Double Headsail Sloop

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leo CD33

Double Headsail Sloop

Post by Leo CD33 »

Hi All,

I’m considering installing an ‘Inner Forestay’ on Evening Light (1981 CD33 sloop No. 38) to support a storm headsail (or possibly a sublime ‘cutter envy’.)

The new stay will be attached at the mast ~ 1/2 the distance between the spreaders and the masthead (a welded fitting is currently installed w/ a pair of tangs thru-bolted.)
The bottom of the stay will be detachable with a pelican hook fitting and anchored on deck (when in use) with a substantial chainplate bolted to the anchor rode locker aft bulkhead (aka v-berth forward bulkhead.)

The common method of support for the mast in this area would be running backstays or after intermediate shrouds (as used on the CD31C, 32C, 33C, and 36C, and possibly the 40s.) The top of which ever would be attached to the currently installed tangs mentioned above. The lower end would depend on which of the two support options were installed.

Has anyone done (or have knowledge of) this conversion to a Cape Dory sloop?

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Evening Light CD33 No.38
Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Inner Forestay

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Leo,

I have never done this or have any personal knowledge or experience as to how this might be accomplished other than the method that you have proposed.

However, you have piqued my interest in your project. While thinking about what you propose to do, a question came to mind.

You mention that you will attach the lower end of the stay to a chainplate deck anchor with a pelican hook How do you foresee making this new stay become taut?

Will you use a quick release forestay lever, something like a load binder? Will it be necessary to include a turnbuckle?

Just curious and interested.
Good luck
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Retrofitting a CD with a double headsail rig

Post by Carter Brey »

Hi, Leo--

I've seen it done, twice. There was a CD26D for sale not long ago that had been rigged this way. It was the only one that I've seen with a bow sprit, as well. I recall seeing a headsail furler on each stay. It's since been sold, so I can't give you any more specific information.

On this board, perhaps a year ago, someone advertised a CD27 with a double headsail rig. The posting described it as a cutter, but I can't see how it could have been anything but a double headsail rig, unless the owner had been so unhappy with it that he had moved the mast aft. I'm sure an archive search will turn it up.

Best regards,
Carter
(In Frankfurt, Germany, wo der Himmel blau den ganzen Tag ist... apologies to Mitch Bober!)
Tom Keevil

storm jib on cd33

Post by Tom Keevil »

Our boat came with a storm jib that has an internal stay on the luff. It is a tall, skinny sail. There is a carabiner-type shackle on the tack that clips onto a padeye. The padeye is in the deck above the anchor well bulkhead. It is raised on a spinnaker halyard, and the sheets are run through blocks on the inner track. This moves the sail aft, but does not require additional backstays, as it is still at the masthead. It is not useful as a staysail, but only as a storm jib. You can only get it as tight as you can winch the halyard, but it seems to work ok.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

A varient

Post by SeaBelle »

I have no personal experience BUT FWIW.

Consider a Solent Stay. A Solent Stay is an inner-forestay variation where the inner-stay is attached to the mast very near the main forestay fitting. In this arrangement the existing backstay provides the support for both the main and inner forestays, eliminating the need for runners.

Let's be clear about this. It is NOT a cutter. The deck attachment is just aft of the forestay (just enough to clear the furler) and the mast attachment is a foot or less below the top. The deck fitting is as you describe.

You fly a headsail EITHER on the forestay OR inner forestay (you may be able to run with twin head sails wing and wing). The advantage if this is that you can rig the inner forestay, hank on a sail (probably a storm jib but perhaps a working jib, or other), furl the genny, and hoist the jib - Without the need for or nuisance of running backstays - and easier than changing a roller furling sail. Also a great backup for a roller jammer.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Leo CD33

Inner Forestay CD33

Post by Leo CD33 »

Hi All,

OJ - Not sure of the correct name but the latching ‘pelican hook/quick release lever’ had a camming ability and an adjustment – first seen on Peter v.d.Kam’ Caliber 40 LRC “Patagon”, used for her removable inner forestay. (Peter – What is it called??)
BTW; I have an older Harken furler system that have worn balls in both upper and lower swivel races - will be replaced when the rig comes down!
The motivation for all this is a planned offshore sail to Halifax, NS, next July - always been interested in offshore sailing and I may have a window next summer. Since Aug. 1996 I’ve been reading almost everything to do with sailing keelboats - coastal and offshore. Moving the storm jib closer to the center of effort has almost always been addressed, as well as the ease (relative, of course) of getting the Genny furled / down and deploying the storm jib. Hence the ‘Inner Forestay’ project - to be able to deploy a storm or heavy weather jib without the ‘circus’ / ‘fire drill’ involved with taking the Genny of the luff grove in heavy weather.

