Back from the paint shop!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Back from the paint shop!

Post by Dave Brandt »

I brought the Prairie home from the paint shop today! Very satisfied with the work. We used PPG Delfleet, a two part polyurethane. I have to paint the boot top stripe and the non white non skids, but that should finish the painting part of the project. Looking forward to putting the parts back together.

Dave

The latest photos are at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debhgxc/album?.dir=c15e
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Everyone should check this out!

Post by Michael Abramson »

Dave,
Looks like you have done as comprehensive a rebuild as I've ever seen. Beautiful workmanship and lots of great ideas implemented. Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing the final photos when you are ready to launch. Super job!
Michael
Frank Vernet

Concur w/ Michael

Post by Frank Vernet »

A tremendous job so far. The color you chose for the hull is spectacular...perhaps not tradionally CD, but spectacular nonetheless. She's going to be a real head-turner when done. Keep up the effort....the end must be in sight.

r/

Frank
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Dick Barthel

Spectacular! n/m

Post by Dick Barthel »

:D
Osprey

paint work

Post by Osprey »

Dave,
Who did the paint work? I have a Typhoon in Idaho - bringing it back to Minneapolis for restoration this winter. I would be interested in talking with your shop

Thanks,
Tom
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Paint Shop

Post by Dave Brandt »

Hi Tom,

The shop is Schoenmann Boat Works here in Rochester. Mark Schoenmann is the owner, super nice guy, his phone number is 507-281-0110.

My boat is coming along, almost all the teak is back on. I am hopping to get it in the water by the end of the month ( also the end of the sailing season............)

Dave
robert brown
Beverly, Ma.

nice job

Post by robert brown »

I have been thinking about painting my Typhoon hull. Maybe dark blue, dark green, I know it is not Cape Dory colors, but think it could be fun. My bud just painted the hull on his mid 1970's Cheoy Lee 42' cutter ketch. it was originally white, then navy blue and he did the blue again.... what an eye catcher, people taking pics of the boat all the time. when you fly into a harbor at sunset under 4 sails... well you all know what thats all about. anyway my little boat might be a different color on her mooring next year.. He did it himself and saved thousands, many thousands.

What do you think about changing colors on a TY, Not quite as involved as changing names...lol ...
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CHANGING COLORS ON A TY

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Robert

There are a lot of tradionalists who own CDs. As you are probably aware of, to them the hull should be white. I have no problem in the slightest with that. However, I am not a tradionalist by a long shot. I only marched in lockstep when I had to, a long time ago.

Through the years, I have owned several Tys. All of them, except two, had a white hull. These Tys were mostly fixerups and then sold.
There is one Ty that I have owned through the years that I have always considered my baby. It's an oldie but goodie, built in the first year of Ty production I think, 1969.

For about ten years or more the hull has been painted Sea Foam green, a light pastel color between Kelly Green and white, more closer to white.

Many times through the years people have asked me why I painted it that color. The answer is simply that I like that color.

Dare to be different.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: nice job

Post by Neil Gordon »

robert brown wrote:I have been thinking about painting my Typhoon hull. Maybe dark blue, dark green, I know it is not Cape Dory colors, but think it could be fun.
If we elected you President, would you paint the White House dark blue or dark green?

Ok, seriously, it's what OJ said... there are traditionalists who travel the earth searching for the original bottom paint and boot stripe color. And there are those who see their boats as an original canvas. Unless your Ty is the last one and is headed for the Smithsonian, decide for yourself which end of the spectrum works best for you.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
slaume

I liked that color

Post by slaume »

"I liked that color", well why else would you paint a boat any color! That reminds me of an old guy from Maine out on a hike in northern Vermont with a bunch of people. Everyone stopped at a very large ash tree in the forest along a stone wall. Well after idenifing the tree as an ash the hike leader asked him how he knew it was an ash. "Well cause it's mother was an ash", was his reply. It is real hard to argue with this kind of logic. The red boat is gorgous and it is always a joy to find someone who knows what they like, Steve.
Didereaux

David...a question....

Post by Didereaux »

For some inexplicable reason I am still not comprehending your motor mount modification. How is it mounted? Where, and what is the tube extending from it used for?

I can see in the pix clearly all the main well cut-outs and such, it's just that for the life on me I cannot seem to fathom that mount! ;)

Could you post a pic or two showing in place?

thanks

oh yeah, about that color, it's your d**n boat paint it any color you want...mine will eventually be British Racing Green ... so take that all you 'traditionalists! LOL
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Motor Mounts & Colors.........

Post by Dave Brandt »

I will post some photos of the motor when it's in place, perhaps next week.

The whole motor mount thing started when I was doing some research into what would be a good replacement for the old two stroke. I wanted something that was a four stroke and had an alternator. I had heard nothing but good things about the Honda's and at that time ( 2 1/2 years ago ) there were some postings on the Board that said they fit. Evidently Honda changed the design of the 8hp at sometime after those postings. When I finally got around to buying the motor and dropping it in, well it really was not even close to fitting. The motor had been a special order from the local Honda dealer, so it would have been awkward to return it, and I still really liked the idea of having a Honda. After much ruminating on the problem I decided to see if I could make it work. The mount that came with the motor is massive, so I built a compact replacement for it that slides over the same shaft on the motor. That solved most of the problems, but the clearance on the back of the motor was still too close. so I enlarged the aft end of the lazarette. Now it fits great. This is not something I would do again. If the question comes up again, an 8hp Honda doesn't fit in a 1976 CD-25!!

Colors....
One of the things about Cape Dory's that appeal so much to me is the traditional look of them. I think the lines are so elegant. When I am walking around the marinas, it's the Cape Dory's and similar boats that always catch my eye.

With that nod to the traditionalists, I am not a big fan of CD brown. This has something to due with a slight color blindness that I have, some colors of brown and green look like a muddy grey yuck to me.
Red is a color that I can see and I like it. I think of red as a welcoming color, the front door of my house is the same color of red.

Dave
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Motor Mount Photos

Post by Dave Brandt »

Didereaux,

I posted some photos of the motor in the boat and the bow roller.

Dave

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debhgxc/album?.dir=c15e
Didereaux

ahhhh, NOW I see it! ...

Post by Didereaux »

Okay, that cleared up the 'mystery'. Nice job on the anchor roller adapter too!

thanks for the pix, btw
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Dick Villamil

paint shop

Post by Dick Villamil »

Beautiful looking boat! I painted one of my boats dark blue - striking with a lot of comments. Then I started to spend time inside it while cruising and realized how hot it was when the sun was on it. Never again will I have a dark colored boat! I painted my Ty Pettit Off White with Sand non-skid. She never heats up (and in a Ty there is not too much ventiation so keeping her cool is the best thing to do). Dark colors also tend to fade more - which means that touchup paint shows more readily. Also scratches and dings show up more readily. She might look fine the first year or two - but when the fitrst scratches happen - you will wish for a lighter color!