genoa's, size and %

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pmontgomery

genoa's, size and %

Post by pmontgomery »

new guy here with a 1980 cd 25 freshly purchased and sailing, I am wondering if anyone knows how to measure up a genny and figure out what the % is. I am in the beginning stages of putiing a roller furler on her, probably the harken model 0 or the smaller 00al if anyone has suggetions on that as well i would much appreciate it. thanks a bunch
Didereaux

Measuring jib/genoa percentages...

Post by Didereaux »

CD-25 130% genoa - Luff 26' 8", Leach 23' 4", Foot 13'.

CD-25 130% genoa - Luff 26' 8", Leach 23' 4", Foot 13'
"J" the distance from the front of the boat mast to the spot where the forestay meets the deck.

LP - A great deal of confusion exists as to the meaning of the percentage number of a Genoa or smaller headsail. For instance a sail may be described as a 150% Genoa. Your headsail size is defined by another dimension called the LP (luff perpendicular). Luff perpendicular is measured as the distance from the clew to the luff at an angle of 90 deg. to the luff. This distance divided by "J" * 100 is the percentage size.

Lay your sail down flat, put a right angled object(say a framers square) aligned along the luff. Sight along the edge pointing inward, move the squarre up or down the luff until the in pointing edge points at the clew. Form this point on the luff measure straight across to the clew. Then use the above formula.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
pmontgomery

sail size

Post by pmontgomery »

i think you just put to rest a life long mystery. I am going to try it out on my headsail and use the genny numbers as a guide, thanks again for the reply much appreciated.