Carter - This rig will be a double headsail sloop – period. With Evening Light’s stemhead fitting a bowsprit would be quite a problem – do not intend to go there.

Tom - E.L.'s tack will be in the same area, but we plan on carrying the load down to the bulkhead and the hull more. The deck side padeye sounds like a good idea, I even though of ordering a Spartan fitting (one of the shroud or backstay deck fittings.)

Tom, Jack - The Rigger did mention an inner forestay having the mast attachment very near the masthead. Do not recall if he gave it a name, but that arrangement is in the mix also. “Solent” sounds good - I’ll mention it and he MAY get the idea I know what I’m talking about :wink: thanks.

Jack - You described my reasoning and planned usage very well.

Thanks All, your thoughts and observations are appreciated.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Fair Winds,
Leo
mgphl52

Detachable inner stay - the "pictures"

Post by mgphl52 »

KAYLA came with exactly this arrangement, installed by an excellently skilled boatwright/previous-owner. We have used it for a storm sail with the original working jib and we also have very light weight 155 that we can raise and lower in combination with the furling 135 genoa. In fact, a few weeks ago, we "peeled" headsails at least 5~6 times during a very light-air double-handed race (can you say: "dead calm...oops, here's the sea breeze...dead calm..."). The links below are of the attachment between windlass & furler and at the (nearly) masthead. And, Yes! the bronze pelican clip is levered for tensioning and has a turnbuckle for adjusting.

PS: While KAYLA did get "kicked out" of her slip for Katrina, she rode it out just as well as she did for Dennis. She got some "company" that was too close for her liking (one was a commercial fishing boat drug anchor over 1/2 a mile!) but nothing hit her. Now she's back in her slip patiently awaiting Toni and me coming down to sail this afternoon.

PPS: Updated image links, 14-Nov-2006 -michael
Last edited by mgphl52 on Nov 14th, '06, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Mike Thorpe

Inner forestay

Post by Mike Thorpe »

Leo,

The name of the lever that you were asking about is a Highfield lever.

I've read your post about adding an inner forestay for flying a storm jib. Seems to me that if all you want the inner forestay for is to fly a storm jib than a Gale Sail might be a cheaper, easier option. It's a storm jib designed to fit over a furled genoa. You wouldn't need the 2nd headstay or intermediate back stays, running or fixed.

Mike Thorpe
s/v Adagio a brand "X" boat

I believe the Gale Sail is an ATN product.
Bill Goldsmith

Running Backstays/Aft Intermediate Shrouds??

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Leo,

Loonsong has the factory installed "faux-cutter" double headsail rig with the forestay out on the bowsprit. When the wind pipes up over about 18 or so I put a reef in the main and fly a staysail on the inner and she settles in beautifully when all the other 30-ish sloops are heading for the harbor.

I am perplexed by the differences of opinion on the support for such a stay. Loonsong has "fixed" aft intermediate shrouds attaching to Spartan padeyes. I put "fixed" in quotes because the lower 3 feet of the shrouds are blocks and tackle a la running backstays, however there is no additional set of padeyes aft to attach to. Loonsong has the cast bronze stanchion bases which seem pretty strong but hesitate to use them for the runners.

Moreover, I have seen other CDs that have the aft intermediate shrouds truly fixed to the extra padeyes with turnbuckes. The padeyes are so close to the aft lowers that they really don't interfere on a downwind leg because Loonsong is faster tacking downwind anyhow as opposed to a dead run. I have thought about replacing the blocks and tackle with turnbuckles, but decided to leave well enough alone--why add extra compession on a deck-stepped rig when the aft intermediates can be tightened only as and when needed?

I had posted a question about this issue on the Brion Toss Spartalk forum a couple of years ago--Brion poo-pooed the aft- intermediate setup, stating that running backstays are needed to counter the inner forestay at or about the same angle aft that the inner forestay makes going forward. He advocated adding padeyes further aft. I have come to give that opinion little weight, mostly due to the oversized spars spec'ed by Carl Alberg on Cape Dorys. Heck, the 30"C" doesn' t even have any afts or runners. And I have never seen any mast pumping when using the staysail.

So if you decide on the inner forestay, I would stick with the Alberg-designed location for aft intermediates.
Dana Sewall
Portland, OR

Baby Stays

Post by Dana Sewall »

Leo,

My CD30 is also rigged like Kayla and the system works great. I wanted to fly a 130% genny on my forward headstay with furler, so to improve tacking ability I installed a tensionable quick release on the baby stay. Like Kayla it provides me with many sail options. Reference http://www.abimarine.com "sailboat hardware" in their catalogue for the type adjuster Kayla and I are using.

