running backstays for cd-30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Genesis

running backstays for cd-30

Post by Genesis »

During a rigging inspection of my recently acquired cd-30, the rigger advised running backstays to balance the forces of the forestay. Has anyone out there added these, found it necessary to add them, or had any problem resulting from the lack of them? Why weren't they installed by the builder?
mike feeney

backstays

Post by mike feeney »

The crew,to properly utilize running backstays, has to release the windward backstay as the boat comes through a jibe and more or less simultaneously set the new windward backstay. Miss it in a racing boat like a Star and the mast comes down in two pieces. Miss it on a CD (if you installed running backstays) and merely scratch the boom and cause chaffing on the main.
What a nuisance on a cruising boat! They would only be useful off the wind and I have never heard of a CD30 or any other CD rig coming down as the result of the factory rigging being inadequate.
I suppose if you wear a belt and suspenders......................
Mike Feeney

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows
Tom in Cambria

Running Backstays

Post by Tom in Cambria »

Don't forget that on a cutter rig in addition to the usual uppers and lowers found on a sloop you also have extra lowers running aft to compensate for the staysail stay which gives you extra support between the spreaders and the masthead. I've seen three sailboats dismasted in heavy weather. In every case the mast bent just above the spreaders. The lowers terminate at the spreaders which protects the lower part of the mast. With an extra stay between the matshead and the spreaders that you don't find on sloops, I think you're less likely to bend a mast on a cutter. Also the cross section of the mast is much thicker on a Cape Dory than on many other boats. When my mast was lying on saw horses in the yard several people came by and asked me if it was a custom mast as the wall thickness was much stouter than what they had on their masts. Also a keel stepped mast is much stronger than a deck stepped mast because the deck partners help support the mast.

The combination of keel stepping, extra thick mast section, and an extra stay compared to sloops make me think running backstays are unnecessary. A running backstay gives you almost no additional lateral support and if you're in doubt about the backstay I'd go to a bigger backstay or double backstays or beef up the aft lowers rather than go to running backstays which are a true pain. Every dismasting I've seen the mast bent to the side when beating rather than forward when running, and those were on Catalinas and the like. I'd tend to think that Carl Alberg knew what he was doing when he designed these boats unless you're planning a trip through the roaring forties or something unusual like that. A rigger, after all, has a financial incentive in selling you more stays.

I'm not a rigger, but I'd get a couple of other opinions from riggers before I installed running backs with their additional chainplates and so on. Has anyone on the board ever heard of a Cape Dory backstay failing or a CD being dismasted because the backstay parted?

JMHO
sakajote@msn.com

running backstays ??!

Post by sakajote@msn.com »

Hi--I think this is poor advice at best. I race a Star now and used to race a 24'er that had true running backstays. I cruise a CD30C. The CD has a backstay and lowers that angle aft. If the mast is in column, ever so slightly raked aft, the spreaders not dented or bent, the staysail forestay and the main forestay and backstay intact and properly tensioned, you are fine. If you want to add some adjustability add adjustment to the backstay--a bot of bend can help depower and help in pointing--but quite honestly, to a degree that is of debatable value on a cruiser---unless you have boat units to spare. Enjoy good design and simplicity!
Best, D

Post by Guest »

Also a keel stepped mast is much stronger than a deck stepped mast because the deck partners help support the mast
My mast is deck stepped. I was not aware that any of the 30's came with keel stepped masts.

But I do concur that Cape Dory/Spartan spars are good rugged things, and the CD standing rigging is robust. I wouldn't bother with the runners either. I will say, though, that I keep my inner stay at a fairly low tension because there are no stays directly opposing its pull, and i've noticed that if I crank down its turnbuckle good there is a noticeable bend in the mast.

Regards, Fred
Tony Batchelor

running back stays

Post by Tony Batchelor »

I was surprised to learn your CD30 does not have running back stays as I had the impression they were standard fitting.

For sailing in generally I also think they are rather a problem as the boom can not go to leeward unless the lee stay is released and if your not careful you can loose the rope over the side so the whole thing starts flapping in the breeze.

If your boat does not have running back stays and you do not plan on using a spinnaker then why give your self something else to get in the way.

I hope you have inspected the chain plates for the shrouds the backstay and the forestay. you may also find the mizzen mast chain plates (unused on a cutter) .

On my CD 30 all were made of mild steel, "a great choice of material" all but the forestay plates had to be replaced because of excessive rusting.

cheers
Jay Kanavos

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Anonymous wrote:
Also a keel stepped mast is much stronger than a deck stepped mast because the deck partners help support the mast
My mast is deck stepped. I was not aware that any of the 30's came with keel stepped masts.

But I do concur that Cape Dory/Spartan spars are good rugged things, and the CD standing rigging is robust. I wouldn't bother with the runners either. I will say, though, that I keep my inner stay at a fairly low tension because there are no stays directly opposing its pull, and i've noticed that if I crank down its turnbuckle good there is a noticeable bend in the mast.

Regards, Fred
My CD30C (B-layout) mast is also deck stepped, but it also has a compression post below the deck stepped mast. My understanding is that all B-layouts have this feature. Perhaps this is what the writer was referring to?

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA