Bail at the top of mast for spinnaker halyard on CD 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

bobjenny

Bail at the top of mast for spinnaker halyard on CD 30

Post by bobjenny »

I have a Cape Dory 30 that is missing the bail at the top of the mast that holds the block for an extra halyard (spinnaker, genniker, whatever). I need information on what size and where I might get a replacement bail. I've tried RigRite (I understand they supplied the original) but they seem to be kind of hard to get a hold of, because of their fire I guess. Any help on size and supplier would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
Steve Laume

Masthead bail or crane for CD-30

Post by Steve Laume »

I too had been looking for a bail or crane before launching. It seems like a pretty common peice or fairly interchangable hardware that is rather hard to find. What I have now is a block bolted in between the head stay and the mast. This does not seem like an ideal set up but I have seen it on other CD-30s. There apears to be great potential for chafe and or jambing. I believe the masthead is 1&1/2'" wide. It looks like a standard fitting would work drilled and tapped into the masthead. Someone else mentioned a crane that slipped over the masthead and was pinned in place. I haven't seen these offered by West or Defender so where do they come from? Just a bump here looking for that rare crane, Steve.
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Rig-Rite

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

I was able to get the part from Rig-Rite without any delay. I found it on their website, then contacted them by fax.http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/ ... bails.html

mast head

Post by Guest »

Several years ago I purchased a gennaker from north sails, (cart before the horse). There is not much flat surface up on the masthead , I had a windex and vhf antenna, I wanted to mount an st60 windvane and rotovecta, anchor light and swivel block for the gennaker halyard, and still keep the windex in place. Not enough room. My soulution was to fabricate out of 1/2 aluminum plate a platform for all the above. It is about 5" wide and extends aft beyond masthead about 2" and forward of the mast head about 5" this allowed me to mount all the gear including the halyard block for the gennaker well forward of forestay, no tangles.
Mounted plate with 5/16 machine screws 4 per side. drilled and threaded into mast head. This was done with the mast on sawhorses in conjunction with re-wiring and adding spreader lights. Works just fine. Good luck Ben
Jay Kanavos

Spinnaker Bail

Post by Jay Kanavos »

I have a CD30 with the bail on my mast. I have some pictures which I would gladly send out. The piece of hardware is made by Spartan Marine (at Robinhood Marine today) not Spartan Rigging. I know this because there is an etched Spartan Galley on the side of the piece. I looked at their catalogue on line and I don't see it, but perhaps if you wrote to the company they might have it. The link to the catalogue is:

http://spartanmarine.com/index.html

From the pictures, it appears to be nothing more than a bail welded onto the side of the stainless steel plate that holds the bolts and screws for the staysail halyard block and roller reefing connection point.

Again, if you need pictures, just let me know and I'll email them. Perhaps you can get some ideas?

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
mahalocd36

Rigging Only has them

Post by mahalocd36 »

Rigging only has spinnaker Bails.
Part numbers were MMSBS/MMSBM and MMSBL for Small, medium, and large sizes ($32/$48/$64) in the 2004 catalog.

We've had good experiences with them.

We actually got ours from Lefiell because Rigging Only didn't have them at the time. But they look the same.
http://www.lefiell.com/masthead_assemb.html