Also, reference Crusing World in the last six months for an article on building solent stays by Brian Toss.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Leo,

I am very interested in your project as I would like to do this as well. Having CD33 #77 with just a big genny and a spinnaker, I would like a higher wind option for the headsail. We did just fine in 30 knots upwind on the May Superior delivery this year, the boat leaped over the waves, but a proper rig is preferred. The galesail has had some good reviews and I am curious, but to me the right thing to do is what you are contemplating.

If your boat is like mine, you have the short inner jib tracks near the cabin house for sheet blocks which should work fine. So my questions would be tack fitting placement, upper mast tang location and then padeye placement for the running backstays.

Additionally, could those ABI folding padeyes be strong enough for the aft deck fitting? It would be slick to have them flat when not in use, which would be most of the time. Have you come up with a working load for all the fittings? If so, what is it.

Alternately, I thought I could run the supports back to the aft cleats when needed. Anyway, please keep us posted on your project and how she sails with the new rig. I won't get to this for a few years now. But I can't stand trying to heave too with a big genny rooled up and the sheet on the foward lower! Ouch! Off to sail back across the Lake tomorrow, looks like it will be upwind again. I guess that's good, still have no pole for the asymetric or the genny!

Paul
Leo CD33

Double Headsail Sloop

Post by Leo CD33 »

Hi All,

Mike, Thanks for the info on “Highfield Lever” – got it :) The ABI P/N is 191244 (for ¼ in. wire).
At the Caribbean 1500 / West Marine seminar we went to in ~Mar 2003 the rigger told use of his crew having difficulty deploying the ‘Gale Sail’ in rough weather – subsequently recommending against it. Also if the %^&* furler fails I can set the storm jib on the inner stay.

Bill, Initially had the same preference for the ‘After Intermediate Shrouds’, however, both my local Rigger, Jeff Morgan, and Jim of RIGGING ONLY recommend against it. Jim saying that of all the pressure on the shroud, you would exert much more compression force on the mast then support for the inner stay.

Dana, Thanks for the ABI website – logged on and talked a little with the customer service rep., still need info on the strength although it appears they have it.

Paul, ABI currently does not have a ‘Folding Padeye’. The current plan (always open to revision) is to use Hi-Tech line (rope, not wire) for the ‘running backstays’, hanging them on the after lowers when not in use. When in use a Padeye and turning block on the quarter would bring the line to the idle primary winch for tensioning.
The Highfield fitting and inner forestay will be anchored on deck (when in use) with a stem fitting or padeye arrangement just aft of the rode locker and have a substantial chainplate in the rode locker thru-bolted to the anchor rode locker aft bulkhead / v-berth forward bulkhead.
The fore & backstays and the uppers shrouds on E.L. are 9/32 in. while the lowers are 1/4 in. Jeff (the rigger) and I feel this is sufficient. We currently plan on the inner forestay to be 1/4" in. – although we have not yet calculated loads.
BTW: Jeff and Rigging Only recommended a 130 to 135 % Genny for offshore, E.L.s 150% Genny would go into the ‘sail locker’

Anyone have any quality or suitability info on ABI products?

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Evening Light CD33 No.38
Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Double Headsail Sloop

Post by Guest »

Leo,

Another idea that you might consider is making your unused/leeward running backstay self-retracting. Bill Seifert tells how to do this with text and drawings as tip 37 (p. 33-36) in his book "Offshore Sailing". He has many useful tips, including a practical way to secure floorboards. Most authors just say it should be done without offering a method.

Offshore sailing is where my interest lies. Two weeks ago I took my CD26 on a 164 nm trip. 112 miles of that were offshore. The return leg had pretty varied wind and sea conditions. Planning a repeat of that trip the end of September to gain more experience.

Currently I hoist a block and temporary halyard when my jib halyard goes aloft. With this temporary halyard I fly a storm jib on it own wire luff to experiment with as a self-steering sail. However, I am interested in installing a permanent staysail-type headstay similar to what you are considering.

Leo, thanks for posting this topic and for all who are contributing. Please keep us informed as your research continues.

George
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Double Headsail Sloop

Post by George Shaunfield »

Sorry about the above message. Thought I was logged in.

George

Thoughts on the inner stay

Post by Guest »

Leo,

In line with your question.

With all the heavy weather LaVida has been in these past few years, I'd really love an inner stay.

I also consulted several of our local riggers regarding installation of an inner stay and they all, to a man jack caution against it.

I was told if I did want to do it, that I would have to support the stay with a strong back installed in the vee berth (they cited the forward bulkhead as not having the correct angle for the stay fitting to pass through the deck) and the creation of twin backstays to support the forces on the mast. Neither of these operations appeal to me at this time.

:?: Perhaps we could jointly retain a naval architect to examine our 33's construction and put forth some real caculations and suggestions?

I'll be interested to talk with you at length on this subject when we sea u at the annual meeting. Please put me in your schedule book :wink: !

sea u,
Mike