Changing Oil in Hurth Tranny -Ed Haley

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Changing Oil in Hurth Tranny -Ed Haley

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Hi, Ed...

This is to verify that the best way (and probably only) way to do this if the tranny is in place, is with a small Jabsco pump inserted in the dipstick hole, like you have been doing. The drain hole at the bottom of the tranny is not accessible in our boats.

Even if it were, we run the risk of stripping the threads when screwing the plug back in, and of not seeing a possible leak if there were one because the plug was not threaded in correctly. The guys at Transmission Marine in Ft. Lauderdale, where I take mine to be serviced, have instructed me to use the pump. It takes very little oil to fill that tranny, so just about a pint of oil, maybe less, should come back out. Hope this helps. :wink:

If you removed some already, put your dipstick back in and see what kind of reading you get, maybe you already have all of it out.
Zeida
Ed Haley

Changing tranny oil

Post by Ed Haley »

Thanks, Zeida.

Just ordered an oil extractor (Tempo Oil Boy) to do the job! It was on sale at WM and Boat for $10 off. I'll probably change the oil twice to remove as much sediment as I can. Oil is cheap. Transmissions are expensive. From what I've read, the synthetic transmission oil removes heat for 3 times as long as the petroleum product - 900 hours vs 300 hours.

There was no way to even get my hand on that drain plug let alone put a tool on it. The small diameter hose on the Oil Boy will hopefully get to the bottom of the tranny.