Desperately searching for a name!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

MighTy Mouse, he flew
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

Bill,
I was shown that quote some years ago, as a young fledgling aviator. Powerful words. He was only in his early 20's too when he died I believe. Keep the ideas coming! Everyone is providing me with a lot of good ideas, and I really appreciate it. I think I might be getting close!

Thanks again everyone!
Christian Sava
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Re: Name For A Ty

Post by neil »

Oswego John wrote:Christian,

Sailing : Sea

Flying : Eagle

ergo

Sea Eagle (another name for a sea eagle is) TERN. Voila!

Happy sailing
O J
That (sadly) is the name of one of the worst dive boats here in the keys... they dump dozons of ignorant slobs in scuba gear onto the reef who leave a trail of distruction that will take thousands of years to heal.

Sorry, Im not helping.... I will shut up now....
}=-(-_-)-={
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Desperately searching for a name!

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Christian.... :)

that is hard for any one to give you a name for your boat.

what i all was do is sail the boat until the name comes to me.

when i restored my typhoon and the first time i went sailing by my self to try ever thing out to make sure ever thing work, and right.

and as i was crossing clear lake to go to the gulf and i was heading in to three foot waves and 25 knots winds, and lessening to the radio and after about half an hour of sailing, it came to me.

EASY RIDER because she sailed just fine and going with the wind in her teeth, she took the waves just fine.

thats when i found out that boat took it any thing and all was took me home ever time in any condishsions.

so i would not give you any names.

you need to find your own in do time as you go sailing.

it will come to you.

winthrop

Christian Sava wrote:I humbly turn to you loyal, intelligent and articulate posters to please help me name my new typhoon. She is a lovely little creature with a name I have no use for. It neither speaks to her or her new owner (me). She is a 1973 which currently sits on her mooring in newburyport, MA. I'm thinking I want something that mentions my passion and profession. Sailing and flying. I don't think I am ready to name her after my wife or two children. though. I know this should be a very personal decision and in the end it will be, but I am really drawing a blank on what speaks to her personality. Any and all ideas will be given consideration. Although I am not able to offer a prize to the one who steers me in the right direction, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you helped match a TY with her personality.

Thanks in advance!
eghaley

Don't be in a hurry

Post by eghaley »

Why don't you wait a while to get to know your Typhoon? Then a name will come to you for sure. You get to know her personally and a name will pop right out.

For instance, I had a 17' MFG Bandit that always drew blood from me (just a nick) when I launched her using the yacht club's lift. I named her 'Gotcha.'

I had a 17' DaySailer that used to romp over the waves like a horse. I named her 'Wild Horses.'

Naming a boat should come from a perspective of the owner. And don't forget to perform the naming ceremony according to Vigor. :wink:
roryhammond

Naming your boat

Post by roryhammond »

AOG Aicraft on Ground
T.

Post by T. »

Naming a boat should come from a perspective of the owner. And don't forget to perform the naming ceremony according to Vigor.
Having researched this custom extensively through the search function of this wonderful site, I find need to ask (hoping Mr. Vigor is around to answer) . . . as a descendant of the furore Nordmanni, may I reasonably substitute Njord, Aegir, and Ran for those Greek and Roman deities? :D

T.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

T. wrote:. . . as a descendant of the furore Nordmanni, may I reasonably substitute Njord, Aegir, and Ran for those Greek and Roman deities?
While I hesitate to tell you that it's done without risk, I'll also say that I'm of the opinion that sincerity supplants detail in any renaming ceremony.

Most important to me is that a boat carry a name that she likes. Badly named boats have been known to sink.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Thanks~

Post by Thanks~ »

That's good advice indeed.

And, aaah, trust me . . . it'd be quite sincere. And then some. I'm a little beyond proud of my ancestral heritage! :D

T.
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

"Little Wing"

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

See Hendrix, Jimi, also Derek & the Dominoes, and Vaughn, Stevie Ray.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

CD32#2 likes the name Loonsong. The Loon can only fly or swim; it cannot walk on land. So how about "Loon?"
wlimbo

name

Post by wlimbo »

try Cloud Chaser