CD 30 Mk II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

king111

CD 30 Mk II

Post by king111 »

I'm thinking of buying a 1987 CD 30 Mk II, a Clive Dent design. I understand only 30 of these were made before CD shut down operations. I'd like to get any impressions fellow sailors have about the performance of this design. Sailing characteristics, how she goes in light air, etc.......Bob
barfwinkle

BAIT

Post by barfwinkle »

I have never sailed one of these beast, but word I have heard is that they tend to be slow AND defenseless!!!!!!! :D
Bill Member #250.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Utterly Slow and Defenseless

Post by Oswego John »

If I didn't know that this is an inside personal joke, I would have to think that it is a terrible thing to tell a guy how bad his boat is.

HE'S ONLY KIDDING people.

Zinnnng :D
O J
(paybacks can be rough)
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Fabulous Boats

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I've been aboard two of them. Adamarie and Macht Nichts. Great layout and a lot of boat. I'd buy one in a minute if I was looking to move up!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Shanna Paxton
Located in Saint Michaels, MD

Buy it

Post by Shanna Paxton »

I have hull 17 and although I had originally planned to buy a larger boat it has been a wonderful boat. It has a lot more room than the other CD's in the 30-33 range and sails well. I have lived aboard very comfortably and an able to singlehand it well. If the MKII you are considering is mechanically and structurally sound it is a great boat. Feel free to e-mail with specific questions. I have made a lot of installations since I purchased it.
Shanna Paxton
CD 30 MK II Hull#17

CDSOA Naval Intel Group

Post by Guest »

This often Feared, and sometime maligned, group must be pulling a tour at sea!!!

CDSOA Naval Intel Group

Post by Guest »

Bump :D
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

The CD 30 MKll is a great boat.... it sails very well and has a wonderful layout below.

I almost bought one a couple of years ago, but I ended up buying a CD33, I am very happy with the 33 but know the 30MKII would have been a great boat if I did not find my 33.

The boat is easily single handed and has a LOTs of room below, a safe boat that I am sure your signifigant other would appreciate.

I would also encourage you to get a good survey conducted on any boat you are thinking of buying..... remember looks are only skin deep and a good survey should tell you how the boat looks "under" the skin.

Good Luck

George
s/v Isabelle CD33
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
barfwinkle

Here fishy fishy fishy

Post by barfwinkle »

I have never sailed one of these beast, but word I have heard is that they tend to be slow AND defenseless!!!!!!!
:D
Bill Member #250.
king111

CD 30 MkII

Post by king111 »

I'd like to thank those of you who gave a serious thoughtful reply to my question regarding the sailing qualities of the CD 30 Mk II.
I disregard the frivolous irresponsible replies.
Stan W.

Easy there big fella.

Post by Stan W. »

king111 wrote:I disregard the frivolous irresponsible replies.
One of the more flamboyant CDSOA members is the passionate owner of a 30 MkII. I suspect the "frivolous and irresponsible replies" were merely an attempt to use humor to prompt him to give a fulsome response to your inquiry. In other words, they were trying in their own way to be helpful.
Bill Goldsmith

Just some fun;

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Dear King 111:

I thought a little more history on the joking here would be in order.

In the preparation for the July 2001 CD Rendezvous there was quite a bit of humorous discourse on the CD Board, especially between our then Fleet Captain Heintz (aka CD Naval Intel Group, aka skipper of Machts Nichts, a CD30 MK II) and Captain Dave Stump (who later suffered a serious medical problem and can no longer participate).

The joke was that the first of the fleet to arrive in Little Narragansett Bay would defend the port entrance using "biodegradable" water balloons. Capt. Heintz was indeed the first one there and we, in our CD27, had to run the gauntlet of the barrage in order to enter the port. It was great fun. Those of us who were involved back in the summer of 2001 sorely miss the humor largely fomented by the spirited Capt Stump.

BTW, the 30MKII is a great boat--if it suits your needs and passes survey to your satisfaction, you cannot go wrong!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

ex- CD27#173
Second Chance
king111

CD 30 MkII

Post by king111 »

I get it now! Thanks for the explanation. I'm sorry if I came across as a poor sport...just trying to make a big decision.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Well I thought that with the subject of my post being "Bait" it would have indicated that my response was not a serious one. I was hoping that a certain MKII skipper would reply and then he and I could exchange some one liners. NO FISH TODAY :(

Anyway, had that skipper replied you would have found out how much he truly loves his MKII (although some of his exploits have yet to be verified :D ) and he may reply yet.

Fair Winds and good luck on finding a boat (and avoid the terror of the fleet (yeah right) as best you can :D ).
Bill Member #250.