Typhoon cockpit floor grate?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Typhoon cockpit floor grate?

Post by RIKanaka »

On an Ebay auction for an 81 Typhoon some months ago I noticed, in the pictures, what appeared to be a Typhoon cockpit floor grate, included among the accessories.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pakehaole ... pg&.src=ph

Was this an original equipment or optional item when the Tys were purchased new or something the owner made or had made aftermarket? If it is OEM, what materials was it made of? I've not seen this in any other Typhoon.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

TYPHOON COCKPIT FLOOR GRATE

Post by Oswego John »

I highly doubt that the grate is OEM. My guess is that it is a homemade aftermarket grill of some sort. To my eye, it looks like plastic eggcrate in a wood frame. I have never seen anything close to a grate like that.

If it was installed in the cockpit floor, I would think that it would defeat the function of the cockpit self draining system.

I own an early Ty Weekender, hull #42, 1969 ???. The early Tys didn't have the self bailing feature. This boat does have a grate in the center of the sole. The grate is constructed of teak strips 1" x 11/16". The overall grate measures 19 5/16" long by 7 5/16" wide. It is a blessing when fitting out in the spring while washing, painting, removing leaves, etc.

This early version of the Ty WE also has a similar grate in the cuddy sole. I removed the teak grate and made a solid plywood filler to use in it's place.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
RIKanaka

plastic eggcrate in a wood frame?

Post by RIKanaka »

"plastic eggcrate in a wood frame"? I coulda sworn it looked like bronze with a nice patina! :wink:
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon cockpit floor grate?

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
nice looking typhoon,
the grate was made for the boat you can have them made or you can do it your self.
it is a nice looking typhoon,
looks allot like mine did years ago, until i changed it for the coast.
mostly teak was used.
winthrop
pakehaole wrote:On an Ebay auction for an 81 Typhoon some months ago I noticed, in the pictures, what appeared to be a Typhoon cockpit floor grate, included among the accessories.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pakehaole ... pg&.src=ph

Was this an original equipment or optional item when the Tys were purchased new or something the owner made or had made aftermarket? If it is OEM, what materials was it made of? I've not seen this in any other Typhoon.
Oswego John

Typhoon Floor Grate

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Bob,

Well, yes. After a second, long, hard look perhaps it is bronze with a patina finish.

At first look, it reminded me of plastic shelving. They do make a grid of plastic similar to that for pallets but the picture shows that the grate isn't thick enough for a pallet's required strength.

The grate material could very well be bronze. If so, I wonder what it would weigh. I also wonder what it would cost? Maybe mega bucks.

Personally, I wouldn't have something like that on my boat. My preference is for the traditional look of wood.. Something like that doesn't belong on my Ty. If the owner likes it, enjoy.

I'm still trying to figure out the compatibility of that grate going to the bilge with the self bailing cockpit feature.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Typhoon Floor Grate

Post by Neil Gordon »

The grate is made from those plastic squares ... my marina uses them in the locker room so that you're not standing in a puddle when you get out of the shower.

There was no original equipment grate on the Ty or any other Cape Dory. A teak grate is a nice addition though and I have one that was custom made by the former owner's son. No problem with drainage, although it's a good idea to check that the (out of sight under the grate) scuppers are free of debris. Mine fill with dog hair.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John

Typhoon Floor Grate

Post by Oswego John »

Neil G,

I think that I see what you're talking about. Are you saying that your grate rests on top of the cockpit sole and doesn't interfere with self bailing?

The real early Tys didn't have self bailing cockpits. Their soles were beneath the waterline. The grates went THROUGH the sole. Rain or any other water passed into the bilge for better accumulation for pumping.

Was the Ty grate installed by the builder? I can't say for sure yes or no, I don't know. If I had to guess the answer, I would be inclined to say that it was. I am the second owner and I bought the boat soon after it was built. The two grates were installed when I bought it. But like I said, I just don't know.

All I know is that it really does the job and that it looks good, too.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Typhoon Floor Grate

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Are you saying that your grate rests on top of the cockpit sole and doesn't interfere with self bailing?
The grate is on the cockpit sole, but there's sufficient clearance between the grate and the drains so that water flows easily. I've never filled the cockpit with a breaking wave, but as much water as I can add with the hose doesn't accumulate at all.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
RIKanaka

Dri-dek?

Post by RIKanaka »

Found something that looks suspicously like the grating material, although slightly different in that it does have some diagonal reinforcement.

http://www.dri-dek.com/ordernow.asp

I think teal probably looks most like a bronze patina, at least in the colors they have available.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Oswego John

DRI-DEK

Post by Oswego John »

Aloha Bob,

I think that you're onto the right stuff. If you look at the picture, you can plainly see it is made of one foot squares.

Good catch,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Mietz

Plastic Squares

Post by Neil Mietz »

I have seen plastic squares at Boat-US/ West Marine store.
They are about 1 foot square and lock together.
I guess you could build a cockpit mat using these squares.

Neil Mietz
________
OREGON DISPENSARIES
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 10th, '11, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

Bob,

Beautiful little TY! I love the refinished wood. What was your process for restoring it? I just bought a 1973 (#506) and really want to freshen the coaming and companion way hatch covers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Christian Sava
Neil Mietz

No Lifelines

Post by Neil Mietz »

Yes, it is a beautiful boat. With no lifelines to distract from its profile.
My typhoon also has no lifelines. People all the time say it's a great looking boat. I believe that lifelines take away from the aesthetic appearance of the Typhoon. The low freeboard and great shear line would be lose with the addition of lifelines. IMHO.
________
Honda civic type r
________
VAPIR NO2
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 15th, '11, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.
RIKanaka

Post by RIKanaka »

Thanks for the undeserved compliments on the boat. I really haven't done much to it since buying it last fall. I covered it over the winter, sanded, then applied a bottom coat and boot stripe in the short spring that we had and then put in the water. If you look closely at the more current photos (the ones with the better lighting which were taken this summer) the varnish is peeling off the brightwork in many areas. I'm looking for suggestions myself on refinishing the teak and have found many in this forum's website. I haven't had time yet this summer but hope to do more work in the winter and spring.

I'm also trying to resist the pressure I'm getting from my family to install a pulpit and lifelines. Next time they push for the installation I'll refer them to this thread!
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

Good point Bob! No lifelines. They definitely detract from the lines. I have a newborn and two year old and I will tie them to the cabin roof before I install lifelines. They'll get their sea legs yet! I'm planning the same projects this winter on the brightwork.
Happy sailing and enjoy the season, albeit short season, in RI.
Christian Sava