New Honda 5hp 4 stroke Starting Problems - Need Help

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Swiderski

New Honda 5hp 4 stroke Starting Problems - Need Help

Post by Peter Swiderski »

I recently purchased a new Honda 5hp 4 stroke motor. I am having trouble starting the motor and keeping it running. I am located in SW Florida, Today as an example It took 20 -25 pulls to start, when it finally started I let it run for 20-30 sec . and as I would ease the choke in it would stall. Finally I let it run with the choke out for a good 5- 10 min, before I was successful in being able to put the choke in without stalling. The motor ran fine for about 5 min, the length of time it took me to bring my boat out to its mooring. I shut the motor off, secured my boat , transferred the motor to my dingy and it wouldn't start, again. The motor has approx. 3-4 hrs of total running time on her. I brought the motor and the gas tank back to the Honda dealer were I purchased it and they couldn't find any problem with the motor or the tank. It would start in the test tank on the first pull. It seems as if it doesn't start on the first pull it won't start at all and if it happens to start after several attempts it runs rough. I have tried starting it with the choke in various position to no avail. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks
Peter
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

Is it possible that you are flooding it? Don't pump the fuel bulb next time and see what happens. These motors can be very sensitive to too much fuel in the carburetor bowl. If you suspect it is flooded, a good way to remedy it is to take the spark plug out, clean it, pull the engine through a few times and then reinstall the plug. also check the carb. Is it gummed up already? they can be a real pain, but stick with it.
Good luck!
Christian Sava
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

First Pull

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I am knocking on wood as I say this. The only time my Honda four-stroke has failed to start was when the captain failed to open the fuel shutoff.

Did you see it run at the dealers?

Guess I'd better check the kicker before we head out this weekend.....
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
bottomscraper

Tank Vent Open???

Post by bottomscraper »

Having been guilty of forgetting to open the fuel tank vent myself more than once your symptoms sound similar. I guess another possibility is that the fuel vent is plugged or an air leak in the fuel line? How about the fitting where the fuel line attaches to the engine, is it secure?
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Parfait's Provider

Vent too!

Oh yeah, I forgot that I had also forgotten about the tank vent once or twice. Maybe not on the Honda, but....

BTW, if you don't check your tank level very often, there is some chance that that cap will stick and you will have to use some leverage. I have a nice leather strop with a wooden handle that works quite a bit like a filer wrench.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Peter Swiderski

Starting Honda Motor

Post by Peter Swiderski »

The air vent on the gas tank has always been open when trying to start the motor. My procedure is to open the vent , connect the fuel line, open the choke, squeeze the bulb until it is hard, attempt to start the motor, To shut off the motor I disconnect the fuel line and let the motor burn off the residual gas to prevent it from gumming up. I store the motor on its side as recommended by Honda. The only thing I have noticed is a slight gap in the fuel line were it connects to the motor, I have even pulled on the fuel line to make sure that the line is connected.
Thanks,
Peter
Parfait's Provider

Fuel Shutoff?

Is there a fuel shutoff on the 5 HP engine? You didn't mention it in your procedure and I don't see one in the manual, so maybe there isn't one at all with the external tank.

On the 2 HP it is on the stbd side, a small lever with a long throw at the base of the top cover. It is barely noticeable, but I have proven that not using it will cause lots of starting problems.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
tom b

Re: New Honda 5hp 4 stroke Starting INSTRUCTIONS

Post by tom b »

starting your honda 5hp 4stroke from cold start and no gas.

1) DO NOT MIX OIL WITH THE GAS, 4 STROKE ENGINES ARE ONLY RUN WITH GAS NOT LIKE 2 STROKE!!!

2) Open vent on tank.

3) Squeeze priming bulb until bulb seems full.

4) Slowly pull starting cord until you feel pressure on the cord and then let cord retract ( it is a 4 stroke -- the piston has to go up and down twice [ down stroke firing -- up stroke exhaust -- down stroke air and gas mixture -- up stroke compression and the cycle starts all over again ] ( as apposed to a 2 stroke up and down once [ down stroke firing, as piston gets near bottom it is exhausting and up stroke oil and gas mixture and air compress hence 2 stroke motors the cord can be just pulled.

5) Pull choke all the way out.

6) Turn throttle handle to the start position.

7) Pull hard on cord to start [ my wife has trouble starting the honda 5 because she can't pull hard enough on the starting cord and I tell her to get mad with it, it seams to work].

