Splice for JRC radar cable

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gsd46

Splice for JRC radar cable

Post by gsd46 »

Finding an inline connector that will work on the main cable of our JRC 1500 radar unit has been difficult. The problem is that the cable has 3 number 10 awg wires as well as 5 number 26 wires plus a ground -- 9 pins alltogether of different sizes. I was advised that such a device didn't exist, particularly in a waterproof form. After scrounging everywhere here in Mobile and calling everyplace I could find I got lucky and called Allied Electric. The lady I spoke with said they had just what I needed so I took a little piece of cable to her and she ordered one for me. I got it yesterday and plan on soldering it in today. This connector looks to be the perfect item for this application. The nice lady told me that such connectors were common in military use. The connector is all metal and appears to be bullet proof and is even olive drab color. It has ample enough pin spacing for all the wires and I feel very lucky to have found it. If anyone needs such a connector I will be happy to provide you with the part numbers as well as the telephone number for Allied.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

I'd be interested in the information for your supplier and part.

Thanks!!
wayne grenier

radar connector

Post by wayne grenier »

We'd all be interested and appreciative because connecting and disconnecting through a juntion box every year is not fun!
gsd46

Radar cable connector

Post by gsd46 »

You can get a connector by calling 251-476-1875, ask for Kay Wright and tell her you want a connector like the one garrette Dylewski purchased earlier in the week. Keep in mind it was pricy--cost $158.15 including shipping.
gsd46

I had to find a connector

Post by gsd46 »

You mentioned using a junction box and I certainly considered using such but on our application it wouldn't have worked very well. I wanted a radar unit on our CD25 because there are a good number of large ships coming and going here in Mobile as well as power pleasure boats of every description. I once had a very close call on the Tenn Tom in my other boat several years ago--almost got ran over by a barge. Anyway, had to figure out a way to connect and disconnect the radar cable to raise and lower the mast and it had to be waterproof because its exposed to the weather and this was the best solution for my application that I could find.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Garrette,

What is the diameter of the connector? I'm looking for a connector that is small enough to be - practically - tucked through a hole in the mast during stepping. I'm not interested in making any large holes in Ariel's mast if I can help it.

Thanks.
gsd46

Connector size

Post by gsd46 »

The connector is about an inch and a half in diameter and six inches in length. To get exact dimensions call Allied Electric. I can only tell you that this was what I needed for my boat.
John R

connector

Post by John R »

Sounds like you purchased a Amphenol (brand) mil-spec plug. These are readily available in many different configurations and sizes. There are several other similar brands on the market. When you need plugs and adapters and other such connectors and are having difficulty locating them locally or your local sources just can't be bothered to try and help you contact Newark Electronics in Chicago. Nine times out of ten they will have the component.