a living or is sailing your living?

Randy 25D Seraph #161
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: ha! long-winded indeed! & books & such etc

Post by winthrop fisher »

:wink: hey, your right again....

Neil Gordon wrote:
Didereaux wrote:harumph! Was going tro forego this discussion...but best laid plans and such...

end of post
Edited for additional terseness, without changing content:

Was going to forego this discussion but any believer of "Those who can, sail, and those who can't, ..." are full of %$#; Slocum, etc.

Nice try though. <g>

Re: Winthrop 100,000 miles offshore in a little ty?

Post by Guest »

rtbates wrote:Was Sally adding a few extra 0s?
If Not that's a lot of miles? That's 100 per day, a good day for a Ty sailing non-stop, 365 days a year for 2.7 years! Or 19 years sailing 100 miles every weekend. That's a lot of miles!! Do you work for a living or is sailing your living?

Randy 25D Seraph #161
winthrop fisher wrote:just remenber that reading is not doing the sailing.
beside as i guess the trips i have had in the cd22 does not help you, i have only put over 150,000 miles and 1/4 of that is open ocean 800 miles from land, but thats ok...
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

My criteria was standing headroom and inboard power in the smallest boat I could find. Conclusion: the CD 25D. There are many descriptions and comments on this fine little boat in the archives. I have been very happy for the 4 plus years I have owned her. And my wife (not exactly a sailor) has been too.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Photo Chief

Haze grey and underway

Post by Photo Chief »

Twenty years of "cruising" on large, safe, well provisioned vessels with amenities like showers proved to me that large boats often fail to provide the oneness with the sea that many seek. Many of my former boats even came with direct air travel connections to the mainland should an emergency arise.

My first vessel (1971) possessed an interesting biography. She was commissioned in 1944 and within the year while cruising the south pacific was struck by a "divine wind" near vultures row. Irrespective of this oriental religious intervention, I find large "cruisers" fail in meeting my personal vision of ocean travel.

Now, with a new 27 ft deep keel, perhaps I will find the joy that for thousands of years has returned sailors to the sea. :wink:

Captain Papa
USN Retired
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Haze grey and underway

Post by Neil Gordon »

Photo Chief wrote:Twenty years of "cruising" on large, safe, well provisioned vessels with amenities like showers proved to me that large boats often fail to provide the oneness with the sea that many seek.
My first cruiser was a cruiser. On a 715' cruiser, I was a signalman. On my 28' cruiser, I'm that, quartermaster, helmsman, bo'sun, engineman, lookout, electrician's mate, radioman and more. No doubt that smaller boats get you closer, not only to the sea but to the boat. That said, there were lots of good skills to be learned that translate very nicely from large to small.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698