8) Give motor some gas and push choke in to half stage and then all the way in for running position. ( If it doesn't start repeat steps 3 to 8.

If engine is hot or warm try with choke in the half way position or experiment.

GOOD LUCK ENJOY YOUR HONDA THEY ARE FANTASTIC MOTORS

tom -- Wind Chime CD33 #9
Peter Swiderski wrote:I recently purchased a new Honda 5hp 4 stroke motor. I am having trouble starting the motor and keeping it running. I am located in SW Florida, Today as an example It took 20 -25 pulls to start, when it finally started I let it run for 20-30 sec . and as I would ease the choke in it would stall. Finally I let it run with the choke out for a good 5- 10 min, before I was successful in being able to put the choke in without stalling. The motor ran fine for about 5 min, the length of time it took me to bring my boat out to its mooring. I shut the motor off, secured my boat , transferred the motor to my dingy and it wouldn't start, again. The motor has approx. 3-4 hrs of total running time on her. I brought the motor and the gas tank back to the Honda dealer were I purchased it and they couldn't find any problem with the motor or the tank. It would start in the test tank on the first pull. It seems as if it doesn't start on the first pull it won't start at all and if it happens to start after several attempts it runs rough. I have tried starting it with the choke in various position to no avail. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks
Peter

Idle mix screw.

Post by Guest »

Hi:

I have a ancient Chrysler with similar symptoms..... The cure is to adjust the idle mixture screw on the carb. Your Honda is probably running too lean thats why you have the resopnse when you choke it.

THe idle mixture screw adjusts the air quantiy in the idle mix. Similar to the choke.

To do this initially tighten the screw down to the seat very gently so as not to mark the seat. Take careful note of the number of turns so you know the initial setting for reference. Back off the screw slightly less turns than the initial setting. THis should make the mix a little richer. You may have to mess with this several times till you get the thing to idle at all. Once you get it started and running without choke and fairly warm fine tune the screw by doing the following:

Tighten the screw SLOWLY till the motor starts to idle poorly, then back out the screw till the motor again begins to idle poorly. Your setting is in the middle of these points. Slight adjustment may be required after you get the motor full warm and settled in.

I am assuming you have taken all advice from the other posters.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD 30 MKII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Only twice!

Post by DanaVin »

I have a 2004 5 HP Honda, 4-stroke, also. It has never failed to start except for two times. It died once when motoring as I forgot to open the tank valve. When I saw the tank, I laughed as it had been sucked into a really odd shape.)
Both were caused by my accidentally loosening the fuel line connection where it plugs into the motor. My knee must have brushed against the little lever while fueling.
Also, when putting the throttle to START, be sure to tighten the little knob to keep it in that position.
Other than that, it runs great especially after I raised the engine hood about 2" when motoring. The increased air allowed it to breathe and really move while saving me gas.
Great, solid engine.
Dana
http:scGladysErzella.photosite.com
CD25, 1977
San Diego Bay
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Tank non-vent

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I had similar problems with my 2 hp honda 4 stroke. I would open the fuel shutoff and open the vent on the tank and it would be very hard to start or, if it did it would quit in a couple of minutes. It turns out that when you unscrew the vent on the top of the tank the little flapper inside sticks and you do not really have venting. Disassemble it, put it back together and try again. You may be pleased with the results.

Matt
rtbates

fuel starvation

Post by rtbates »

Fuel starvation is the culprit. Indicated by the fact that if yuo cut the air via the chock it'll run. Most likely cause is gum deposits in the fuel delivery system. To fix you either need to take apart the fuel bowel assembly so you can get to the jets or try squirting carb cleaner into the intake tract after you've removed the air filter. This problem occurs in 90% of the cases of samll outboards not starting and/or running w/o chocking. By the way after you finish using the motor be sure to disconnect or shut off the fuel supply and let it run it it dies. This will usually remove enough of the fuel in the motor to prevent gum from forming. It's formed when gasoline is allowed to slowly evaporate. Especially when it's done repeatedly as in using an outboard for the weekend and turning it off and going home for a week or so and coming back and repeating.

good luck

Randy 25D Seraph #161

PS keep a can of carb cleaner on board
Al Levesque

Re: Tank non-vent

Post by Al Levesque »

Matt Cawthorne wrote:.....when you unscrew the vent on the top of the tank the little flapper inside sticks and you do not really have venting....

Matt
We bought a 15 hp 4 stroke earlier this year and have enjoyed it. We did note that the tank did not always seem vented even though the screw was loose. Thanks for the explanation. Al