Leg One

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Leg One

Post by David Sabourin »

The Mad Hatter is off to Cape May late Friday night or early Saturday am. We see that the winds will be generally from the north.....wouldn't have it any other way....right on the nose to head north to the C&D Canal. On the other hand, northerlies on Sunday while heading south to Cape May will be a treat. And at 10 to 15 kts it might be a "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" downhill to Utches Marina.

We will leave her at Utches until Friday the 24th when we're off to Block Island.......

We will have Verizon Broadband access along the way and will keep the Board posted as to our progress if anyone is interested. If we can figure out how to post pix we might post a few of those as well.....

David & Beth
Brett I. Miller
West River, MD

Living Vicariously

Post by Brett I. Miller »

Hey David,

Sounds like a blast. I'm green with envy, particularly given that we're still on the hard (literally and figuratively). A perfect storm of work stuff and the complexities of the repower have gotten the better of us this spring. Almost there, though.

Definitely keep us posted of your travels and fair winds to you and Beth.

Brett
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Repower

Post by David Sabourin »

Brett,
Every once in a while we take a detour over to your marina to see if you have launched yet.......hmmmmmm....I did see a shaft protruding from you cutless bearing.....that's a good sign.

Hope you launch soon,
David
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Chesapeake to Cape May.

Post by David Sabourin »

We made it to Cape May Sunday afternoon at about 3:00pm. We had the advantage of fair tides and currents and was able to sail for about 75% of the time. Even down De Bay. Although by 1:00 on Sunday the winds came around to the northeast and blew at a steady 25 kts with gusts over 30.. seas on the east side of the bay make up quickly and we had 5 to 6 footers pretty steady. Several other boats making the trip turned and ran back north or east to find shelter closer to shore. We were the only sail boat to complete the trip I think.....two trawlers who spent the night in the basin at Chesapeake City ended up along side us at Utches and some stories to tell as well.

Well that's all for now......we're off to Block Island Friday am....I'll post some updates as we go along.....

david