Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender motor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron Kennedy

Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender motor

Post by Ron Kennedy »

We have a used Typhoon and do not have a motor. What type of motor would be advisable (size, long or regular shaft, etc.?)
Thank you for your impute.
Mark Schoen
Hull#1393, Oriental, NC

TY Motor

Post by Mark Schoen »

I have a 2 HP Honda 4 stroke. It works fine and moves me along at 4+ knots.
Mark Schoen
SV BabyRuth
1977 Typhoon
Hull#1393
Oriental, NC
Tim Mertinooke

Honda 2hp

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I have a honda 2hp for my Ty. It works perfect for me.

Pros include:
*Light (28lbs)
*Burns little fuel
*The tank is attached to the motor so there are no hoses or tanks infringing on the cockpit and there is no need for a vented tank down below that lets vapors escape into the cabin.
*Small in size so it doesn't look clunky ruining the prettiest lines in the harbor.
*Can push the boat over 4knots in calm water at slack tide
*Starts every time first pull
*Air cooled. There is no impeller to worry about cooking if the engine comes out of the water over swells.
*Centifugal clutch so it is one-hand operation

Cons include:
*It's 2hp!
*With 3 people on board going against the Merrimack River (current reaches 4 knots at times) going head into the wind I go a little under 1 knot over land.
*Short shaft so if you go up to the foredeck for whatever reason the motor comes out of the water which can cause it to race if you are underway.

[/b]
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Appleton68

Motor

Post by Appleton68 »

I have a 3.5 Tohatsu with a long shaft. Works fine. Long shaft is the key.
Greg
Neil Mietz

Ty Motor

Post by Neil Mietz »

This past winter I purchased a new leftover Honda 4 cycle 2 hp motor. So far it moves the boat at a good speed using only half power. I have the long shaft model. Only disadvantage is the prop drags in the water on starboard tack.
If you have little or no current, like a lake, the Honda 2 is for you.

Neil Mietz
Ty 529
della Mare
________
Volcano Classic Vaporizer
________
EASYVAPE VAPORIZER
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 15th, '11, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
etarm

I use a 55 lb trolling motor

Post by etarm »

It works fine on lakes. I'd want something more powerful in current or tidal conditions. The battery is GP27 located under the companionway. I use a 15 watt solar panel to keep it charged.

Ed
robert brown
Beverly, Ma.

outboard for ty

Post by robert brown »

I read so many of these posts and was really worried whether my 3.5 nissan short shaft would move the boat or not. while the short shaft is not ideal. it will get you where you want if you are smart, sit in the back, do not go to the bow. low idle moves the boat at 4k. not bad
Nick Price

Post by Nick Price »

We use aq short shaft 2.5 HP Johnson 2 stroke. The motor bracket was modified with a couple of pieces of angle iron to drop the motor down closer to the water. Only works beacuse of the small size of the motor and used only when it's calm. If there's wind, you can sail.
Nick
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender motor

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Ron.
if you are in a river or lake you can use a 2 or 3 and you will be fine,
but if you are on the coast use a four or five.
when the whether turns on you and pushing your boat ever where else but the direction you want to go,
thats when you need the extra power to get you home.
make sure you get the right power for your boat and the area as well.
i use a four / long shaft because i use it on lakes and coastal waters as well and some times off shore.
you will need the extra power.

winthrop
Ron Kennedy wrote:We have a used Typhoon and do not have a motor. What type of motor would be advisable (size, long or regular shaft, etc.?)
Thank you for your impute.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender motor

Post by RIKanaka »

Recently picked up the Honda 2 hp 4 stroke, long shaft after my Seagull died on me (I think rust in the tank clogged the fuel line). The Honda motored us nicely up Narragansett Bay from Wickford Cove to Greenwich Cove, a distance of about 10 nautical miles, during the unplanned outboard break-in due to no wind. Hard to say how it would perform under less calm and glassy circumstances but, as per the break-in instructions, I never had it past half throttle, so I expect it would do okay in moderate circumstances. Used about a tank and a half of gas, 1.5 liters total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Lang

I use Suzuki 5Hp 4 stroke Long Shaft

Post by Lang »

Had a Honda 2Hp 4 stroke, from my dinghy days. Dont like it because only 1litre fuel tank. Runs out in 1.5hrs of motoring, difficult to refill when out in rolly waters.

Bought a brand new Suzuki. Easier to start, and using with 25litre tank which sits nicely on the cockpit floor, under the tiller. Moves me along at 5knots on half power. Problem is (or inconvenience), need to flush the engine after use.
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

I use a long shaft honda 2 hp on my Ty daysailor. I sail in Puget Sound (Admiralty Inlet), where sometimes the current outside our Jetty is 6 or 7 knots. No amount of horse power is going to make my Ty do better than five to five and a half knots through the water. Its not the hp but the length at the waterline that controls this. Speed over the ground is irrelevant. You're going to max out at between five and six knots through the water. Overcoming wind resistance is another matter, but if there's wind why not sail?

The key is to pay attention to the tides and currents and work with them not against them. I think 2 hp is completely adequate. If you get a larger motor thinking your going to be able to buck a strong current, your setting yourself up for some real trouble.

Glenn
Ty daysailor "Ondine"
Glenn Barnett