Puget Sound sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Marianna Max

Puget Sound sailing

Post by Marianna Max »

I've been to Puget sound but never sailed there. What's it like? Do we have any sailors from out that way?
rtbates

take a wet suit

Post by rtbates »

It's a beautiful big body of very cold water. I'd advise getting a wet suit in case you need to go in the water for what ever reason. But I'll add that I'm from the gulf where the water is more akin to bath water and as such I use a shorty to dive in 78 degree water. Anything below 70 requires I wear a full wet suit. I'm also a light weight, physically and metaphorically.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: take a wet suit

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote:It's a beautiful big body of very cold water.
There's pretty good sailing in Maine, where the water temp doesn't get above the 50's or so. Is it colder than that?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dana Sewall
Portland, OR

Pudget Sound

Post by Dana Sewall »

Marianna,

I have sailed some of the Sound but please realize that it is a very large place. I call it God's gift to inshore sailors due to it's wildlife and shear beauty. For details about the Sound I suggest you contact Ben Thomas on this list or go to Sailjazz.com and click on the Pacific Northwest list. The folks on the PNW list sail all types of boats and they both live and sail in and around the Sound. I find them to be very helpful and knowledgeable.
rtbates

Neil

Post by rtbates »

50 is pretty darn cold. But I don't know exactly how cold Puget Sounds is. I stuck my foot in ONCE and that was plenty. You see I thought the water wasn't too cold because I could see kids playing in the water! Yea right. Do you ever concern yourself with unintentionally being forced into the water? If I sailed those waters I'd have my dry suit within reach at all times! I've heard that the Navy says a person has a 50-50 chance of surviving in 50 degree water for 50 minutes. I have ZERO chance to survive for 1 minute! Years ago while camping in the Canadian Rockies I could barely jump in a stream and shoot immediately out, soap up, jump back in and out.

Do you swim in those chilly waters?

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Neil

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote:50 is pretty darn cold. Do you swim in those chilly waters?
On a schooner cruise about 10 years ago, we had a morning "swim club." Stand on the rail, dive into 50 degree water, do one lap* and get back on board.

* One lap - the shortest distance from where you dove in and back to the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
chasn_sunset
CD25 #484
Poulsbo, WA

Puget Sound Sailing

Post by chasn_sunset »

Ok I don't know about wetsuits and all that. It is not the Barents Sea for crying out loud! (if you keep yourself in the boat you won't ever need one...) The sailing here is some of the best you'll experience anywhere. I've sailed my CD25 a lot of places up here and in shorts and a t-shirt too!
There are few places elsewhere you can anchor in a quite bay with eagles soaring overhead, orcas broaching and otters swimming around you. You have to dodge the occasional ferry but otherwise it's great. Hey no freak'n nor'easters, hurricanes or rogue waves. We do have those pesky volcanos, but every couple hundred thousands years or so.... But, you guys wouldn't want to come up here, with that cold water and all..... :wink:
Dan P.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Puget Sound sailing

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi...

my wife and my self sailed there ever other year and we go up to friday harbor, its the best sailing, i think in the west coast.

two years ago we went from coos bay OR to friday harbor WA,
thats was the best trip we had in a long time, we had are cd22 with us, we took two weeks, but we did get good whether most of the time.

any one that can sail will enjoy it, but it can get pretty bad up there so be carefully, and make sure you have a map.

ever one that has been there falls in love with the place, its beautiful up there and there is so much to do, we stay out from 8 am to 10 or 11 pm.

we have land up there and we are retiring up there as well.
you will love the place.
the sailing is the best,
and have fun lots of fun.
winthrop

Marianna Max wrote:I've been to Puget sound but never sailed there. What's it like? Do we have any sailors from out that way?
Rperlot

Awsome!

Post by Rperlot »

Tons of sailors out this way. Currents are important to watch. Hugely important if you are sailing in the North end of the Sound and up into the San Juan and Gulf Islands. It can get you there at 12 knots, or keep you in the marina, depending on the tide.

Year round sailing, if you aren't afraid of raingear. Tons of anchorages. You get to choose from state parks, unhabited islands, Guilded Age resorts, metropolitan Cities.

Wind is good most of the year but is sparse in late summer. Count on motoring if you try to do boating in late July to early Sept.

I call Eagle Harbor my home. Just a ferry ride from Seattle on the East side of the sound. Let me know if you have any specific float plans.
Rperlot

Awsome!

Post by Rperlot »

Tons of sailors out this way. Currents are important to watch. Hugely important if you are sailing in the North end of the Sound and up into the San Juan and Gulf Islands. It can get you there at 12 knots, or keep you in the marina, depending on the tide.

Year round sailing, if you aren't afraid of raingear. Tons of anchorages. You get to choose from state parks, unhabited islands, Guilded Age resorts, metropolitan Cities.

Wind is good most of the year but is sparse in late summer. Count on motoring if you try to do boating in late July to early Sept.

I call Eagle Harbor my home. Just a ferry ride from Seattle on the East side of the sound. Let me know if you have any specific float plans.