Awgrip CD 36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rschattman

Awgrip CD 36

Post by rschattman »

Has anyone awgripped a CD 36 hull? If so, what is the price range one can expect?

Richard Schattman
Richard Schattman
-------------------------------------------

Hailing Port: Mallatts Bay, Vermont
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Richard

I had my 36 Awlgripped dark green 4 years ago in Massachusetts.
Price at the time was about $6,000. This stuff is tricky to spray, so make sure who ever does has done it before. Not a great project for on the job training.

Regards

Jeff
drb9

Post by drb9 »

Jeff, How is your hull looking after 4 years? Any idea how long the finish should look good?
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Awlgrip still looks very good, however in order to achieve the "mirror like finish", one really should wash the hull twice a season with Awlwash, and clean once a year with Awlcare. The latter is a polymer cleaner, applied like wax (except much easier) and buffed by hand. Not the most fun job, however well worth it. When finished, the hull looks like it has been freshly painted. Highly recommend these products for an Awlgripped hull.

Jeff
Woody

Paint

Post by Woody »

Jeff
Where did you get these products? Do you recall how much they were? Not that it matters. :wink:

I had myhull done in 1993 and she is getting just a bit tired. I have been using Starbrite but wouldn't mind trying to get Amazing Grace a bit brighter. My job ran about $6,300 back in 1993. It really has held up very well but can chip if you are not carefull. Awlgrip is extremely hard.
Woody
Dalton

Awlgrip

Post by Dalton »

My Robinhood 36 was awlgripped when built for the show season in '96. It was a $5,000 option. Joe McCarty, the GM there, told me he could renew the finish for about $2,000.00, not including any repairs. But, he said, If I ever wax it, it'll be around $5,000.00. Wax removal, and of course scratch repair is the labor intensive part. You have to take a rag with solvent and clean the wax off. fold the rag to a fresh surface and do another patch, discard the rag and get a clean one and on and on. Rinse the hull and see if the water sheets or puddles and do again until it sheets.

I too now use Awlcare and Awlwash, she still looks great.

My previous boat, a '65 Alberg 35, was awlgripped and looked pretty good after 15 years.

G Dalton
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

Having done the job, start to finish, I have to say that dewaxing is really a pretty insubstantial portion of the job compared to fairing and surfacing.

Dewaxing properly took about an hour and a half on a 30 foot boat. Even doubled for a 36 that's only about 3 hours.... A gallon of dewaxer and rags—call it another 150 bucks.... I can't believe that they can charge a 3,000 dollar premium for that! Sheesh, I'm in the wrong business!
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com