Storm prep for 50 knot winds, on a mooring

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Storm prep for 50 knot winds, on a mooring

Post by mahalocd36 »

Just curious what would you do to your boat if a tropical storm was headed your way with forecast 50 knot winds. You are on a mooring. There's not a good place to move the boat to...you are stuck there.

Take the sails off? Or just Leave them on with wraps?

We took Mahalo's sails/dodger/bimini off this past weekend as Ophelia remnants supposed to hit. It ended up being a big nothing. We were one of only maybe 5 boats in the harbor that did so. (BTW, 3 of the 5 were CDs).

So are CDers just more anxious/paranoid? Next time, do we bother? Other people in the boat yard sympathized with us on Sunday saying, we'll you were better safe than sorry, but most people didn't do anything. It turned out it didn't matter (Quote from launch driver:" Yeah it must have gusted up to 15 in here yesterday ;-) "
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Storm prep for 50 knot winds, on a mooring

Post by Neil Gordon »

mahalocd36 wrote:Just curious what would you do to your boat if a tropical storm was headed your way with forecast 50 knot winds. You are on a mooring. There's not a good place to move the boat to...you are stuck there.
Anti-chafe and/or double up the mooring line would be my first choice. If you break away from the mooring, that's a bad thing.

Less windage is always better. So sails, dodger, etc., is safer off than on. If you want to go to extremes, you'll replace your running rigging with clothesline or whatever so the storm doesn't thrash your good halyards, etc.

That said, 50 knots or so of wind is far from hurricane strength. So all the stuff you take off would probably do just fine if you left it on. Problem is, taking off and putting on is just a bit of extra effort. Not taking off and having stuff blown away is worse. One added piect of advice. If you lose the boat altogether, the insurance company will probably just give you a check for the face amount of the policy, as happened to a friend of mine. They never asked about sails, electronics, etc., and whether they were on board or in his garage.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

mahalocd36 wrote:We took Mahalo's sails/dodger/bimini off this past weekend as Ophelia remnants supposed to hit. It ended up being a big nothing. We were one of only maybe 5 boats in the harbor that did so."
If it makes you feel any better Rich, I took my sails off even though the tropical storm warning stopped next door at Plymouth. Lots of people here pulled their boats, but most larger boats stayed in. Of the ones that stayed in, I think I was the only one who removed sails. We ended up with no wind here either.

I just noticed that, if there is another named storm this year, it will be Stan. Here's hoping the one that has my name on it doesn't turn out to be "the one that has my name on it."
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

the last hurricane i was in, i anchor out in galveston bay with three anchors and 20 to 1 out and removed all the sails and top and prayed that it would stay their... to my surprise it did stay there...
winthrop

mahalocd36 wrote:Just curious what would you do to your boat if a tropical storm was headed your way with forecast 50 knot winds. You are on a mooring. There's not a good place to move the boat to...you are stuck there.

We took Mahalo's sails/dodger/bimini off this past weekend as Ophelia remnants supposed to hit. It ended up being a big nothing. We were one of only maybe 5 boats in the harbor that did so. (BTW, 3 of the 5 were CDs).

So are CDers just more anxious/paranoid? Next time, do we bother? Other people in the boat yard sympathized with us on Sunday saying, we'll you were better safe than sorry, but most people didn't do anything. It turned out it didn't matter (Quote from launch driver:" Yeah it must have gusted up to 15 in here yesterday ;-) "
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

rtbates

STRIP everything that ain't bolted down!

Post by rtbates »

Absolutely take every piece of canvas off. You need to reduce windage to the least amount possible. Take the dodger and bimini frames off. Better to strip off canvas 100 times for nothing than to leave them on once when they should have been taken off. Don't pay any attention to what others do. It's your boat and you need to do what you feel is prudent. CDers are obviously smarter than most.
Prepare for the worse and hope for the best
Best of luck.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: STRIP everything that ain't bolted down!

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote: Don't pay any attention to what others do.
Or maybe stated differently, pay attention to anyone who is seemingly more prudent/cautious than you are, but not vice versa. (Decide for yourself, but pay attention!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Tropical Storm RITA

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Here we go again! I spent from 8 am to 3 pm at the marina getting Bandolera ready for another blow. Katrina came around here last month. We had gusts of 92 mph at the marina. I had removed bimini and dodger, had double storm lines on all my cleats and spring lines ( 5/8" 3strand Premium Nylon).

I had also upgraded my deck hardware and added big locking chocks on the stern, port and stbd. plus a second stern cleat, port and stbd. So there are 4 good cleats on my stern and the same at the bow. Two on each side. Also added those Schaeffer marine SS cleats that go on the genoa tracks, midship, one on each side. So hopefully, Bandolera will stay put at her slip.

