A Little Bit of a Blow Here!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtbates

glad to hear

Post by rtbates »

Good news indeed to hear that your NC CDs came through OK

randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: midshhip cleat

Post by Neil Gordon »

slaume wrote:What about those nifty cleats that slip onto your genoa track?
I have one and find it quite handy. Most common uses:

Handy tie off to keep the dinghy alongside when on a mooring.

In the slip, to hold an extra spring line. (Doubling two lines to the same cleat doesn't help if the cleat fails... keeping the boat from surging forward is critical considering I'm bow in with the prevailing storm wind on the port quarter.)

As a handy way to keep the boat still with only the one spring in place... from the aftermost cleat on the dock to the mid-ships cleat ( adjusted further aft on the track, actually) a little forward is all it takes.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
chase

damage, but not sure how much

Post by chase »

My boat apparently got worked on a piling on the starboard side for hours. Not sure scope of damage, will go down this weekend --thank goodness I don't have any farming to do. She's still floating though. I'm hoping for the best -- gelcoat damage and rub/toe rail carnage. I'm concerned about the deck/hull joint.

Being six hours away is sub-optimal.

I'm glad everyone else is ok. Maybe mine's not as bad as I thought. I really saw this exact situation coming and should have done more on the port side to hold her against the northeast blow.

Chase
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

hurricane Ophelia

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

I've been watching the storm that does not want to move away, battering the coasts of the Carolinas. My prayers to all of you Cape Dorians over there. We faced the same situation here in Miami during Katrina's initial run, but fortunately she left us rather soon. Ophelia is being stubborn. I hope this does not cause added suffering and excess damage.

Good luck to all.
Zeida