Rita is still a tropical storm but expected to be a Cat 1 Hurricane by the time she gets closer to Miami, from 10 am tomorrow Tuesday and continue blowing all day. We are praying she stays to the south of us. Bandolera is more or less ready, but with Katrina we had 14 boats with damage at the marina. 7 boats on the moorings let go and crashed against the first line of boats on the slips! Several sunk! Many had their genoas trashed. Bando came through with absolutely no damage. Let's see if we can get a repeat with Rita. I did tie up my mainsail at the boom. Genoa on rollerfurler is also wrapped tight and secured with extra lines. Anchor put away. But this time the wind is coming from a more dangerous side. We hope for the best.
Zeida
Clay Stalker

Hurricane (not) Ophelia

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Rich and Melissa:

Folks in Bristol didn't seem to get very worked up about it, but I did go down to Yankee Lady and do a few things. Took the dodger off, wrapped some ties around the mainsail cover, wrapped the furled headsails a bit more, and put some additional chafe gear on the mooring...most others in the harbor did these things and little else, most did nothing. I think it was the 50 knot prediction....not a real big deal, but a concern.

Clay Stalkert
Andy Denmark

Oriental and Ophelia - lots of adieu about not much

Post by Andy Denmark »

I was in Seattle during Ophelia but made some preparations prior to leaving just in case. When the strike became imminent, Ron Turner, my neighbor, further secured the three boats at my pier. Thanks to these efforts, damage was minimal, consisting mostly of some minor pier damage due to the days-long easterly that blew along the mile-long fetch up Broad Creek (breaking waves). I think the highest wind velocities recorded locally were in the 60+ mph range.

Oriental is ground zero for many east coast hurricanes and most sailors here know how to deal with them as a matter of (almost) routine. By far, the boats that suffer the most hull damage are the ones that remain in their slips instead of anchoring out. Most damage occurs to sails that are left topsides, especially furling headsails. It matters not whether these are "secured" by wrapping sheets or lines around them as the top two-thirds are still destroyed. In checking around the local marinas after Ophelia there were several boats at each where the furling sails were in shreds. While it's a bit of a bother, take the furling sails down first before the wind gets up too high. The shock loads on chainplates, standing rigging, and mast steps often causes serious damage so it's not the sail alone that suffers as it destroys itself.

As for anchoring, two substantial anchors are sufficient if you have decent chafing gear that you know works. I personally think secret to successful anchoring is an ample amount of heavy chain. It is the sheer weight of the chain, not the tensile strength, that matters here. On Rhiannon I use a 22 lb Bruce on 100 feet of 3/8" chain (with a 3/4" nylon snubber -- moused), and a 12-lb Danforth with 30 ft of 3/8" chain and 100 feet of 5/8" nylon rode. I equalize the lengths of both rodes so they work together most of the time (approx. 100 ft out in 7 ft depth). Neither has ever dragged (I hope Murphy isn't listening). Deploying the anchors properly is the important to their holding. Many people are too quick to back down on the anchor before it can get a proper grip on the bottom. Others foul their anchor by piling the chain on top of it in their haste to get ground tackle deployed. Before getting the Bruce I used two 12 lb Danforths rigged as above and never dragged during any hurricane since 1982, two of which I stayed aboard for the duration (Gloria in 1985 - 130 mph, and Gordon in 1994 - 90+ mph).

Despite my own admonition to anchor out, all three boats at my pier were in their respective slips. I was simply too far away to do anything differently. Ron and I use a nicely engineered dockline system that effectively eliminates chafe and these work very well, keeping the boats safely secured in their slips during extreme water depth excursions. I would only stay in a slip during a minor blow like Ophelia, though.

Most of my worries come from the other boats anchoring around me. As I write there's a 40 ft Tayana ketch in the woods down the creek from my home and I understand there are a few more boats onshore (read high and dry) around this area. If an oyster crusher like this blows down on you at the height of a storm then it's probably good bye boat unless the loose boat doesn't foul on anything and continues along its way.

So, here's watching Rita and hoping the mayor of NO and the governor of LA somehow develop some common sense while it's heading their way. They sure haven't shown much to date.
________
Qt50
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Andy,

I'm tickled that Rhiannon weathered yet another blow virtually unscathed!

You mentioned that dropping the furling headsail might be a bother. I have to tell you that the other day I had reason to remove my 140% genoa from the Furlex aboard Sine Qua Non. The sail dropped almost as if it was a simple hanked on sail. It came right down and was no bother at all. And it goes back up almost as quickly. So there is no reason not to play it safe if a blow is forecast. I just take it off and temporarily stuff it thru the forward hatch and down into the vee berth. Easy down! Easy up! :wink:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)